How many here like eating trout?

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/31 21:07:04 (permalink)

How many here like eating trout?

I figure it is an interesting question knowing some find trout too fishy or muddy tasting. Over the decades after attempting to cook bigger trout,be they big natives or big holdovers, I have to admit i'm not a big fan of big trout for the simple fact it always has a stronger oiler taste compared to warm water species. I suppose one could make a hell of a meal with the right recipes to smother the strong taste but generally , I do not keep the big ones anymore. think i posted this site some time ago http://www.boois.com/cooktrout.htm it looks interesting, i never butterflied a trout for stuffing recipes.. but it might be worth a try. Anybody ever cook a trout like this?

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take

11 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/10/31 21:29:04 (permalink)
    I think my favorite of the recipes for larger trout is to fillet, skin and cut into smaller chunks.. marinade in some chinese soy or italian dressing ,breadcrumb and fry. I do not like big trout in the traditional foil lemon butter on the grill anymore. Especially with the skin on and that strong dark meat and fatty gel around the dorsal V and belly flaps. That is what I term muddy tasting meat you got to cut away all that for a good trout recipe imo

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/11/01 06:33:38 (permalink)
    not a big fan will eat it from time to time, but thats if someone else is cooking it.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/11/01 08:49:01 (permalink)
    depends on the diet of the fish. the waters i used to catch trout out of in the downstate nyc ressies ate alot of sawbelly (alewive) and i think that made for poor tasting trout. gimme walleye and gills, and i'm a happy camper.
    post edited by HookLineSinker - 2009/11/01 08:51:54

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/11/01 13:38:11 (permalink)
    Yea trout are kinda like catfish in as much smaller is better tasting I have always liked a small say 10 or at most 12 inch trout cooked whole in a skillet with a little garlic and butter cooked on high to brown and flash the skin then lower to finish cooking, served with a a few saute onions over the top and a good red wine.  

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/11/01 17:56:12 (permalink)
    Grandpa always soaked his Trout or Salmon in milk for a while before cooking - said it would remove the strong fish taste.
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/11/02 09:48:25 (permalink)
    I love trout - especially wild trout...but the smaller ones, browns under 15", rainbows under 17"...nice crayfish fed one's taste the best! Stocked trout are great too. For trout under, 9", I head and gut'em and then fry them up with a little bisquick batter.

anything bigger is a bonesless skinless fillet, and then either baked or lightly fried with garlic and flour coating.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/11/02 12:00:32 (permalink)
    I guess the only trout I really eat are small Brookies when cooked over a fire.

Just a little foil and slat and butter- and eat the meat right off the skin.  It can't compare to dee-friend and beer-battered Bluegill (or Perch or Crappie) but it has always been a nice meal when camping up north.

I agree with the assessment of NYC reservoir trout (especially the Seaforellens)...

I only kept three in my life- and regretted each one.  Total mush.  Even the locals who I thought might take them for dinner declined my offer of 'free trout'.  They all apparently like stream-bred brookies like me.

It is always weird to me how you can find Rainbow Trout (farmed) on some resturant menus, even though most people tend to much prefer all the OTHER trout to Rainbows as a general rule.  I've never seen brown trout served.  And I've only seen Brook Trout offered as a meal while in the lodge at Shenandoah National Park.
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/11/02 12:13:18 (permalink)
    One reason i do not keep any fish is because i can never cook it right. When i used to stream fish locally with my bro-in-law all the time we would keep some browns for lunch. I would be in charge of cleaning them and he would cook them.

He did them on the grill in foil whole with skin stil on them, with different seasonings and we would just eat them right off the bone. They were very tasty !!!

BB

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/11/03 02:01:25 (permalink)
     I think the fresh little stockies are tasteless, and anything over 15 or 16" tastes fishy. The bones suck too. Just as soon eat something else.  If I was out in the woods and hungry though, theyd be awesome.  I'd say I eat about 1 a year, cause I killed it by mistake most likely.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/11/03 19:49:03 (permalink)
    when back woods camping for a few days I'll eat a brookie or 2 for brunch or dinner. As far as going out to catch trout for a meal.. About twice a year maybe a few small stream trout in the frying pan. Pretty much C&R except now that I love bluegill , Perch style mmmm.....
    Big trout such as lakers,browns,steelhead & salmon (land locked or pacific) I always get a few requests to "keep" a fish but to eat myself no thanks

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: How many here like eating trout? 2009/11/04 15:43:51 (permalink)
    The ONLY time I would eat a Trout, is if it's bleeding and I don't think it going to live!!! Perch and Bluegills were ment to EAT!!!!! Also 15" to 17" Walleyes  Too!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Jump to: