How long you sit?

Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/14 11:13:09 (permalink)

How long you sit?

How long you sit in the treestand ?  Let's assume you've seen no deer and wind, weather are good.

For me, the first week I stay as long as possible.  I get a little jumpy around 11 but always try to stay until 12.

Mid-season, I try to stay until 11, sometimes I get down earlier.

The pre-rut, rut, I try to stay as long as possible.  I can make it to about 1:00 or until I'm completely oblivious of my surroundings.  What's the secret to staying in a tree all day ?  There are very few guys that stay up from daylight to dark.  We got any here? 

15 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/14 11:36:20 (permalink)
    Early season hunts for me are AM and late PM events.  Gets too hot and I have football to watch on Sat. middays.  I try to last until 9am in the AMs and get into stand by 5 or 5:30pm in the evenings.  I'll hunt longer as the season progresses and the last couple of weeks, as long as the boss at home doesn't complain, I'll try to stay in stand all day.  Luckily, the last 2 seasons, I have only been out filming anytime after the first week of the season because I harvested nice bucks early in the year in '05 and '06.  The '05 back was taken about 15 min. before legal time was up on the first Sat. and last year, the weather looked great on the first Friday (first night high 30's or low 40's temps) so I took the Friday AM off from work and scored on my biggest buck to date (134" 10 point in my avatar) at 8:45 am (I think).
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/14 12:44:41 (permalink)
    Early season I tend to hunt till about 9:30 in the a.m. and back out about 4:30.

Early november I hunt all day (I take a week off).  If a stand is hot I will stay in it all day or until the wind changes.  If the action is so-so I usually move to another stand at midday just to break up the boredom, but I stay in the woods all day.

How to sit all day??  It is tough to do.  No secrets just do it.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/14 13:18:25 (permalink)
    I'm just spazzy sometimes.  I guess if the action is good, then time would go by quickly.  My treestand isn't the most comfortable but I don't want too much comfort for two reasons.  One, I'll go to sleep.  Two, comfort usually means bulky and I like to minimize what I have in the tree.  Maybe I'll try reading a book or something.  Like I said, I can go 6/7 hours but that's about it.  I'll try to put every effort to stay up all day.  Just need something to break up the boredom. 

On a side note:  I got a thermacell for the early season bugs.  I hear they do the job.  No odor.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/14 13:27:43 (permalink)
    The first 2-3 weeks of archery, I will usually sit from 45 minutes before daylight until around 10am. I'll go to my parents' house, take a nap, shoot my bow, and get a bite to eat, take a shower in scentaway soap, and be back out by 4:30-5:00pm.

Last week of october and early nov., I usually start staying out the majority of the day, although I still go home, to get a bite to eat, and take a shower (my parents house is a 15 minute fourwheeler ride from where I hunt).  If I dont take a break, I get very distracted and have a lot of trouble focusing. Not to mention I nearly always switch to a different stand in the evening anyway.

What do I do to stay alert in the stand to avoid boredom? Well, anticipation of what may come by helps. Other than that, I dont do much except some calling. I watched "the truth about bowhunting 4" a few days ago, and noticed that one of the guys was reading a book a few minutes before he killed a nice one. Maybe I should try that one this year. But, then again, I usually fall asleep after reading; so, it may not be a good idea.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/14 13:47:58 (permalink)
    The issue that I have is that I have 4 stands set up over a one mile hike, steep uphill walk.  Not something I want to do twice in a day and not something I will do with a climber.  It's just one of those spots if you're going to hunt it, you got to stay all day.  1 pm is as good as dusk up there.   Guess I could go for a walk midday or something.  It won't be until late October when I hunt them, so a walk may be necessary. I feel safe with my current sleep setup but I it's hard getting up (I'm getting fat duuds ), so I'd be busted in a heartbeat by a wary deer.
    lastcast12
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/14 19:00:17 (permalink)
    i usually sit till about 9:30 to 10 AM, and get out usually around 3:30,4 in the early season but in the mid season and rut i stay out as long as i can. Its hard because i have school everyday and football most weekdays but i get my time in ne way i can. I have the advantage of having my best stand a  5min walk away from my house so i sometimes only get out 1.5hrs to and hour....but so far for the three whole years of archery i have had i have gotten 2 does so its not that bad.
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1668
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/14 21:16:11 (permalink)
    I also only hunt until 9:30 -10:00  and again 3:30 -dark in the early season. Once the chase starts If I have the time I stay all day. Tree stand hunting can be tough to stick out but I like the challenge of ground hunting so I can move around to break up the boredom some.
    Mike
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/15 07:42:24 (permalink)
    Those are about the same hours for me.. You can always try a little stalking and calling to break up the boredom of mid day..I usually don't see a lot of deer movement in the middle of the day. With one exception the last week. I swear these mature buck around here go almost totally nocturnal this time of year. You have a very small window in the morning and evening. I prefer the morning hunt. I think you have a better chance at catching him getting back to his bedding area late. During that last week or two when they are running around with a woody all bets are off. We all know how stupid we get when running around with a woody..lol

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/17 23:28:36 (permalink)
    I try to sit longer as the season goes on.  I can sit all day, but I usually get down around midday to stretch my legs, but if the deer are moving all day, I'll stay put all day.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/18 08:19:55 (permalink)
    Early season, mornings suck ill stay till about 10. Then Ill come back about 3 if the weather is cool enough.

last week of oct on, ill stay all day. I do have a comfortable treestand which helps me stay, rather then taking a nap at home or eating lunch at home, I do both in the tree. You wouldnt believe how many bucks I shot waking up from a nap in the tree. Last year, I opened my eyes just as the buck was coming down the drag line. First buck I ever shot, I opened my eyes cause i heard leaves crashing.

One thing I have in my backpack is a small handheld blackjack game. Need to buy a few others, they help take up time. Its camo'd with tape, I camo everything from water bottles to scent killer bottles. Its the details that pay big dividends!
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/18 10:22:05 (permalink)
    The best time to stay all day and the only time is OCT 31 to close . My system is to hunt edges of food plots 5am -10 am and evenings 5PM till dark . I don't get real into archery until halloween which ; I definately stay all day . The key there is you must be comfortable to stay all day . I like a heavy ladder stand located in a funnel ( piece of woods between feeding / bedding areas). Take snacks that dont crunch when you chew em , a large gallon pee jug for the obvious & I smoke like a chimney so the butts go in too. Play the wind & put your scent out ahead of you . Once you start seeing 140 B&C bucks you'll stay all day. If I see a tree 6"-8" in diameter rubbed in an area ; that is enough to get me in a tree all day . I've noticed the big ones only frequent an area about once every third or forth day so patience is a must. A soft cover book calms my patience and also thinking about my past hunting experiences to visualize how the deal will go down . I have to keep my mind occupied . Keep you're eyes on the prize. 
    FishHuntForever
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/18 16:23:59 (permalink)
    Since I hunt both MD and PA I have started my archery season.  It is normally real hot yet in mid Sept and early Oct so I sit from 1hr before daylight to around 9-11 depending on movement and temperature and bugs.  Then I go back out again depending on weather anywhere from 4-5:30 on work days until dark.  As it gets cooler I will sit longer and normally see more movement.  I try to sit all day come prerut through the rut but sometimes change locations around lunch time and eat my carry in lunch.

Good luck out there, I have alreay passed on two easy shots to get bigger deer, love this time of year.  Got to run, heading to the woods right now.
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/21 10:59:35 (permalink)
    I stay FOREVER.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/22 13:45:24 (permalink)
    Came home this weekend to do some scouting. Crawled up my tree about 6am (2B) no bow, although I have a tag, too hot.  I was equipped with a camera, first light I saw a mom and 2 fawns.  Anyways, 7:30 comes and I see a guy walking through thickets, making an insane amount of noise, carrying a cross-bow.  I decided to sit for a little longer and at about 8:15 another one comes walking by me(at least he was on a trail) carrying a cross-bow.  The second one looked kinda like elmer-fudd....I wish those 2 would have read your guys posts and tried to sit for at least 2 hours.  I dont know what they thought but your not gonna stalk a deer in woods that thick especially with how green everything is.  Im not gonna be too happy if these clowns do the same to me next weekend when I have a bow in my hands.

P.S. Normally I would have stayed til about 10
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: How long you sit? 2007/09/23 11:14:14 (permalink)
    I'm just curious how those guys though they could sneak up on a deer and kill it with a crossbow. Then again, maybe they were the kind of guys that think their crossbows shoot like rifles.....
    Jump to: