Any Luck?

Author
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/08 11:06:47 (permalink)

Any Luck?

I got a nice hen saturday morning after getting my buck friday night.  She was in a huge flock.  I am wondering if everyone else is seeing big flocks or smaller groups?

Better too far back, than too far forward.

14 Replies Related Threads

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/08 12:27:30 (permalink)
    Big flocks...daily.

Ironhed
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/08 18:27:15 (permalink)
    I can't seem to get on track with them. I'm there one day, they're there the next. I hunted an area 2 days this week, no sign. I go there today to put up a ladder stand, scratchings everywhere. Sat in the woods tonight hoping to hear birds fly up, nothing in earshot.

The abundance of acorns has the birds in smaller groups and really spread out here. I've yet to see more than 15 together.

sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/09 10:15:36 (permalink)
    while in my stand this morning heard some hens yelping and 1 gobbling as it was getting light. never heard them gobble this time of the year is this normal? 
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/09 15:54:34 (permalink)
    Yes, they gobble year round. While fishing the Mon in MV this past Sept I heard one gobble over 100 times just like Spring.

Young birds will often gobble in the Fall as the flocks are assembling in the morning.

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/09 21:31:39 (permalink)
    To warm to early where I hunt... need a heavy frost to kill the bugs, flocks are still in the fields. There's so much food in the woods and they aren't touching it. Grapes and acorns everywhere laying in plain sight and no sign at all.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/10 08:51:02 (permalink)
    Mine are gobbling occasionally too.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/10 12:04:40 (permalink)
    Same here.  Even seen a couple strutting jakes!

Ironhed
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/10 16:00:24 (permalink)
    We've had a few decent frosts already in addition to an ich of snow a few weeks ago. Birds are not coming out to the fields here, just in the rain. That may change in a few areas though, corn is being cut just about everywhere.

I'm off this Friday and Saturday, it'll be do or die for me then.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/13 09:15:22 (permalink)
    It is 8:50 AM, already home, it was do rather than die

Haven't really been out this week other than one evening for 2 hours. Decided to go to an area where birds had been last week. Due to dry conditions I got in good and early, well before daylight. I had planned to sit put all morning and see if the birds fed through. Even walking in with it dark I could see the area was scratched up pretty good. I hit a gas line where I intended to sit, found a good tree and hit the ground, looked at my watch, 6:25 AM.

At 6:40 I hear a soft yelp and a few more as the minutes passed. I had got in to less than 100 yds from a roosted flock. I was grinnin ear to ear, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. At 6:50 they flew down, there was about 15. Uhh, they went the other way and flew UP hill to an oak flat above me. What to do?? With all the scratchings around and the dry conditions I stayed put. There was pretty much no way to get close and bust 'em. I also thought I had heard birds fly down on the hill behind me about 200 yds away. The birds closer to me weren't shy about raising he!! this morning. They all cackled as they flew down and once they hit the ground they were cutting, yelping, whistling. It was like a symphony, quite enjoyable to listen to.

I joined in

Along with kinda sparse calling I scratched in the leaves (which I believe is deadly in the fall in conjunction with "flock talk" calling).

To my sheer suprise, the entire flock came down the hill to me. I didn't see them all due to a large tree very close to me but I could hear them walking and scratching, purring and clucking. Boink.....one pops out at 30 yds in the open to the left of the big tree, boink....number 2 is right behind.....boink number 3 and so on.
    I already had my TruGlo on the birds and my T/C Encore hammer was back. I picked out a decent sized bird, centered the red dot on her neck and cut it loose....promptly saw her flopping. The 2 others I could see just took a few steps and stood there. I stood up and now I could see the whole flock, they then took off heading back up the hill, some flushed, some ran.

I walked over to my bird, thanked the good Lord above, glanced at my watch (7:05 AM). I friend who is archery hunting close sends me a text, "was that you? did you get 'em?. I reply that I did, fill out my tag, and as I do so he texts me that he just had a shooter buck at 60 yds, nose to the ground but he couldn't get it to come in.

The only thing I'm disapointed about, it kinda happened too quick, LOL.

Getting ready to clean the bird, gonna marinate it all day and grill it for dinner. This turkey is the first dead one that I showed to my 3 yeard old daughter. She is so excited, her first question was when could she go?

Good luck to anyone else still chasin 'em!
    post edited by ready2fish - 2009/11/13 09:25:40
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/13 18:11:40 (permalink)
    Congrats,and good story...

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/15 20:29:42 (permalink)
    haha good story, i do hate it when ithappens kinda fast lol i know what you mean, but i think i'll take those happen to fast then never at all!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/16 09:36:15 (permalink)
    Good job!

SteelieWheelie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 991
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/18 15:32:59 (permalink)
    the hen i shot was all alone..then sunday my dad and i were hunting in new york and shot a jake that was also all alone..but there had been a flock broken in that area a few days before..i had a good season

Early to bed
    Early to rise
    Fish like hell
    And make up lies!
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Any Luck? 2009/11/20 18:06:55 (permalink)
    I've been messing with turkey's in 2B all week,had them 55 to 60 yards every day,this afternoon was the best,had a adult hen and two jenny's at 42 yards,and past because there where 3 giants with 10 inch ropes 10 yards past them,well miss boss hen putts and takes the flock out of range. I had a chance but got gready,tommorow my last fling,the biggest flock so far 12 hens,2 jakes,and 3 giants,on tuesday,I had those toms gobbling to everything I threw at them but they would not leave the hens,kind of wierd to heard them gobble but neat too.They put on quiet a show,with some of the best fighting purrs you ever heard.
    Jump to: