Author
HookLineSinker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/30 12:37:41 (permalink)

Need help from a motorhead.

Hey guys,
   I've decided to winterize my boat myself for the 1st time, and need help changing the lower unit oil. I've provided pictures to help you explain to me what to do. Thanks.

The top screw in the picture below is labeled "vent".  I took out the black rectangle thing and didn't see anything there.

That's a plastic cap over the prop that pops out.

Didn't see anything on this side of the motor.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

7 Replies Related Threads

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Need help from a motorhead. 2009/10/30 12:54:58 (permalink)
    Okay, this is what my dad taught me to do.

See that large standard head screw on your second picture down just above the black intake strainer? That is screw one. There should be a large straight head screw just like the first one towards the front of the cone on the lower unit. It will be on the underside, and might be easier to see with the motor trimmed up. That is screw two.

Okay, run the motor with water cuffs on for a few minutes. This will heat up the gear oil a bit

shut the motor off, trim it down all the way, and towl down the lower unit

put an oil pan under the lower unit.

remove screw #2, wipe it off, being carefull to clean any metal shavings.

now remove screw #1

let all the oil drain out.

now the harder part.

get your tube of oil ready, pop the top of it

get screw #1 in your hand, and keep screw #2 very close.

shove the tip of the oil tube in hole #2 and squeeze!

Squeeze it all in there, being carefull to keep the tube forced right up against the opening.

When the unit is full, oil will start to come out of hole #1.

Here is the hardest part.

Once its full, but with the oil tube still shoved in the hole, screw in screw number one.

now get screw #2 ready

quickly in one motion, pull out the oil tube and put screw #2 in there, screw it in, being carefull to let as little oil out as possible.

Your done!!
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need help from a motorhead. 2009/10/30 13:00:40 (permalink)
    As a side note, the four engines I have done this on, all required 2 tubes of lower unit oil...your 40hp might only require one...or it might take two. Switching tubes in mid-fill is hard, make sure you keep your finger on the hole.
    post edited by deadfishred - 2009/10/30 13:02:51
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Need help from a motorhead. 2009/10/30 13:43:52 (permalink)
    Right on DeadFish...

Doug- get yourself the whole Pennzoil (or equivalent) kit...  It will make the process a lot cleaner and less messy.

Often times, the sheer vaccum will hold the oil in the lower unit until you unscrew "screw #1" and break the tension by venting that opening.

The Pennzoil Pump has been good to me, at least.  And the threading of the nozzle can go right into the lower hole on the unit to fill.  It is easier than the old way I used to do it. 

Are you running SeaFoam or Sty-bil through the gas lines and stuff?  Thats about all I do for my outboard, but this winter I am pulling the carb so I can rebuild it and ensure it will be sticky-free in April.

There is no way I am going to survive another summer without a reliable outboard.  This past summer almost killed me.  But I should be up and cruising at higher speeds and with less stress by the time the ice fades.

Outboards take away more of my cash and patience than girlfriends do...  No exaggeration.  Not even close.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need help from a motorhead. 2009/10/30 13:47:20 (permalink)
    P.S.  I have no clue where your lower drain screw is on the Mariner...  Maybe a Merc owner could help there?

OMC engines (Evinrude/Johnson) are really obvious, but that Mariner looks like it has a hidden lower drain hole.

As Red said- check below the lower cone with the engine trimmed up.  It's gotta' be there?
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need help from a motorhead. 2009/10/30 14:05:08 (permalink)
    That oil pump looks really easy!!! I wish I would have known about them before! ****! Okay Doug, you gotta get one of those. I'm getting one before I winterize the Yammy.

Here's a good reference pic for where the lower screw should be.
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Need help from a motorhead. 2009/10/30 14:31:19 (permalink)
    Excellent directions Lance and Jimmy. Thank you! I did find the lower screw there when I raised the trim. I've got 2 quarts of oil and a pump I got from NAPA. I think I just need to attach a tapered, flexible hose to the pump. It came with stiff plastic hose, and with the hole so close to the ground when lowered, it's going to make it a little tricky.

Again, thanks for the help. I hate paying a marina to do something I can do myself.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need help from a motorhead. 2009/10/30 15:26:27 (permalink)
    Oh yeah Lance- one more thing:

You might need an adapter for the Yamalube unless they make their own pump package.

I am pretty sure the standard Pennzoil kit (I like Pennzoil) is set up for OMC out of the box.

I am sure the adapter is only a few bucks if needed, but the pump is a HUGE help and makes the whole process really quick and easy.  I've even seem vacuum pumps for outboards in FL that mechanically pull out ALL the lube, just like if you were replacing ATF or something in a car.  Might be overkill though unless you are running giant twin (or triple) outboards with a whole lotta fluid.

Hook- I bet you won't need more than a quart for your 40 horse.  My 30 doesn't take much at all.

Also- take note of the condition of your used lube since it will give you an indication of what's going on inside your motor.  Milky white oil is bad news since it means you are getting water in there due to a bad outer/inner seal or maybe from the vent screw itself.

Also (and this is critical), make sure you don't crossthread either slotted screw!!!

I did it the first time and nearly ruined everything.  Thread the screw in REVERSE until you feel it set into the threads and then tighten clockwise as usual.  If the lower unite threads get screwed up, it is a pricey fix!
    Jump to: