Mentor program

Author
Wayniac
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 115
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/08 23:09:28 (permalink)

Mentor program

Not sure if this was ever mentioned but only seen it today and figured I would spread the word. Kids under 12 need a license this year. Fee is $2.00 which is no big deal but had my daughter out hunting without it. Glad I seen it in the book before we got checked from the wardens. Good luck will be hunting tomorrow and saturday with her.

14 Replies Related Threads

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/09 01:39:08 (permalink)
    Anyway the PGC can squeeze a penny out.....Unbelievable...Can't even let the young ones have a free pass to get them interested...2.00 isn't much, but just the idea behind it...

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/09 06:56:55 (permalink)
    I think the tag was implimented more to track how many Mentored Youth were participating in the program...
    Can't hurt dad to bad to pony up 2 bucks..I know they sure do need the revenue...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/09 10:29:14 (permalink)
    Yeah, it is more about accounting for the individuals and tracking purposes.  It still costs $ to update databases, etc.  Heck, for the cost of a draft special at the local watering hole (or maybe two), you can have a kid under 12 out there hunting and joining the Sportsman's ranks.  Heck, make the youngin use part of their allowance or grass cutting money to purchase the permit themselves and 99 times out of a 100, the kid will be all for it and be just like daddy out there "huntin' with their license".  My 3 year old daughter gets to spend some of her birthday/christmas money occassionally to buy something for herself and when she does, she always makes sure she gets something for her little brother too, with her own money.  If she can do that, I don't think she'd have a problem cracking into the piggy in a few yrs for a few bucks for a mentored youth permit.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/09 14:28:22 (permalink)
    I like the program and can't wait for my boy to get a few years older so I can take him out.

I agree the fee is basically to cover the tracking/recording process & I have no problem paying it...or better yet, as eyes&gills said, have them pay for it. Good to give them something to work for.

My one complaint with the program,I just wish the mentor could transfer their doe tag to the mentored youth. Give the kids a better chance to bag one.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/09 20:38:42 (permalink)

HARRISBURG – Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe today encouraged experienced hunters, who have historically helped pass along the state’s rich hunting heritage, to consider introducing youths to hunting through the Mentored Youth Hunting Program (MYHP).

“Since 2006, Pennsylvania’s hunters have been taking advantage of a remarkable opportunity to introduce those under the age of 12 to hunting through the Mentored Youth Hunting Program,” Roe said.  â€œHunting is deeply woven into the cultural fabric that is Pennsylvania, and it is important that we recruit new hunters to carry on this tradition.”

Roe noted that the logic behind the Mentored Youth Hunting Program is simple and clear: create expanded youth hunting opportunities without compromising safety afield.

“This program paves the way for youngsters to nurture their interest in hunting early and allows them to take a more active role in actual hunting while afield with mentoring adults,” Roe said. “The program accommodates hands-on use of sporting arms and can promote a better understanding and interest in hunting and wildlife conservation that will help to assure hunting’s future, as well as reinforce the principles of hunting safely through the close supervision provided by dedicated mentors.”

Under the program, a mentor is defined as a properly licensed individual at least 21 years of age, who will serve as a guide to a youth while engaged in hunting or related activities, such as scouting, learning firearms or hunter safety and wildlife identification.  A mentored youth is identified as an unlicensed individual less than 12 years of age who is accompanied by a mentor while engaged in hunting or related activities.

The regulations require that the mentor-to-mentored youth ratio be one-to-one, and that the pair possesses only one sporting arm when hunting.  While moving, the sporting arm must be carried by the mentor.  When the pair reaches a stationary hunting location, the mentor may turn over possession of the sporting arm to the youth and must keep the youth within arm’s length at all times.

New this year is the requirement that all mentored youth obtain a permit through the Game Commission’s new Pennsylvania Automated License System (PALS), which costs $2.70.  Of that fee, one dollar goes to the Game Commission, one dollar goes to the issuing agent who processes the permit application, and 70 cents goes to the company managing PALS.

“When we first started the MYHP, we didn’t require a permit because there was no method available to issue a permit without creating an enormous obstacle for participants,” Roe said.  â€œWith the full roll-out of our electronic license sale system this year, we can provide a method for adult mentors to enable youth to obtain a permit without too many difficulties.

“By implementing the permit for the MYHP, we will be able to start gathering data about the level of participation in this program, which can be used to assist in better planning and scheduling our basic Hunter-Trapper Education courses.  This database of MYHP participants will let us know how many young hunters are approaching 11 years of age, and where they live, so that we can make sure the number of courses we are offering will meet the expected demand.”

Currently, the agency has used its annual Game-Take Survey to estimate the level of participation in the MYHP.  According to the agency’s annual Game-Take Surveys, participation in the MYHP has increased in terms of adult mentors and youths.  In 2006, the first year of the program, 43,780 youths were mentored by 32,913 adults.  That year, the mentored youths harvested 52,788 squirrels and 36,351 woodchucks.  In 2007, the number of mentored youth grew to 58,883, and there were 51,141 adult mentors.  That year, mentored youths harvested 61,160 squirrels, 52,114 groundhogs, 5,199 antlered deer and 3,496 spring gobblers.

The species identified as legal game for the upcoming license year are woodchucks (groundhogs), squirrels, spring gobbler, coyotes and antlered deer.  Those youths participating in the MYHP are required to follow the same antler restrictions as a junior license holder, which is one antler of three or more inches in length or one antler with at least two points.  Antlerless deer are not legal game for participating MYHP youth.

The program also requires that both the mentor and the youth must abide by any fluorescent orange regulations, and that the mentored youth must tag and report any antlered deer or spring gobbler taken.  As part of the MYHP permit, youth will be provided the necessary harvest tags for antlered deer and spring gobbler.  

The youth must submit a harvest report card, which is available as inserts in the 2009-10 Pennsylvania Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations, within five days for any antlered deer or spring gobbler he or she takes.  Harvest report cards also are available in the “Forms & Programs” section of the agency’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us).

For more information on the program, visit the Game Commission’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us) and click on “Mentored Youth FAQs” in “Quick Clicks” box in the upper right corner of the homepage.  Information also is included on page 13 of the 2009-10 Pennsylvania Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations.

To continue hunting once a youth reaches the age of 12, they will need to and pass a basic Hunter-Trapper Education course and purchase either a junior hunting license or a junior combination license.  For a listing of HTE courses, visit the Game Commission’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us) and click on the “Hunter Education Classes” link in the center of the homepage.
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/10 07:31:45 (permalink)
     why couldn't the pgc have a crossbow license for same price or even a buck, just to know how many people are using the crossbows???  seems like a simple solution to the debate..our pgc is so far behind other states its unbelievable..
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/12 10:20:19 (permalink)
    My son was really excited to get his first license. Well worth the 2.75 plus it is a bonafied attempt to collect useable data..no problems with it here.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    WILD BROOKIE
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/12 12:49:44 (permalink)
    ITS CALLED A CID NUMBER FOR IDENTIFACATION PURPOSES YOU WILL KEEP THIS NUMBER ALWAYS JUST LIKE YOU PALS NUMBER YOU GET WHEN ELECTRONICLY BUY YOU LICENSE
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/12 13:56:39 (permalink)
    Musky..

You are soooooo right..

Took my little fishing buddy hunting on Saturday for squirrels..

first thing he did was thank me for the umpteeth time for taking him hunting and turned to show off his new hunting license...

too bad it was so windy here.. he only saw one squirrel but was thrilled to see a deer standing there looking at us as we got out of my truck !!!!

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/10/12 14:45:17
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/12 17:21:41 (permalink)
    i think the program is good and I dont have a problem with covering the cost of collecting the data with the small fee. What I fear is the small fee growing over the years. Anyone who lives in Allegheny county and gets held up for the ridiculous emmissions test for their car knows what I mean.
    Wayniac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/12 21:45:53 (permalink)
    Took the little one to Walmart friday night for her first license and holder. She had a smile from ear to ear and could not wait until saturday morning which turned out to be cold and soggy. We went out for 2 hours in the morning seen nothing then 2 hours in the evening and got winded, no big deal have many weeks left! This program is th BEST! Its nice getting the girls started young so the girl hype dont get a chance to get them first. I'm hoping to post a picture of one she gets this year. Good luck everyone.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/13 23:11:53 (permalink)
    Wayniac, The girl hype is coming. No stopping that...However she shuts the boys up when she mentions that she has killed 7 deer before age 16!!!

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/14 00:29:08 (permalink)
     doc, I tried to p.m. you ,but couldn't get through. If you are intrested, go to  www.irwinsportsmen.com  then scroll down to "Family Braggen". The first article is about a fellow member & his daughter,the second is of me & my Grandaughter Mollie & her first hunt.I don't have puter skills or I would have just posted the picts.I took her Mother,my Daughter,hunting & fishing when she was young & was proud & happy to take Mollie also. A side benifit is that when any anti's start mouthing off around either one,the anti's are soon to leave.  lol  sam
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mentor program 2009/10/14 10:19:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link Sam, I enjoyed reading both stories...

It's stories like those that make me wonder if the adults are really doing everything there is to get or keep kids interested..  sounds like all ther adults in those stories went out of their way to keep the youngsters interest high, even helping to track !!!!

too many think it's all about seeing lots of game...

My junior hunter saw one deer, one squirrel (a little red one) and some chippies... but looking for deer sign, acorns, tracks, poop, etc I kept his interest up and he is dying to go again.. too bad the weather looks BAD around here for the next several days...

Tell Mollie I said "way to go girl" !!!!

my junior hunter will be jealous of her success !!!!
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/10/14 10:21:07
    Jump to: