New to Ontario

Author
Big Water
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/10 19:22:45 (permalink)

New to Ontario

After several attempts, I'm finally going to make it to Lake Ontario for the first time ever this week.  I've got a couple of general questions.  Is it too late to troll for the salmon outside of Olcott. I ask, because I see very few boats on the webcam.  It seems like if fishing were hot, they'd be there by the dozens.  Is there another are or launch that is better for trolling this time of year.  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Doug

2 Replies Related Threads

Free Spirit
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: New to Ontario 2009/10/11 09:19:47 (permalink)
    You are defintely late for salmon for this year anyway. There might be some steelhead and brwons hanging around the creek mouths but most of the kings have run. There will be juvenile kings and steelhead offshore but finding them this time of year, as the lake transitions into winter water, will be a roll of the dice at best.
    Your best option is to frequent the Lake O websites like Glangler, Lake Ontario United and atheoak and aks questions and learn for next year. You will need to stock up on tackle anyway.
    Our season usually starts right after ice out for browns and cohos along the shoreline.
    By mid-May the kings are going strong on the west end of the lake.
    July and August are prime times for BIG kings.

Good luck.
    Big Water
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: New to Ontario 2009/10/11 19:05:25 (permalink)
    Thanks Free Spirit.  I posted the same question over at the Western Lake Ontario forum and buffalobob said it was too late so I headed to Erie instead.  Got blown off of the lake, my fishing buddy was sick and the water was mud.  Looks like I'll pack it in for this year, but I really hope to make Ontario a regular stop on my trips.  I haven't caught a King since they used to be in Erie back in the 80's and I'm itching to get going on Ontario.  Maybe I'll see you there some time next year.
    Jump to: