Author
REEL FORCE
  • Total Posts : 552
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/03 22:18:15 (permalink)

Radical New Idea / Flyfishing

Click on the link ...

http://www.moffittangling.com/control/quickOverview

I know this might be illegal in NY (Snagging) but I would like to hear your thoughts on the overall method.

8 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Radical New Idea / Flyfishing 2009/11/03 23:11:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: REEL FORCE

I know this might be illegal in NY (Snagging) but I would like to hear your thoughts on the overall method.

Neat concept and the definition of "snatching" is taking fish not attracted by bait or artificial lure with hooks, gangs or similar devices whether or not baited. So it wouldn't be illegal because the fish is attracted to the fly.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Radical New Idea / Flyfishing 2009/11/04 15:40:18 (permalink)
    Jeff, GREAT Find!!!!!! I'm going to try this in the Mohawk River for them Smallies!!! Just got to learn how to try some flies!! Need a Good Teacher!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Radical New Idea / Flyfishing 2009/11/04 16:04:59 (permalink)
    I bet that is legal in New York...  It looks really simiar to the "Tube Flies" used by spey casting guys.

Actually, it is also the same set-up that I use with trout beads on my new noodle rod. 

The size 6 hook is actually about 6" below the pegged beads, so when they grab the beads and sink the float, you yank away and (hopefully) hook the fish on the outer part of his jaw.

I can't honestly say that it has WORKED for me yet- but I still have a lot to learn about using a 14' spinning rod!

Looks like a great technique for streamers, like the guys in the video have tied on.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Radical New Idea / Flyfishing 2009/11/04 17:31:02 (permalink)
    nj, a few weekends ago a couple catskill guys handed me a few of those pink beads/toothpick stopper trailing #6 gami hook ..i guess this came from the sr. ..i never tried it yet..I suppose a long enough outfit like a spey rod/noodle rod over 10ft makes this snagging method much more effective. I like my eggsacks and will try worms too for the E hoping this weekend. But to answer jeff, I'd wonder what the percentage of hookups .. looks like it could be tricky and not so sure about a fish not getting hooked in the eye cause it is in a sense lifting.jmho

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Radical New Idea / Flyfishing 2009/11/04 18:03:13 (permalink)
    The guys that I know that do alot of 'steel fishing with pins in the SR use this method with beads all of the time. From what I can tell it seems to work judging by the pictures I have seen
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Radical New Idea / Flyfishing 2009/11/04 19:23:21 (permalink)
    it is illegal in NY to use a bare hook unless attached to a lure, fly or similar bait. What you see in the video it is not attached to the fly but the fly is in line of the main line..
    Think about this, trollers for Salmon... Ever see them troll a dodger, flasher with a bare hook behind ?? Ever hear of trolling a wobbler & bare hook ??

Most trout bead systems that ppl are using up on SR are really NOT legal but the dec looks the other way, same with floats ppl are using (4' weight rule). If you are really "fishing" I could care less. But my thoughts... If you want to run a trout bead pegged up any distance up your line why not put a fly on instead of a bare hook ? My other thoughts , If you run this trout bead any further up then 2" from the hook you are snagging fish.. Think about it..trout beads are plastic and float so you cast or drag your line across fish with bead floating to keep line above fish and hook (sinks) below. See it all the time liners are good at what they do & can get it in the outside of the mouth easily with out the average angler thinking twice.
    Do trout beads work legally ? Of course they do but sadly they are a great lining tool used in the wrong way which is the reason so many crazy un enforced regulations get made every year.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    BWAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Radical New Idea / Flyfishing 2009/11/10 17:22:03 (permalink)
    There was a thread about this in the SWPA forum last spring i'll try to find it and post a link...The guy had great success putting a glob of powerbait around a swivel an inch or two up from a bear hook. Granted this was on stocked rainbows in a small lake, but it resulted in 0 guthooks and he was able to release all fish he caught.
    BWAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Radical New Idea / Flyfishing 2009/11/10 17:27:36 (permalink)
    Jump to: