SALMON RIVER TOMORROW?

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/15 11:42:53 (permalink)

SALMON RIVER TOMORROW?

I'm heading up to the Salmon River tomorrow 11/16.  Unfortunately, I'm gonna just miss RJ, Jimmy and Red out there as they leave today, but I'll be sure to call RJ and ask for scouting info tonight.
 I'm going to leave around 3am so I can into Pulaski by dawn, get some bait, and try the haunts in Altmar.
Supposed to be a beautiful day, anybody else free to go up?  I hope to be back in the area by around 6-7:00 pm.

17 Replies Related Threads

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/15 17:23:31 (permalink)
    wish I could, the following week I am off chasing fish and trailing phish,

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/16 20:32:09 (permalink)
    yank i want to go ! pm me!! lol seriously!

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/16 20:48:03 (permalink)
    well pm from yank was appreciate, i can now relax a bit after his reply lol.. still going to try and get my friend to share that 300 mile each way overnighter..hopefully just after thanksgiving . i just want to catch em and release em..rj jimmy red when you going again?

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/16 20:57:51 (permalink)
    Can't begin to say how much I HATE that frickin' river.  God**** driftboats hogging every decent upstream spot for hours, crowded out by all their clients who are catching fish  with the same god**** setup I can't get a sniff with. Theyre trading the same the hole all day, never get off it.  Nothing relaxing or fun about ****-to-elbow fishing. Never again. You can keep the god**** salmon and steel they taste like **** anyway.  I guess the Tres Amigos caught all the browns, I didn't see one caught all day. DSR?  A humiliating kick in the nutz again.  Argggggggghhhhh.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/16 21:19:29 (permalink)
    lol, hey yank,, i'm starting to feel sorry for those fish! i can only imagine how they must feel with all them lined hooks zipping past them no but i hear you man, i been there more times than not, it can be very frustrating, that is why i keep at least a 30pak in the cooler

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/17 12:42:38 (permalink)
    Haha Back, thats what was missing.  Fuhgeddabout it, I'm done til ice.
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/17 12:47:31 (permalink)
    That's rough indeed Barry  ... i want to try it again too but not ready yet. Of course seeing what the other boys did last week was just crazy.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/17 13:03:36 (permalink)
    I find that if you can squeeze down at least a Baker's Dozen worth of Busch cans before the sun comes up, the rest of the day tends to move along quite pleasantly...  Just skip sleeping the night prior too- it adds to the fun.

Granted- I did wipe out in the woods once.. 

Maybe twice.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/17 14:12:22 (permalink)
    haha, Jimmy how many cans does that confluence cp hold? i'm jealous.. i want one of those screw the fanny pack..i want a 32.oz hydro pak for mornin bllody maries on the salmon.. seriously chest pack indeed, I know you had done your research!

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/17 15:08:43 (permalink)
    Johnny-

The William & Joseph "Confluence" can hold four or five canned cocktails without issue, and there's still plenty of room for raingear, first aid kit and all my other essentials in the back pockets.  I know for a fact it can easily haul four bottles of Saranac Pale Ale into the Neversink Gorge without problems!  (It is lighter on the hike back out!)

The good thing?  I can fit at least a 12-pack down each leg of my waders for the 'long haul' days! 

I know they make some bigger model chestpakcs, but the Confluence is perfect for my frame.  I looked at a ton of packs a few years ago when I made the transition away from my 30lb vest.  My shoulders were killing me after a week of fishing with guests/clients in the Catskills, etc.  The chestpack solved all of that for me.

I often forget I am even wearing it.

I paid cost since Rich Bradley at Fir Brook Flies ordered it up for me.  He helped guide for me when I ran the fly fishing school at Frost Valley and I think he hooked me up.  I dropped like 75 bucks or so, I think.

Best bet would be to find a store with a few models and try them on so you know what you're dealing with.  The drop-down fly shelf is awesome in my opinion (I don't lose as many flies to cold fingers), but for some folks it may get in the way of casting, mending and fighting fish.

But for me, it is perfect.  I recommend chestpacks to anyone why lugs around a heavy vest with no support all day or for several days in a row.  Fly fishing is tiring enough without having the stoop over from heavy shoulders!

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/17 15:54:35 (permalink)
    Agree about the fly vest , my third flyvest is most comfortable but it is getting tired and does weigh me especially with cans.. i think i want what you got .. a few seasons ago I dropped 30 bucks on a gander chest pack but never cared to use it( too loose and long draw straps just didn't appeal to me. It will make a present for some youngin ..i want the confluence .. i use a plano softpack fanny for now on hikes and shoreline spooning but that too is a pain to unbuckle peetime. I like the tight compact upper fit high enough tokeep off the waisteline..other good features like the table for bugs etc and line dispenser..the retractables and cushioned shoulder harness..i'm ordering one today. i read fishpond makes a good line of packs but, i haven't seen anything like the features on the confluence. thanks jimmy

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/17 16:18:24 (permalink)
    I think FishPond stuff is really great too...  Most guys seems to mistake the William & Joseph emblem on my pack for FishPond gear.  Truth is, they are both pretty great companies...  Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I don't own anything else made by W&J, but I would recommend their stuff to anyone.  My pack just finished its fourth solid season on the water and still looks as good as the day I got it! 

I hear FishPond is similar in design, and hopefully similar in quality too.  My pack is built to last!!!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/17 17:05:32 (permalink)
    I see it for 88 bucks free shipping but this site also has closeouts the midge and the escape.. still not sure yet which one i'm purchasing.. Again, you mentioned some don't like a chest pack while fishing but the confluence looks compact and easy on off.. what about for rain? you wear it under or over?

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/17 18:46:23 (permalink)
    Barry, it's a tough place up there. Sometimes you hit it good but most you just flog water. It took me many years & countless miles before I figured it all out. Still in most the river wins.
    Knowing the fish that swim the rivers , a tug on the line & when it all comes together those few times like last weekend is why I can't get enough. Learn the ways of the fish...
    We fished high & fished low both each own different presentations to different stages of fish. We were fortunate to find few if NO people in the areas we fished, rare but happends.

Don't give up , get determined !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/17 20:21:44 (permalink)
    That is te downside of SR fishing, I guess that is why they privatized the lower section,I know Barry's frustration because where there is highest expectations there is also highest disappointment especially traveling solo such far destination.. Most of my flyfishing is away from crowds so for me going solo on a crowded weekend would bum me out big time if caught zero too. Best try to reserve it on weekdays and with a least one or couple friends in case somebody has to go to jail lmao.. I can't stand the heards during salmon season!!! Even the thought of trying it alone on a weekend especially after all those huge brown monster pics you omegoes posted! I like midweek vacancy and clean maids, I'm hoping if i go alittle cold for the finger gloves but not sub freezing all day to mess with my fly gear.. But the colder, the lesser sr crowds .. i wouldn't go if the water was too high or if heavy wind was in the forecast I wouldn't mind the 300mile each way if i knew less than a dozen anglers were going to be parked parked at sportsmans pool or trestle or whereever on the stream they are biting best.. I don't even mind after a hard day trying that i do not land a fish! that is why it is called fishing. Tomorrow i am finishing a couple jobs.. my ph.answering machine will be on when i'm gone fishing

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/18 17:21:25 (permalink)
    Back- if you go, I hope you have good luck... 300 miles is quite a hike.  I was very surprised at the crowds, last year I had most pools to myself, or at most two people around me.  I'm quite used to getting skunked by now, you'd think I could enjoy myself anyway. Bring plenty of beer. 

RJ- I tried to call you but I never got a hold of you, and I lost Jimmys #.  I wanted to steal your spot! I would have been happy with just one brown to end the sneid.  My flyfishing technique sucks still.  All i tried were a wooly bugger and a estaz egg, but my presentations probably sucked.  Still, floating sacs should have got me SOMETHING I woulda thought. I  just am unable to find the solution to that river. You guys got it pegged good though.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: SALMON RIVER TOMORROW? 2009/11/18 19:11:35 (permalink)
    I remember last time I was there two years ago about this timein nov.. me and my buddy walked the ;png path to the trestle pool.. only a three or half a dozen anglers were dishing..plenty of room and it was slow tranguil and i was popping bushes and peeing on trees when after an hr or so.. some spey pro came down between us and within a few drifts down the pike he hooked the first.. i thought too myself stop swigging and start drifting the dam eggsack.. not a moment sooner this avid pro angler hooked into another and landed the first steelie/released it .. me and my buddy got closer trying to find out who what when where etc...lol again bang! the spey guy did it again! ..at that time knowing he knew what we didn't know..i asked him and he was happy to give me some great pointers i will never forget.. becsause after he explained the rigging and the deep channel the fish were packed in.. i caught two before 3pm.. this was the first day on a two day trip.. my friend wouldn't take the advice and went fishless.. after it was over i went to the tackle shop and bought the floats 5 lb tippet next day i hooked six landed 3 steelie using the same technic.. as the spey floater explained. i was using blue on bt eggs with small split shots spaced so that the sack just bumps bottom.. the float is ideal for adjusting pr dept of the pool you are working.All the pools have holding spots and the drift is usually in the deeper channels in befor after the pool. It all comes down to presentation and I had enough room to spincast those days. Crowds would spook the fish into tighter deeper holes, that is why you seen a few catching them.. i seen it happen alot for that reason up there. Barry , it was just a crowd that ruined it,, if i seen that crowd i would of tried finding an opening up or downstream. i'm still not sure if i'm going to make a trip.. gl next time!

Jump to: