Moe's Eggs

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/25 07:32:06 (permalink)

Moe's Eggs

Davef asked last night for a tute on how to "tie" the Moe's egg and I gotta say that as I was putting this together, I kind of had to chuckle to myself because we all have put up all kinds of "how to's"  some of which were kind of involved that uses all different types of materials. This one here you don't even need a vise to create it. When you see the pic of the list of materials, you'll probably think Steely has gone off his rocker. Being as the Moe Egg uses a hot glue gun, I could understand the frustration one could have when trying these as you really need to keep the hook rotating to make a good imitation of the egg and unless you have a rotating vise, the use of forceps, hackle pliers, ect.  can be a real pain. Hopefully, my explaination and what I like to use will help.

List of Materials - You'll get a kick out of this one.

1. Using the egg hook of choice, insert the hook into the chuck of a variable speed drill.
Put the hook in the chuck so that just two of the jaws grab the hook and center the hook shaft on the chuck. Tighten the chuck down hand tight and spin the drill motor to make sure the hook shaft is centered and not wobbly. If you want, you can first tie in a bead on the middle of the hook.

2. Using the hot glue gun, start squeezing the glue onto the hook and when it starts to sag, start rotating the drill slowly.
As the glue starts to warm you may have to stop the drill and let the glue recenter itself. Really though, if you keep the chuck moving the glue will tend to create a nice round egg on the hook. I like to lay the drill on a table, press the trigger with one hand and apply the glue with the other. If the glue does not make a good enough round "egg" for you, just take a bic lighter and reheat the glue as your rotating the hook.

Here's one with a beaded center:

In addition to this you can also create trailing eggs using the same as above but using tippet material instead of the hook:

1. Take a piece of 2X tippet and tie two overhand knots at the end. Put a dab of superglue on the knot to seal it.

2. Put the tippet into the chuck and hand tighten between two of the jaws. Apply the hot glue as above, keeping the chuck moving.
The knot tied on the tippet secures the glue egg to the tippet. You can make a bunch of these while you have the glue gun hot.

3. Tie these pieces of tippet onto the hook where you'll be creating the egg on the shaft. Once again, put the hook into the chuck and with the glue gun, make the final egg on the shaft.
Call it the chummin egg! Ha! The neat thing about making these "tippet eggs" is that you can use them when you tie egg sucking leeches and use them as a "trailer" off the hook bend to make the fly a bit more appealing.

And finally --- a while back as I was using the glue gun, whenever I put it back into the stand, as the gun was still hot, it would make drippings of glue onto the table. Right away I thought about sucker spawn. I started to collect these drippings and here's what I do with them.

Here's a pic of the drippings created as the glue gun is in the stand:

1. Take a clump of these "drippings" and tie them onto the top of the hook by making a few wraps of thread aroung them. Whip finish off.

2. Turn the hook over and apply some glue on the bottom side of the hook, covering the thread. Then take a lighter and carefully melt and fuse it all together on the bottom side.
After it cools, take some super glue and put a few dabs around where the hot glue touches the hook shaft. If melted and fused right , these last pretty long. If you want you can cut and trim off the thread you used to secure the clump onto the hook but it's really not necessary.

The finished "Drip Spawn" as I like to call 'em.

post edited by steely34 - 2009/10/25 07:39:09

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

5 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Moe's Eggs 2009/10/25 07:52:48 (permalink)
    Steely: Thanks for the tutorial. I've been able to get decent ones using the knot in mono trick but the ones on the hook never seen to come out well for me.

The drip spawn ones to me look better than the single moe egg. That one I would have never thought of. Thanks again.    dave
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Moe's Eggs 2009/11/05 20:22:38 (permalink)
    Those trailer eggs look sweet. I used them with some success last year with otters but they only lasted a fish or too. I need to get a some colored glue. Any luck with the dripping flies?
    Troutbum25
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Moe's Eggs 2009/11/17 10:28:39 (permalink)
    Yeah where exactly can you get the colored glue at?  I'm sort of new to this whole method and was just curious where you find this at?
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Moe's Eggs 2009/11/17 10:44:53 (permalink)
    Your brother in laws house or down at Terry's.

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    Troutbum25
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Moe's Eggs 2009/11/18 08:07:40 (permalink)
    Well tell my brother in law's sister to get me a glue gun at work then.......I'll work on the sticks
    Jump to: