Lund meets breakwall

Author
Blowchowski
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 577
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/27 13:35:24 (permalink)

Lund meets breakwall

This happened last August in Conneaut.  New boat and boater.  No one died, but two were life flighted out.

The guy was returning after dark, and it was said he used his autopilot coupled to his gps to guide him back to Conneaut.  He impacted just north of the gap in the west wall. 

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..

28 Replies Related Threads

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/27 14:09:38 (permalink)
    The bilge pump still works...

Ironhed
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/27 15:08:08 (permalink)
    Try explaining that one to the wife, let alone to the insurance company. Lund must be well built.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/27 15:20:42 (permalink)
    Wife was on the boat as were their kids... I think she was life flighted.

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/27 15:38:56 (permalink)
    Hope she is alright. They must have been cruising to get completely on the rocks like that.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/28 12:07:37 (permalink)
    Says a lot about the weld/material quality of Lunds.  She'd still be floating if they weren't still up on the rocks (with the help of the bilge, it looks like).  Hope everyone recovered from it.
    centerpindaddy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/28 15:16:08 (permalink)
    The wife was not on the boat. My buddy has a cottage on the beach about two miles west of the breakwall and we saw and listened to the whole deal go down. We were sitting on the deck at the cottage drinking a bottle of wine when we saw the Coast Gaurd coming from Ashtabula with the lights on. Out of curiosity I went in the cottage and turned the marine radio on to see what happened. We did not hear the boat hit, but could hear on the radio the conversation between the Conneaut Rescue and the CG. We knew somebody was hurt pretty bad when the Conn. rescue asked the CG if they had any oxygen on board. It was pretty wild scene when the lifeflight helicopters finally took off. One of the copters came right over our cottage on the way to the hospital. The next morning we went perch fishing and took the boat by the wall to get a closer look. We were stunned at the sight of the boat stuffed into the wall. Unfortunately I did not have my camera in my tackle bag.

I probably should not post this newspaper article as I see the OH numbers are blacked out, but it is public record.

Error using GPS system blamed for Conneaut boating accident
    By Ron Rutti, The Plain Dealer
    August 10, 2009, 10:36AM
    CONNEAUT -- A boating accident that left five people injured outside Conneaut Friday night was caused by a navigation error, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
    Jim Perebzak of Wadsworth, owner and operator of the boat, plugged the wrong coordinates into the GPS navigation system and left the boat on autopilot, said Jim Gorman, an investigator for the state Division of Watercraft.

The 21-foot boat was estimated to be traveling between 30 and 40 mph at the time it crashed into the west breakwall. It missed the harbor by approximately half a mile, Gorman said.
    "We haven't gotten a chance to talk to the operator, but he probably forgot the breakwall was there," Gorman said. "It's a common thing people forget, since GPS systems don't take into account things like breakwalls and piers."
    The Coast Guard said the harbor lighthouse and all navigation lights were working properly that night.
    Perebzak was pulled from the debris approximately 30 minutes after the accident. He suffered face and possibly neck and chest injuries, Gorman said. Perebzak is in Akron General Hospital.

His two sons, ages 6 and 7, suffered minor cuts and scrapes and were treated, then released from a hospital in Conneaut Friday night.
    Perebzak and his sons were returning from a fishing trip on Lake Erie with his coworker, Richard Bell of Salem and Bell's 3-year old son. Bell, who had a cut on one leg, was also released that from the hospital that evening.
    Bell's son broke both his legs and was flown to Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital in Cleveland for treatment.
    All five passengers on the boat were wearing life jackets, which likely helped cushion the impact of the collision, Gorman said.

dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/28 17:07:34 (permalink)
    That is a bad way to end a fishing trip, but it made for an awesome post.  

I snag steelhead on the reg.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/28 20:28:30 (permalink)
    Auto pilot in the dark? 30 to 40 MPH in the dark?

Seems like a poor choice even for a newb. Praise the Lord they all lived.....an accident like that...at that speed, could have went a very different direction. Thanks for postin' the pics....perhaps it will be a lesson for others.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/29 06:47:56 (permalink)
    Thank God no one got killed..

What a waste of a fine piece of equipment..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/29 10:00:22 (permalink)
    275 horses on a 21 foot aluminum, he was probably only going half throttle. Still, I can't imagine going that fast at night let alone on auto pilot. That was probably a $40,000+ rig, a shame to see it destroyed. Glad to see that no one was killed. Still a testament to the construction of Lund Boats.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/29 11:20:29 (permalink)
    Whoever rigged it did a pretty good job as well.  All the riggers, rod holders and motors were still bolted in place.  That is a lot of shear/moment placed on those bolts when there is an impact like that.  I can see the drivers side windshield and console didn't fare as well when the operator crashed into it.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/29 11:47:53 (permalink)
    You know what though, I have motored to conny in the dark....To defend this guy, it is not very well lit and can easily be missed...I think they need to take some of that $5 dock charge and put some lights on the breakwall....Atleast 2 people hit that wall per season, what is it going to take? If it's the least bit foggy, you can't see the green beacon on the left side of the wall, barely seeing the lighthouse...Sometimes the channel beacons are not even lit, making it hard to navigate when you are inside the breakwall...Last year someone missed the channel and beached there boat as well....That still does not compensate for the 30-40mph and autopilot in the dark...That is just plain stupid....what if there was another boat coming out of the channel? there is no time to compensate...

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/29 13:51:26 (permalink)
    did anyone notice that the prop shaft is GONE?
    onestring
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/29 15:14:15 (permalink)

Trout About: did anyone notice that the prop shaft is GONE?

yea i saw that thank god the kids werent killed was there any booze involved
    post edited by onestring - 2010/01/29 15:15:39
    centerpindaddy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/29 15:17:50 (permalink)
    Along with the skeg. There is also a downrigger ball hanging next to the kicker. I was amazed that nobody was ejected from the boat. The girl in the cottage next to us hit the wall at night in about the same spot. She and two of my buddies went clean over the wall and landed in the harbor. She had black eyes for the rest of the summer. I also know another guy that hit the wall and he to went out of the boat on the other side. He says he does not remember hitting the wall--only swimming back to it and climbing up. You would think that something as big as a breakwall would be hard to miss. In actuality it is very deceiving at night as you can see the harbor and dock lights on the other side. This is especially true on a calm night whereas the waves or chop give the wall a little definition. 
    centerpindaddy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/29 15:25:18 (permalink)
    onestring, According to the Coast Gaurd and everybody I talked to there was no alcohol involved. Unfortunately the guy had the boat ramp and harbor entrance as waypoints--just picked the wrong waypoint.  
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/29 17:46:17 (permalink)
    The operator was pinned in the boat where the console and hull meet.  I did edit out color associated with that......

He's very fortunate the boat stayed on the wall, and didn't roll back in, or he never would have gotten out..

I have to wonder if he didn't see the wall just before impact.  There are fresh scars on the wall to the right of the boat that would indicate the initial point of impact.  I think I have a picture of that someplace..

centerpindaddy, are you over by Harrington point?

Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/29 17:46:30 (permalink)
     You can't go that fast in the dark. Someone could have been out there without lights on or broken down with no power for lights. I especially would be extra careful, with kids onboard. Of course easy for us to say sitting on our computers. We have all done stupid stuff. I'm glad it turned out as it did! I have seen guy's on Lake Arthur at night, without any lights on at all. At anchor you have to have an anchor lite on. How about a guy blasting them broadside because he didn't see them until it is too late.! Yes, those gps, go how the crow flies. They don't know there is a breakwall in front of them or an island. Another thing that I thought about. the units that I have had, let you know when you are close to your destination and that's when it's time to slooow down.
    post edited by Split Shot - 2010/01/29 17:52:50

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    centerpindaddy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/30 00:07:37 (permalink)
    Blowchowski, Very close--Just East. Do you know anybody in that stretch or have you ever been there?
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/30 07:45:08 (permalink)
    Was at Arthur on regatta night to watch the fireworks and when heading back to the launch in th middle of the lake was a kayak with NO LIGHTS WHAT SO EVER **** near ran him over!!! Cruising at 8 mph on a 27 foot pontoon boat He.Never ever seen him till him was right in front of the toon luckily for him he was on my Starboard side.I Yelled where are your lights???????? He replied I DON"T NEED ANY!!! Should have turned real hard to wake him over just for being ignorant to the boating rules/laws.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/30 09:32:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: centerpindaddy

Blowchowski, Very close--Just East. Do you know anybody in that stretch or have you ever been there?

We're right next to the township park above the beach.. Our neighbors family owns a couple of places on Harrington point. Had the place in Conneaut for ten years now.. Love it there..

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/30 10:05:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1
    Still a testament to the construction of Lund Boats.

Twin plated hulls from bow to midship.
    centerpindaddy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/30 10:29:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

ORIGINAL: centerpindaddy

We're right next to the township park above the beach.. Our neighbors family owns a couple of places on Harrington point. Had the place in Conneaut for ten years now.. Love it there..

This summer will be my 30TH. My favorite place in the world. It is pretty cool watching my twin 8 year old girls swim and run the beach. They love Lake Erie and the cottage just like their Dad.

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/01/31 03:50:46 (permalink)
    man that was a bad call i hate coming in at night i find it tough even at ash and connie wow and 30 mph looks like the auto was going for the dock i take mine off at night no breaks and at night most lakes have a 5mph speed
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/02/03 13:40:21 (permalink)
    I can think of many other lakes to fish at night other than Erie...I love to fish, but you'll never see me on lake Erie at night. I'm leary enough as it is in the daytime on that lake let alone at night....this unfortunate story should be a lesson to all.....NEVER rely on gps or autopilot as ur only source of navigation...cruising at 30\40 mph when u cannot see??? Are you kidding??? Plain stupid IMO, especially with kids on board.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/02/10 01:52:00 (permalink)
    ShutUP, My absolute FAVORITE lake to fish at night is erie. You should try the night bite sometime. It is a lot of fun. And much less ramp and lake traffic to deal with

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/02/10 11:15:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

ShutUP, My absolute FAVORITE lake to fish at night is erie. You should try the night bite sometime. It is a lot of fun. And much less ramp and lake traffic to deal with

Calm august nights, it's magical out there....

(emphasis on calm)

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Lund meets breakwall 2010/02/12 18:54:44 (permalink)
    I bet it is nice, but I just don't trust it....besides I do enough fishing during the days.  However the sound of less launch traffic sure does sound nice!
    Jump to: