My Intruders

Author
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/28 11:00:04 (permalink)

My Intruders

Similar to kjh's, but different.  I'll show all the possible steps I do, sometimes I eliminate elements shown here, this one shows the most bulky intruder style tie I do.

Cheap upturned hook, #2.

Add eyes, clouser style.

Tie in the stinger hook, here an octopus #4, being sure to fold over the spider wire, or mono if you prefer.  Very important.

Glue it up.

Sometimes I use saddle hackles for the tail, sometimes ostrich herls, here it's saddle hackles, 4 of them.

Some flashabou

Some Guinea feathers.

Dub the body, or wrap with floss.  Dubbed here.

This next sequence is spun deer hair, under the marabou wing to help support the marabou, giving the wet fly a wider profile without much extra bulk.

Stack the hair, and trim the butts.  You're going to tie in the ahir right near the butt point so you don' thave to trim it later.

Wrap thread

spin

wrapping and selecting marabou feathers has already been shown.
One green feather.

One black feather.

Dyed green guinea.

Dub the head, or not, here it's dubbed.  finish the head, and glue it.  Finished fly.

I do these in different colors, all white and gray killed the bass this summer.

Some other colors:

The intruder army

7 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: My Intruders 2009/09/28 15:58:17 (permalink)
    very nice!

dig that yellow and white

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: My Intruders 2009/09/28 16:44:05 (permalink)
    Very Nice D!!!! Great pics. %$&%@# -- now I gotta tie some of those up!!! Back to the bench!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: My Intruders 2009/09/28 16:45:05 (permalink)
    I kind of like "the red and the black".  Inspired by the Blue Oyster Cult song, Minutemen/fIREHOSE cover version. 

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: My Intruders 2009/09/28 17:15:28 (permalink)
    D - got a question for ya. I've tied these before but never really fished them. Do you find that the hook-ups are generally in the mouth or along the side with a trailing hook?  I mean a take is a take - don't matter where it is and in my mind I would think that when the fish strikes these the hook-up may occur along the side. I'm not by any means infering that's a bad thing - in fact in many ways it can be a good thing. Less damage perhaps.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: My Intruders 2009/09/28 17:40:31 (permalink)
    Right in the mouth, every time, with bass.

These flies are new to me, I only fished them one trip late in the season last year, and had no steel hookups.  So, we'll see.  The way steel tend to nip at the butt of a streamer, I think it'll increase my hookups alot.  Probably right in the nose too.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: My Intruders 2009/09/28 17:52:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

Right in the mouth, every time, with bass.

These flies are new to me, I only fished them one trip late in the season last year, and had no steel hookups.  So, we'll see.  The way steel tend to nip at the butt of a streamer, I think it'll increase my hookups alot.  Probably right in the nose too.

Weight it heavily and be sure to strip as hard as you can when its just above their head. That will increase your hookup ratio. Its done wonders for me.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: My Intruders 2009/09/28 18:02:08 (permalink)
    That red and black is sick! Nice job. Everybody has there own version of the intruder. Here is one of mine. What is different about mine is no stinger and no additional weight. Do mine up on an AJ 2051 1.5  This pattern holds a special place in my heart because I got my first fish, truly swinging on this pattern. The original was cut off and now hangs on a frame on my tying table. Since then I have modified it some but still the same basic principle.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Jump to: