any here trying Ashokan or Roundout res.?

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/18 09:41:09 (permalink)

any here trying Ashokan or Roundout res.?

I chickened out this weekend,, work is so **** slow,I might checkem from shore this week. I think it's cold enough to catch trout now from shore till the nov close. Was wondering if anynody knows why the nev was only extended to second week in oct? imho, it would offer better regional fishing season to extend it to end of nov like ashokan and roundout res.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take

6 Replies Related Threads

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: any here trying Ashokan or Roundout res.? 2009/10/18 10:39:50 (permalink)
    Not sure about that, but those fish should be up, its definatly been cold enough. I might be heading down to the esopus shortly, but not sure, waiting on a fishin buddy.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: any here trying Ashokan or Roundout res.? 2009/10/18 11:13:35 (permalink)
    May hit the Ashokan next weekend , weather permitting.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: any here trying Ashokan or Roundout res.? 2009/10/18 17:47:50 (permalink)
    I think the Neversink has always followed the seasons and regs of the rest of New York...

With fishing prohibited after October 15th...

I always heard the whole reservoir was managed primarilly for the landlockers, even though by all reports the success has been questionable for the most part.  That would explain why it closes the same time as most other trout waters in New York.  The Neversink Reservoir was the very first lake in New York State to get plantings of atlantic salmon  (13th Lake in the ADKS was second the following year) but the first fish planted from Nova Scotia were sea-runs and apparently they hopped the dam and probably headed towards the ocean!

Now the truer "landlock" strains are used so that the fish don't have a genetic disposition to head toward the sea.  Also, as a little bit of NY trivia:  Aden Brook (a Neversink trib) was the first place in the COUNTRY to get a stocking of imported brown trout back in the 1800s.  Came from Germany and they set 'em loose. 

The rest, as they say, is history.  Aden Brook still exisits (thus, Aden Brook Road), but is a fraction of it's former self.  The reservoir buried all the gorges and deep runs under about 130ft of water now.  But I heard that whole valley was amazing pre-impoundment.  Ed Hewitt's books haave tons of great info and are an awesome read for any avid Catskill angler.  I recommend "A Trout and Salmon Fisherman for 75 Years" as a great place to start if you want to learn more about the whole Beamoc System, and especially the Neversink.  Part of his land is now part of the Frost Valley property that I managed for two and half years.  Really cool history in that sucker.

I was all fired up about Landlockers when I lived down the road from the res, but the only shot at them in the inlet (on the fly) was after the close of the season in October.  The local guys would hike down in there sometimes and whack a few post-season, but I would imagine the NYC land right up to the Big Bend Club property probably has all the salmon from the reservoir in it right now.  If you've never hiked into the inlet of the Neversink Res, you should...  It can be like an AQUARIUM down there.  The water is amazing.

The salmon spawn the earliest of any others- and by the middle of November they are apparently all finished up.  The browns start around now, of course, but can prolong the spawn as long as they wish until conditions are to their liking.

The Rondout and Ashokan seem to get the extended season to allow anglers some shots at those ridiculous browns in the Fall.  I heard the season got extended after that state record Brown was yanked out of the Chimney Hole way back when.  That one fish brought THOUSANDS of people to the Espous.  And Art Flick was really ****ed about it, judging from his writings.  That's why he moved closer to the Schoharie, so he could once again have a trout stream basically to himself to continue his studies.

Hewitt and Flick were smart as hell...  They sure took their fishing seriously!!! 
    post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2009/10/18 18:19:48
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: any here trying Ashokan or Roundout res.? 2009/10/18 19:54:42 (permalink)
    Yes jimbo, neversink is like my backyard in alot of ways..kinda like a home away from home as my bro has a place right there.. I use to quad to the mouth before 9/11 ..me and a fishing buddy slammed the biggest brown to date..had to hit his gold pheobe instead of my little cleo trolling out from aden cove some 15+ seasons ago.. sure i caught 10lbers and my biggest largest landlock was 7 3/4lbs on the liar scale.Back in those days the fishing was unreal and i have the pictures somewhere to prove this.. still huge fish but not as many like them years ago. I witnessed strange seasons when it was terrible and everybody was wondering too, whirling disease was the rumor.. i seen some skinny specimens those hard times with even fin rot on some.. but thank god the fishing is getting good once again.. just not so many especially the salmon. The ashokan was my first nyc res and my older brother and his friend took me up when I was like 15 16 yrs old.. a few seasons later and in the early 80s ,I put my first jon boat on broadhead.. I was much addicted to the ashokan and the fall runs on the esopus..for the first decade and in between I ventured pepacton and later neversink and roundout, I used the new york state atlas in search of just about every trib etc... I learned by experience when and where to fish these places. The Esopus run is nothing like it was some two decades ago..it was even much better three decades ago before I fished it according to old timers way back when. You mentioned the big record brown long ago.. what's written in the handbook " According to Cecil Heacox it was on the Esopus in 1918 that the dry fly rod was concieved by Jim Payne, In 1923, a 19 pound 14 ounce brown trout was caught which remained the New York State record for 31 years" ..another " According to an article in March 1969 in outdoor life, a 30 3/4 inch 9lb. ten ounce brown trout was taken in april of 1955 from mothers pool with a minnow" Even today , when I look out off the dividing wier towards the west basin, I always imagine all the huge browns running up when the gates are open from the east basin into the west to spawn in the esopus, I sure think it offers the finest fishing this time of year. Good rains like this and around halloween seems about the best time in the fall for me. I know it from Big indian on through the portal in between and on down into the mouth below the chimney hole.I recommend to anyone interested in this beautiful region(if you don't have a copy or if you can find it) the little handbook "esopus creek" stream guide published by the catskill mts.chapter of trout unlimited.. has a sketch of Art on the first page..in the back cover it has the detailed pools and runs etc. yes alot has changed over the years for this regions fisheries but I think alot of good people still care enough to make a difference. On the back of this handbooks cover,"Wise Management of Water Resources Like The Esopus Creek is Vital to Preserving Wild Trout Fisheries.
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/10/18 20:10:29

fabfab
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: any here trying Ashokan or Roundout res.? 2009/10/19 13:28:41 (permalink)
    backin

im just off 55   we should chat

ill be out this sat throwinbg spooks in the R res , then mayb driftn sacs or flies in the E. 
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: any here trying Ashokan or Roundout res.? 2009/10/19 22:27:39 (permalink)
    fab, you appear to be a newbie with a low profile.. sure lets chat that is what this forum is about! I sent you a pm reply.. By the way welcome to the forum.

Jump to: