How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ?

0-25 I want to fish more but just aint got time   4% (1)
26-50 weekend warrior   24% (6)
51-100 quite a bit but wish I could more   36% (9)
101-150 I'm serious about my sport   32% (8)
151-200 I know no other, it's my life & fish fear me   4% (1)
201-250 ok, if you say so   0% (0)

Total Votes: 25

Voting Ends:
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/16 07:52:10 (permalink)

We have quite a diverse group here and I just wondered how many days (Average) does everyone get out on the water. There is no right or wrong and no one has to know who is voting what but please be as honest as you can. I know we post almost everyday about fishing I am just curious..

I'll give my response. I don't fish everyday but then again I fish a lot all year long. Really I never stop be it ice, the great lakes or the adk's, I'm always fishin' somewhere sometime.
My vote is 151-200 days a year.

If I had to guess I'd say there is 1 other here who fits that category, keeping your tip-ups in all night long counts

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

10 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ? 2009/10/16 10:08:46 (permalink)
    I am in the 51-100 ... but closer to the 100, i did a quick calculation and came up with about 80 or so days.

I get out at least once every weekend of the year, during Striper season i take a lot of time off. Did 20+ days during this 2009 run.   I even took some days off for ice fishing this past season.

Over the past few years i started to be more multi species and met a lot of guys via this site, so i always have something to fish for, and somebody to go with !!

If i lived on some water, or even with-in walking distance it would be over 200 days , even if they were short 1-2 hr trips before or after work.

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ? 2009/10/16 10:39:02 (permalink)
    wow. where is my mind? I read the post initially as "how many days do you eat fish a year"...lol...guess my mind is on eye fillets in the fridge.

Last few years I've averaged just under 200 days, including ice fishing...in college and before I got a job, it was over 300, we fished every single day.
    post edited by deadfishred - 2009/10/16 10:41:43
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ? 2009/10/16 10:49:47 (permalink)
    i like to fish as often as possible.. i prefer quiet backwoods water fishing..i haven't fished in nj's lakes or streams in over 20yrs and slowed down on nj shore saltwater considerably ( only a couple a season).. Reason I guess being more restrictions,less places to fish because of incroachment of private/corporate sprawl or out of state landowners/hunting/fishing club posted lands.. imposed restrictions/fish limits..escalating costs per trips, less anual income with what appears to be rising inflation .. but hey i can say i live for the outdoors!

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ? 2009/10/16 13:00:47 (permalink)
    I also voted 51-100. Ice fishing season is shorter, but I do more of that than open water. 

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ? 2009/10/16 14:03:34 (permalink)
    Looks like the past three years I have averageb around 130 days a year.  Maybe that's a conservative estimate since I spend most every evening in my canoe or on my dock...  But it is still close to three times a week.

I don't think I could do much more fishing and still stay employed, so I am pretty happy about what I've got.

Back when I was living on a houseboat in Everglades National Park I literally fished every day.  Mornings offshore or in the backcountry in my little Starcraft, and evenings right behind the houseboat.  "Just Matt" can surely vouch for the ridiculous tarpon and snook I had piled up under the lights on the stern of the boat.

Right up until Hurricane Wilma came rolling through in the Fall of '05.  Here is what it looked like after the storm finally moved on:

The boat impaled itself on a coral head and never floated again (you can see some brain coral in the photo).  It has since been dragged out and secretly sunk in the middle of Chokoloskee Bay, but I know right where she lays have caught many snapper and ladyfish around it during my returns to the 'Glades each winter.  It's funny to think of fish actually LIVING in my old bedroom.  But fitting.

I sure do miss that boat though.  Living lakeside is great, but living ON the water is way better.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ? 2009/10/16 16:01:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

If I had to guess I'd say there is 1 other here who fits that category, keeping your tip-ups in all night long counts

Dude...  That was only an accident, I swear...

I just happened to make the same mistake nearly every night last winter, that's all... 

But seriously, when is the last time you saw a Phatty walleye swimming in a bathtub?  You should have heard the ol' lady SCREAM when she went in there pulled the curtain back first thing in the morning.   Priceless!

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ? 2009/10/16 17:38:47 (permalink)
    Dude, no offense tuna but this one is kind of depressing me, I,m a 50-100 guy and it used to be so much more.

I used to have one of the best trout rivers in NY right behind my house, literally I used to fly fish every weekday from about mid march into december. I could just look out my kitchen window and see if they were rising, maybe tie some new patterns and fish. now with no great trout rivers close by it's harder for me to get motivated to drive an hour for an hour of fishing after work.

I'll be out there this weekend though, probably back to catskills and in about a month a week on the lake ontario tribs. Plus I gotta get out sometime for some top water trolling our little trout lakes.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ? 2009/10/16 22:55:13 (permalink)
    ouch jimmy. that makes ME sad just lookin at it.

id say on a good year i can put in almost 100 days. few years back i put in 30 days on the ice alone. when my motors are working (not as often as they should be) i can manage a few times a week.

god bless tuna. i think when i finally get a truck (hopefully january) ill be able to check the over 150 category!
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ? 2009/10/16 23:15:12 (permalink)
    Get it while you can guys, get it while you can! In my younger day if I was not on the job I was fishin i didnt care if I only had 20 minutes I'd stop and cast. The boat was either in the water or in the truck for two full years. I fished night day evenings weekends every moment I could it was so bad I had to start seeing a marriage counselor with my wife cause she was ready to leave me and almost did the night I asked the counselor if I could fish in the pond behind her house. lol. I was out of work in 73 when the building went bust and fished alllll day first light till after dark for 45 straight days. I was having to choose between buying smokes or getting gas for the boat, that was the summer I quit smoking. now I am lucky to get to go one day on the weekend. so get it while you can guys, get it while you can!
    Now that my kids are all grown and gone, cept for my last 19 yr old who doesnt want to leave the nest(kickin out time) I have a lot more time and to lake I will be goin.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: How Many Days Do You Fish A Year ? 2009/10/16 23:35:25 (permalink)
    BRING BACK GURU!!!
    Jump to: