Moons - Is it worth while

Author
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/30 11:36:03 (permalink)

Moons - Is it worth while

Im sure you guys have heard that hunting a full moon is bad because the deer move at night. After reviewing all the photos from my camera over a 22 hour period during the full moon I have to question that a little bit. While the majority of the movement was at night, daytime movement proved to be what it was from previous hunting expereince regardless of moon phase. The deer moved heavy from 45minutes after I put the camera out (7pm) until 10:45am the next morning, with a slight lag while I assume they were out in the fields between the hours of 2am and 6am, at 6am steady action picked up again until 10:45am and then the camera went still until 5pm when the last photo was taken 5 minutes before I arrived. I had one buck on film at 10:45pm and another on film in the morning.

I would have to say they followed a typical pattern of moving toward the field at night and moving back in the morning. Neither buck was seen twice.

12 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/08/30 13:23:06 (permalink)
    Worth while to what?  Not hunt?  A friend is fishing the first day this year because of the moon phase.  Sounds silly to me.  I truely don't expect to see mature deer then but it's not going to keep me home.

Deer's rod and cone photoreceptors are both at work in low light intensities whereas both are not during the dark or bright daylight.   During a full moon, light intensity is stronger, so they are able to move later and still see well.  I'm out 4,5, sometimes 6 nights a week and am certain moon phases affect how OLDER deer move.  But more importantly, wind, weather, and predator pressure are bigger factors.  Light intensity affects where but not how and when I hunt. 
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/08/31 09:01:33 (permalink)
    Worth while to pay attention too. Yes, the big buck was seen at night during a full moon, but I was under the impression that moon phases where saposed to have an effect on all deer, not just big bucks. The deer still moved up until almost lunch, and were back at it again by 5pm.

I know one thing, the quicker I can fill my doe tag this year the better. Get that out of the way. Last year I passed up so many doe's waiting on a buck and it did pay off, but never on a day when I passed on one.

I really think it should be like other places, you can whack one, not even get down and whack another. One thing I saw the other day I found to be excessive was ted nugent just plowing deer after deer after deer in Michigan.

He shot this buck, then a doe, then another doe, then another doe, then another doe, without ever leaving the box blind. What in the hell kind of fun is that. Im going to fill 8 tags all in a matter of hours because I can.

I can see two deer in one outing, I bet he would feel a little different if he had to gut, drag, skin and eat all those deer. He is a wildlife killing maniac, I wouldnt be suprised to hear he turned into a serial killer.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/08/31 09:03:22
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/08/31 10:51:01 (permalink)
    He is his worst enemy usually.  He says he never has taken any drugs in his life.  You ever listen to his early recordings with the Amboy Dukes?  I'm not sure who is the better liar, Clinton or Uncle Teddy. 

As for the moon phases, I'm in the camp that believes that only the mature deer, both male and female, are affected/have learned that that is the best time of those days to be active.  For my money, I still put it out there that timing is everything.  They will be moving early (for us) so being on stand well before sun-up is crucial.  Yes, many deer are killed mid-day, but first light and last light are when I've taken my biggest deer, there again both sexes.  I did get caught with my pants down (literally) last year about 10 a.m. by a huge buck casually walking a trail.  The moon was about 80% that day.  Go figure.

One thing's for sure, I'd never pass up a day in the stand because of moon phases.   Unless you hunt a huge area where no other humans roam, you never know who or what is going to bump a deer your way.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/08/31 11:40:54 (permalink)
    In my opinion the best time to make it out hunting is whenever you are able to. I am lucky enough that I will be able to make it out most mornings, some evenings and tuesday/wednesday all day, since I have office hours thurs-monday 11am-5pm. I guess what I am trying to say is; my work dictates when I hunt, not the moon phase.

I do pay attention to the moon phases, and feel they are valid. A good example why I believe the moon phases have an effect on deer movement happened a few days in a row, about a month & 1/2 ago. I saw lots of deer feeding in fields in the afternoon hours. I checked the chart on my gps to see what time the "excellent" activity times for the day were supposed to be, and those short hours coincided with the times I saw deer.

Do I base the days I hunt on the moon chart?...No. Would I, if my work hours were flexible, and I could choose which days to schedule off?....Yes
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/08/31 11:44:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Worth while to pay attention too. Yes, the big buck was seen at night during a full moon, but I was under the impression that moon phases where saposed to have an effect on all deer, not just big bucks. The deer still moved up until almost lunch, and were back at it again by 5pm.

I know one thing, the quicker I can fill my doe tag this year the better. Get that out of the way. Last year I passed up so many doe's waiting on a buck and it did pay off, but never on a day when I passed on one.

I really think it should be like other places, you can whack one, not even get down and whack another. One thing I saw the other day I found to be excessive was ted nugent just plowing deer after deer after deer in Michigan.

He shot this buck, then a doe, then another doe, then another doe, then another doe, without ever leaving the box blind. What in the hell kind of fun is that. Im going to fill 8 tags all in a matter of hours because I can.

I can see two deer in one outing, I bet he would feel a little different if he had to gut, drag, skin and eat all those deer. He is a wildlife killing maniac, I wouldnt be suprised to hear he turned into a serial killer.

"the nuge" is a terrible spokesman for our sport. I saw the same show....it pizzed me off.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/08/31 11:55:30 (permalink)
    J

I think light intensities affect all animals, including us.  It all comes down to security for deer.  I don't think younger deer completely understand the idea of danger.  It comes with experience.  Some never get there. 
     Antlers lighten with sunlight.  Notice the mature PA bucks that are taken.. their antlers are usually dark, real dark.  That has to do with light exposure.  PA mature bucks (remember they are likely highly pressured) don't like bright light. Now, when I'm talking mature deer, I'm refering to deer of 3 years or older.  These animals are still quite rare in PA.  I can think of a few (maybe 2-3 -- this excludes two Ohio bucks) bucks killed posted on this site in the two years.  Only one would go 4.5.  That was startinout's 10 point.  It's easy to think since bucks are bigger now, that they are older.  Not my belief other than a jump of one age class.  I'm still seeing the majority of 1.5 but reaching their full potential for that age and a good number of 2.5.  I've seen 3-4 3 years olds this year and ONE where I would argue could be 4.  That 10 point you have a pic of is 2 years old.  Go kill him (or I'll hit him with my truck / )  and get his teeth tested.  Bet you my bow he's 2.5.  I bet a few (like 5) of every 100 people around PA have actually seen a mature buck in the wild.  Most of those deer are likely seen in and around pittsburgh.  Our deer are still young.  They always will be with the number of hunters we have. Take a look at Stacy Steele's buck from Bedford: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=519&Q=170250 Let's be honest here:  How many bucks have we seen that look like that in this state?   I never have on hoof in the wild.  Not many get to that age.  I've seen this buck in person and it isn't no youngen. It was killed between the full moon and last quarter.  I have the local newspaper clipping in the garage at my parents with the score of it.  I don't remember what it scored.   Next time I get a few moments, I'll open up the pope and young entries and compare them to moon phases.  This of course, will exclude bucks killed in November.  The doe control the rut, not the moon.  I'll post the results. 
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/08/31 12:47:54
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/08/31 13:39:58 (permalink)
    I am anxious to see what you come up with when you research the pope & young entries.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/08/31 14:21:35 (permalink)
    I've looked at it before (not for moon phases) .. it's fact most record book bucks are killed the first and last week.   That goes for the nation, not just PA.  I'll try to gather that sometime as well, although the results stand out dramatically.  Obviously the last week is the time but I was surprised the number of biggens killed the first week, just like Stacy's.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/08/31 21:52:08 (permalink)
    Come to think of it, I'm not so sure the entries have day and month, only year but I know I looked at something that showed month/day.  Stacy's buck was in the 180's"
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/08/31 21:53:16
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/09/01 09:15:05 (permalink)

The moon phases effect the movement and feeding patterns of all fish and animals regardless of age when no other factors such as severe weather patterns, the rut, or human intervention are present. That is not to say that you can't catch fish or see animals at any other time but the moon normally dictates the best time for movement or feeding . As was previously stated hunt whenever you can, but if your hunting time is limited, go with the lunar tables to be in the woods or on the stream.

worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/09/01 11:54:07 (permalink)
    There are very few nevers in hunting, but you will NEVER kill a deer on a full moon if you are home because "the moon isn't right".w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Moons - Is it worth while 2007/09/01 23:09:50 (permalink)
    Here's a scan of the local newspaper clipping.

post edited by SilverKype - 2007/09/01 23:11:45

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    Jump to: