Dubbing Twister

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/04 06:34:06 (permalink)

Dubbing Twister

There has been some questions on dubbing twisting and how to use the tool so I thought I'd put this up to try and explain it. Hope this helps to explain it for ya.

The different types of tools you can use:

1. When you get to the point in your tying where you will be using the loop, take the thread and wrap it around your finger and back to the hook. Take a few wraps around the shank securing the loop.

2. Attach the tool you use to the loop of thread.

3. Take whatever dubbing material you are using and place it loosely in between the strands of thread that form the loop.

4. Take the twister and spin it which will tighten up the loop and the dubbing material.

5. Keep spinning the tool till you get the desired result.

6. Wrap the material on the shank where you want it and tie off.

*** On the tool I'm using here - to spin the loop you need to hold the white insert on the tool and spin the wooden handle. On the others you simply turn the handle. Many times before I wrap the material, I'll take hackle pliers and attach them to the end of the loop, and while keeping tension on the loop so it doesn't unravel, I'll remove it from the tool. Then I'll do the wrapping while holding the hackle pliers. For me - it gives better control.

post edited by steely34 - 2010/01/04 06:38:33

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

7 Replies Related Threads

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Dubbing Twister 2010/01/04 15:28:26 (permalink)
    If you have a capabilities to make a video it may help some more as Im still lost at step 2-3.
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Dubbing Twister 2010/01/07 01:36:15 (permalink)
    quick question, what could i be doing wrong if the dubbing doesnt seem to "tighten" up. like when i spin the twister but the dubbing doesnt seem to stay tight? should i apply dubbing wax?

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
    ~ John H. Bradley
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Dubbing Twister 2010/01/07 04:21:30 (permalink)
    HC - sorry but I don't really have video capabilities - try and explain a bit what your having trouble with from 2 - 3.
    FF22 - What type of tool are you using? If your using the second one that looks like a "T", you need to pull back on it after you fasten the loop to make the loop tight - then spin it. On both of the first two tools you spin them by rolling it between your fingers. On all of them remember to always put the dubbing material in between the strands of thread that forms the loop. You can use dubbing wax if you need to but you really don't have to. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the dubbing doesn't seem to stay tight. Perhaps your not spinning it long enough because it will get tight (possibly not as tight as if you'd use fine dubbing for dries which is when I don't use the tool anyway - I just dub the normal way) if your doing it right. Can you post a pic or two of your spinning in action? Maybe then we can see what's going on. PM me if ya want.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Dubbing Twister 2010/01/07 12:07:56 (permalink)
    sounds good steely, i will sit down and try some tonight again and see if i cant figure it out. if not ill post some pics. thanks alot

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
    ~ John H. Bradley
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Dubbing Twister 2010/01/07 19:38:30 (permalink)
    FF22.  Check this out.  I know everybody has their own methods to do the dubbing loops.  Here is a video that might be able to help you out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1IQn664rg&feature=related

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Dubbing Twister 2010/01/07 22:21:35 (permalink)
    Here's a video on one method of tying using a dubbing loop, its alittle sketchy but should answer some questions
    http://www.hatches.tv/play.php?vid=169
    post edited by Flyguy638 - 2010/01/07 22:22:10
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Dubbing Twister 2010/01/08 01:53:26 (permalink)
    thanks guys, that helped alot. i will try to get some pics uploaded asap if i cannot figure it out. thanks again

~ John H. Bradley
    Jump to: