Ammunition Prices

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Rpgyard
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 93
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 21:48:14 (permalink)
Yes its true I know very little about anything.  As far as not adding anything of value to this thread, I will tell you the same thing I told Dr. Trout.  I come to this website for entertainment purposes only.  There is very little on this website that adds any value to anyone's life.

This place provides me with 10 minutes of laughter when I am bored.  Nothing more!  I said what I said simply to get a rise out of people, and you took the bait.  I really tried to get a rise out of spoonchucker, but he was to smart to fall for it.  You did griffon, and for your sake I am sorry. 

As far as anything that you said about me I could honestly care less. Like I said this is all in good fun to me.  However, in the future you may want to not call perfectly good strangers racists and extremists.  Especially when you post pictures of yourself on this website. 

By the way what a great buck you shot.  I only hope to see a deer like that from my treestand someday, none the less kill one.

I hope nothing I have said here was taken the wrong way or hurt anyone's feelings!  Ironhed, sorry for the **** throwing I caused!
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/18 23:19:06 (permalink)
My theory about ammo prices is that it is not Obama that caused the huge increase, it is the IDEA of Obama that has driven it. Has he pushed a major piece of gun legislation yet? I dont think so, but shooters believe that it is only a matter of time and are stocking up. Ammo manufacturers are happy to oblige. And I've never heard of any company that would sell something for ten bucks if the market would bear charging twenty. Demand goes up, supply goes down....what happens to price?

Seems pretty simple to me.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/20 08:18:16 (permalink)
The supply and demand model is indeed a simple macro economics model, commonly know, ironically enough in this context, as guns and butter.

But to advance the model into actual use, there is also the theory of diminishing returns.  At what point does the price get high enough that demand starts to drop because of it?  This is the "what the traffic will bear" point and beyond that, profits actually drop because a sale isn't made at all at a certain profit margin vs. a sale being made at a slightly lesser profit margin.

To be honest, the $60 per box 240's, p***es me off, but it won't change me using that rifle due to the limited amount of shooting I will do with it -- sight in, practice, actual deer hunting -- probably amounts to less than 3 boxes per season.  I used to shoot it more, but will back down.  That is a pity because it is a real fun rifle to shoot.

The $100 per box price for the 257's will regulate that rifle to hauling it out when I shoot the other ones and running 3 - 5 rounds through it and putting it away for another year.  It will probably never see the deer woods again because I am not willing to invest in the amount of practice shots -- bench, standing, kneeling, different distances -- required in my mind to make me secure in using it on a live animal.  I have reached my bearing point at that price point.  And that too is a pity.  The rifle which is custom built with a Sako Magnum action, Shielin target grade barrel turned down to a # 3 conture, but left at 27", set in a Fagen Aristocrat AAAA feathered **** Walnut stock (completely glass lined for stability) and topped with a Nikon 4 - 12 is not only beautiful and shoots well (not to mention that it really, really hammers a deer with the 87 grain Interlock showing 3825 at 15 feet on the chorny), but my wife bought it for me for our 1st anniversary.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/20 10:16:47 (permalink)
Went into the hardware shop in town yesterday to get my bear license.. they have a TOTAL of 8 boxes of shells... 8 boxes....
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Ammunition Prices 2009/11/20 16:18:45 (permalink)
"To be honest, the $60 per box 240's, p***es me off, but it won't change me using that rifle due to the limited amount of shooting I will do with it -- sight in, practice, actual deer hunting -- probably amounts to less than 3 boxes per season. I used to shoot it more, but will back down. That is a pity because it is a real fun rifle to shoot."

See, you will change. You used to shoot it more but you backed down. So, you will purchase less ammo. So, if I'm the manufacturer, I'd want to charge less (and make less per box) with the idea that you would buy more boxes.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: