Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6343
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/18 13:08:04 (permalink)

Fly Rod Identification Help!

Gentlemen,
     As most of you know I repair/restore old fly rods  I recently found an old rod that I posted under hidden treasures.  Here's my problem: I can't identify a maker for this rod.  The rod has orange wraps at the ferrules and the guides and also has red and green intermediates.  It looks like a frigging Christmas Tree.  This thing is Very old but it was put together well.  The wraps are spaced:  Red>3/4">Green>1.25">Red>3/4" and so on for the entire length of the rod.  And the guides look like they were put on after the intermediates were done.
      As I stated earlier this rod was re-done (badly) one time in it's past and while I know the intermediates are correct I'm not sure about the guide wraps. 
      Does anybody have a clue as to what it could be.  I'm thinking Chubb; but that is a guess. And I can't post pix for some reason.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

6 Replies Related Threads

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2974
    RE: Fly Rod Identification Help! 2007/09/18 16:46:37 (permalink)
    Anything stamped on the real seat?

Gone Fishing
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod Identification Help! 2007/09/18 17:07:32 (permalink)
    Dano,
         NOPE!  No other identifing marks anywhere.  That's why I think it may be Chubb because they didn't mark their stuff.  But I have been wrong before.  It has the old thimble type end cap/reel seat seat with the sliding band and the old style 2 grove chubb ferules. Also,, the widing check is small chubb.  and the grip is the short cigar type.  5.5" with a severe taper forward.  It's 9 feet long which would make it non-chubb.  What I'm going with is unknown maker who used Chubb fittings in silver washed brass.  That's another point.  The metal is silver washed brass; not normally used on expensive rods, but not chrome plated steel either as on a cheap rod. But then the number of intermediates and their spacing indicates much time consuming labor put into the rod.  Either way I'll probably just wind up giving it away to somebody who doesn't expect it.  Dano:  You've got mail

Green Weenie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Fly Rod Identification Help! 2007/09/18 18:42:28 (permalink)
    Do you think that whoever redid the rod may have canabilized another rod to do the one you have?  Also, if the rod is as old as you think, it may have been glued together with horse glue.  I know they used to do that and have lots of windings on the blank so the sections would not seperate in hot weather when the glue melted.

fly fish....save a worms life
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod Identification Help! 2007/09/19 00:06:24 (permalink)
    Green Weenie,
         Thought crossed my mind but the "ghosting"  from the intemediates was very pronounced.  All the ear marks are there for it to be an 1890-1915 rod.  I'm just trying to figure out who made it. 

Catch-22
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Fly Rod Identification Help! 2007/09/24 21:21:25 (permalink)
    Try http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/Forum  You will not find a more knowledgeable group of people when it comes to bamboo.  Pictures are crucial, though.  If you have any, mention it when you post, even if you can't post them yourself.
    Jeff
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Rod Identification Help! 2007/09/24 23:33:40 (permalink)
    Catch-22,
          Thank-you.  I've never found that forum myself.

Jump to: