Cased Caddis

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/03 09:04:26 (permalink)

Cased Caddis

Several years ago, while fishing on Kettle Creek in Potter Co., I decided ot keep a couple of stocked trout that I caught for dinner that night. Cooked them over the fire pit with a bit of lemon. Good eatin by the way!! Anyway, while I was cleaning them, I noticed their stomach's were full of caddis larva still in their cases. I had tied caddis larva and had some patterns tied with herl and brown hackle palmered through it and clipped short for the case. Although it was somewhat successful, one night I was tying in the popup camper I had at the time and thought about how to possibly make a better looking case - one that imitated the sticks and all that are attached to the natural cases.  Went through all kinds of materials and thoughts on it. Came up with the idea of melting synthetics that were wound on the hook. Tried all different colors before I came up with a combo that I thought would work. Went out the next morning before heading home to try them out. Ended up going to Little Kettle to give them a try and ended up having a morning I won't soon forget. Anyway, here is the pattern. You may want to burn a scented candle in your tying room as you making these up though as they do tend to stink a bit.

Materials:

1. Start the thread and wind back to the bend.

2. Tie in two pieces of brown or green chenille at the bend on top of the hook shank.

3. Dub on the thread the antron - olive/grey mixed

4. Wrap the dubbing over where you tied in the chenille, finishing with one wrap in front.

5. Tie in two more pieces of chenille on the side of the hook shank facing you , dub and wrap where you tied in the chenille again finshing with one wrap in front.

6. Tie in two pieces of chenille on the bottom, dub and wrap the same as above.

7. And on the far side of the hook shank do the same as above. When finished with this, take your fingers and compact the material by pushing it all back slightly on the hook shank. Take two or three wraps in front to secure it all.

8. Clip the chenille to length as shown, whip finish and clip off the thread, removing the bobbin.

9. Now comes the fun and smelly part. Remove the hook from the vice and using hackle pliers to hold the hook at the eye, protecting the thread, begin melting the material with a bic lighter.

10. When you get the result you want, put the hook back in the vice and using a dubbing loop with nat. brown muskrat fur, spin and wind on a small collar in front of the case.

This creates the "slime" look that is present as the natural is coming out of the case.

11. Tie in a thin piece of nymph skin and wrap this forward to just behind the eye.
You may have to split the width of the material with a pair of scissors to get this width depending on what you have.

12. Tie in a piece of peacock herl, take a few wraps forward, whip finish.

13. If you want - take a pair of needle nose or tying pliers and bend the hook slightly up at the muskrat collar - giving it a bit more natural look.

When wet:

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

8 Replies Related Threads

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Cased Caddis 2010/01/03 09:40:25 (permalink)
    pretty SWEET right there

oh yeah......that has got to be one HOT FLY hahahahahahahahah

www.2bonthewater.com
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Cased Caddis 2010/01/03 12:26:57 (permalink)
    Nice tie Steely.

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Cased Caddis 2010/01/03 18:33:46 (permalink)
    great tie, i was fishing the fly project on kettle last summer with anadromous and we noticed that the bottom of the stream was littered with cased caddis, we didnt have any luck, but i will sure have a bunch of those wth me next time i go to camp.
    steely, how do you get the dubbing loop to work? i have so much trouble getting it to look reasonable and to spin that i always have refused to even use that technique

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
    ~ John H. Bradley
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Cased Caddis 2010/01/03 19:00:34 (permalink)
    22 - There's been a few questions on that before - I'll try and put up a pic tute on the dubbing loop tomorrow. Love that Kettle Creek!!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Cased Caddis 2010/01/03 19:47:41 (permalink)
    Here are two pics of Cased Caddis from Kettle........

I have a good pattern for the pebble caddis that is similar to stealy's but a different body of course......I will try to set up a tutorial for that in the next couple of days.

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

http://flickr.com/photos/fellowshipanglerleague/
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Cased Caddis 2010/01/03 22:39:28 (permalink)
    Great tie, I'm gonna have to get after them. I got to kettle each year and I've never really fished the fly Project to much. I usually go after the wild trout when I'm up.

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Cased Caddis 2010/01/04 02:51:58 (permalink)
    steely great tie you could tie that on a swiming caddis hook too
    i think for the natural bend you speak of.just a thought

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Cased Caddis 2010/01/17 19:11:33 (permalink)
    steely, what size hooks do u recomend for this tie, i tried it on a 16 nb hook and it just seemd crowded, and the head didnt look "long" enough (the latex).. and when burning it, it doesnt seem to want to not turn black, not enough dubbing?

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
    ~ John H. Bradley
    Jump to: