Extended Bodies

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/24 09:14:50 (permalink)

Extended Bodies

FF22 asked about creating extended bodies and I thought I'd put this up. There are different materials you can use to make them such as a dubbed body like I show here and also a Elk hair body with the thread open wrapped through it. Then there are also companies that sell extended bodies already made up that I think are actually more durable. (search the 'net for them) They also make a tool that attaches to your vice that has a needle already attached. That's what I always thought was the downside to these and this method of creating them. They don't last too long and personally I don't think they can take the place of a well tied dry that is tied in the conventional manner. They ride in the film much better I think. Also - for me these take too long to create. But that's just my thoughts on them - I'm sure others feel different. Guess I'm too much of an old school type. Here's how I've always made them - perhaps someone has a different method.

1. Insert a straight needle into the vise.

2. Start the thread towards the rear of the needle and tie in a small clump of deer hair.
Here I used coastal deer since it is much finer. Also and I found this is kind of important - Coat the needle with baby oil as this will help later with sliding the body off the needle.

3. While holding the deer hair tips with your right hand tightly wrap the thread forward towards the needle point completely covering the hair.

4. Trim off the hair tips.
I use a razor blade to do this but to each his own.

5. Dub a small ball on the end of the body.

6. Behind this dubbing, tie on two microfibbets, and wrap tight against the dubbing. This will angle the tails outward. You can also tie these on the sides - one on each. It's just faster by tying them on top I guess.

7. Coat the body with head cement, dub towards the rear and whip finish off.

8. While holding the needle with a pair of pliers, push the body off the needle towards the point.
***Caution - You may want to use a pair of smooth jawed tying pliers to make this push as it can be tight coming off. Also it keeps your fingers away from the needle point which could be cause to jab ya in the fingers when it suddenly slides off. Trust me - it comes from a bad experience! And this is what ya get..

9. Tie the body on top of the hook shank.
Using superglue - put a dab at the end of the body between the tails. Helps to make it last.

10. Finish fly as normal

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

3 Replies Related Threads

Green Weenie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Extended Bodies 2010/01/24 09:40:40 (permalink)
    I agree with Steely....they don't last long!  But they do look nice in the fly box. They fool more fishermen than fish. Just to add my .02, if you put a coat of dubbing wax on the needle before starting to tie the body, it will slide off the needle alot easier.

fly fish....save a worms life
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Extended Bodies 2010/01/24 23:01:39 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, i didnt even think about the durability of the extended bodies when i posted. guess it would be more simplistic and realistic to just tie the traditional tie

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
    ~ John H. Bradley
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Extended Bodies 2010/01/25 07:22:22 (permalink)
    FF22, here's another extended body method you may like...might be a bit more durable (if less realistic).

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/fotw20090810.php

I usually just use furled antron when I make a fly of this type.
    Jump to: