Crappie's are shying away

Author
Greenpikebait
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/12 16:22:15 (permalink)

Crappie's are shying away

Have been pounding the crappie at Glendale lake!!!! me and a few other people to be more accurate. My question for everyone is ????? I have found the fish in the daytime and after dark been catching some decent fish, but what else can i try besides minnows? Im new to this ice fishing game and i enjoy it very much so......the hummingbird flasher and its the cats meow if u ask me! anywase just looking for sum advice on bait selection if someone can help me out i would really appreciate it! If anyone can help me i would gladly share some info on where the fish are at but they are getting more picky on bait presentation and sizes of minnows. Smaller has been working better!

Newt

3 Replies Related Threads

bronzeback2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Crappie's are shying away 2010/02/12 19:36:25 (permalink)
    The smaller the better has been my experience be it minnows or tubes, twisters and jigs during the warmer months, as well as through the ice the smallest fatheads, teardrops and jigging spoons, the only advantage of a slightly bigger presentation is you might pick up the occasional eye or bass, but I've even caught them on smaller stuff, disadvantage of smaller stuff is gettting it back down in the strike zone quickly. Try a small jigging spoon like the Swedish pimple or buckshot spoon tipped with some maggies or spikes or just the head of a minnow when the bites good think you'll do allright.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Crappie's are shying away 2010/02/12 19:59:49 (permalink)
     I slammed 'em pinchin' fatheads in half, while others around me couldn't buy a bite on whole ones. Give it a try if you haven't yet???? Another time when it was tough I just used a bare hook & couldn't keep 'em off, they might ov thought it was larva or somethin'???

Crappy
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Crappie's are shying away 2010/02/13 10:10:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: crappiefisher

I slammed 'em pinchin' fatheads in half, while others around me couldn't buy a bite on whole ones. Give it a try if you haven't yet???? Another time when it was tough I just used a bare hook & couldn't keep 'em off, they might ov thought it was larva or somethin'???

No joke !! Iced fished with a guy a couple times who got some nice crappie jigging a bare #12 gold salmon egg hook. Would never have believed it if I didn't see it !!Crappy

post edited by gizmos - 2010/02/13 10:11:40

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    Jump to: