good ice?

Author
Last Cast 69
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 127
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/26 15:03:06 (permalink)

good ice?

looking to go local for the next few days and wondering if anyone knows if the big burden or crooked lake are frozen? the second burden was 7" black ice a few days ago but the big one looked a thin in spots. given this weather im just not sure what its gonna be like. Any help is appreciated. This weather make me want to cry!

3 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: good ice? 2009/12/26 15:30:01 (permalink)
    69, I am way down here in nnj and seeing how bad it is here, i think i'm a cancel this meet. this iffy accu weather calling for freezing rain etc... with my luck, the odds of hitting a patch of black ice going it some 200miles each way is simply not worth risking.. i done 360s before even on state highways..i'm going to hold off until better forecasts..If and whoever goes, i hope for a safe trip on them higher road elavations , if the lake ice is 7 inches or more, i'd say it is still safe.. any issue other than maybe alittle rain water on top of ice should NOT be any problem..if anything, it would make better ice fishing conditions! the rain water on top on the thick ice will create draining whirlpools pouring thawed out natural chum slicks into drill holes like fish flakes in a pet tank, it will attract the small pan fish which in turn should attract the bigger fish, hopeful theory in anycase! I usually experienced better ice fishing over whirlpooling holes. Good luck to all that go tomorrow, i'm going to wait anyday day. happy holidays and best wishes all.
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/12/26 15:35:47

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: good ice? 2009/12/26 16:43:39 (permalink)
    Blitz, all the reports at the bait shops say everything in Renn County is pretty much good to go.

Burden (all three) have good ice, and I doubt this slush did all that much since it wasn't really warm or anything.

I've heard 6" at least everywhere.  Snyders is always last, and it is good to go for quite a ways.  Open water in the middle still, but 5"+ everywhere worth fishing right now.

Good luck dude!
    Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: good ice? 2009/12/26 19:01:57 (permalink)
    Looks like Ill give it a ago. Will hopefully be posting pics in a few days. These temps and rain have been making me antsy but I guess it really does take quite a lot to destroy 7" of good ice. Tight lines and dry socks to all.
    Jump to: