Framing Flies

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/13 09:28:06 (permalink)

Framing Flies

So this isn't a tute on how to tie a pattern - instead one of how to frame a fly/flies for display. I never really did this before and I know there are places where you can go to purchase the frame/shadowbox for this but I decided to go the cheap way - learning while doing it. I went to AC Moore and bought a shadowbox, matting, and a backerboard. Total cost was around $15 because the frames were 50% off. I also went to the local plastic supply and bought 1/8" clear acrylic dowel - $2.00 for a 6' piece.  I had a real hard time finding this thinking that a Lowes, ect. would have it but they didn't. If you do this, you may want to make some phone calls before hand. Also for this I used an Exacto knife, double sided tape, a Dremel tool, T square, ect. which I already had. Believe me for the first time doing this - I learned alot on my own but I did follow a bit the instrctions in Michael Reidenbach's book - Tying the Classic Salmon Fly. A good step by in there. I'm not too happy sith the labeling but - anyway - here it goes:

The Materials:

1. Cut a piece of foam backerboard the size of the inside of the frame. Then cut strips of this board to go around the large piece you cut for the inside. Cut enough to go around the main inside piece twice - layering it. Use double sided tape to secure the strips. You are basically building a "box" to display the flies.

2. Take the acrylic dowel and cut pieces about 3/4 to 1" long. Cut these by scoring the edge with a razor blade. Roll the dowel along a hard table while putting pressure straight down with the blade. Then simply break it off. It will break clean.

3. Using a very small drill bit - here I used a # 60 which is the smallest I had or could find - drill into the dowel close to the end. Then using a file or the dremel tool create a bevel on both ends of the dowel. One for ease of which to insert into the foam backer board and the other - for display (I thought it would look better with a beveled end instead of a straight cut since this is what you would see). I used the Dremel tool for both of these - the drilling and the sanding.

4. Insert the fly into the vice and attach the dowel rod to the hook point making sure it is straight and square.
I assume you could use a thick super glue for this or a two minute epoxy but here I used ClearCureGoo and a UV light. Speeds things up a bit. These pics show two different flies being attached.

5. Once you have the fly/flies attached to the dowels, lay out on the foam matt board the location of the flies. Then using a seven penny common nail puch through the board to create the hold in which to insert the pegs/flies.

6. Insert the fly/flies into the peg holes, label and complete.

post edited by steely34 - 2010/02/13 09:39:16

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

7 Replies Related Threads

clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Framing Flies 2010/02/13 09:47:25 (permalink)
    Beautiful! Someday, when I tie good enough to display flies, I'll know how to do it. I'd love to have that hanging on the wall.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Framing Flies 2010/02/13 09:50:29 (permalink)
    Very nice....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Framing Flies 2010/02/13 12:19:54 (permalink)
    Very cool, Steely.  Never framed any before.  Have mounted them on a piece of driftwood and put them in a display case.  Gonna have to try framing one.  Thanks for putting this up!

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Framing Flies 2010/02/13 15:20:04 (permalink)
    very nice job but ya missed one lil thing MY WALL! lol

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    smallie2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Framing Flies 2010/02/13 17:00:28 (permalink)
    That's sweet, nice job!
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Framing Flies 2010/02/15 10:47:09 (permalink)
    great steely!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: Framing Flies 2010/02/15 11:04:10 (permalink)
    Dude, that is beautiful! Definitely on my to-do list one day when I learn to tie really fancy beauties like those!

Thank you for sharing!
    Jump to: