ADK POND TRIP COMING

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/26 15:46:09 (permalink)

ADK POND TRIP COMING

I'm going up north for my first Adirondack pond visit monday.  Naturally there is a lot of rain forecast, hopefully no lightning.  It's not a very big pond, under 50 acres, but its supposed to be deep.  I have my buddy going in with me, we're going to troll the worm/wabbler with a rowboat, and when we get sick of rowing, cast some worms and spoons and spinners at them.  Any fly selections for this time of year- I'd assume a muddler or booger or something?
Any other tips you guys may have I'd appreciate your input.
 a). how you prefer to rig your trolling stuff
 b.) how much if any lead should I have on
 c.) Any diner review of the place in Warrensburgh

2 Replies Related Threads

EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: ADK POND TRIP COMING 2009/09/26 21:31:31 (permalink)
    Yank:  Not sure what species you are targeting, but if it is deep and you are targeting Lake Trout, I like to imitate their forage species which is usually either smelt or whitefish.  I rig a 3 way swivel with a sinker on about a 3 foot dropper and a flutter spoon of some sort trailing @ 5 or 6 feet back--longer is better, but your rod length may limit the length of the leader.  I don't like to use more than 10# on the leader, usually go with 8 for the lakers.  I pick flutter spoons that have a lot of silver on them (the Michigan Stingers at Dicks are good ones).  For lakers I use a 3 3/4" or @ 4 inch spoon, but I don't like the real wide ones as they drag too much and take more weight to keep them down.  Go real slow and jig the rod in long sweeps forward and ease it back slowly so the spoon can fall (flutter) some as it drops down a bit.  If you're not getting much action, change spoon size and or color.  Last week we were surprised to be catching bass as deep as 30 feet (near a drop off).  I suspect they were down there feeding on the smelt, as they hit the same lures we were using for Lake Trout.  We found the lake trout at about 30 to 35 feet last Monday.  Didn't catch any deeper than that.  I've also had luck with lakers using deer hair and/or curly tail jigs.  You need a fairly heavy jig head though to get you down deep and again, go slow.  Those should obviously work for both bass and lakers.  I haven't tried the flutter spoons for walleye yet, but have been reading about it recently and will try it on my next walleye expedition.  They use the same type of flutter spoons, but a little smaller and they fish them as described above.  The thing I like about the 3 way setup is that it is real easy to adjust your weight to keep it on the bottom.  With the sinker bouncing the bottom, your spoon isn't far off it.  If I find the fish at say 30 feet, I like to follow the contour of the lake at that depth give or take 5 feet and fish right on the bottom.  Look for structure on the fish finder that drops steeply from shallow to deep.  Hope you have a good day, I'll be looking for a report.  I expect to be in my treestand on Monday trying to fill last years archery tag!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: ADK POND TRIP COMING 2009/09/27 21:10:48 (permalink)
    Thanks Crg... I'll be going for brookies but there maybe some lakers in there as well... I'm still not sure as to the depth of this pond til I make a few circuits on it. Looks like the deluge tonight will have some effect on clarity of water..that may be a good thing with those spooky trout though. Hopefully the trail isn't a river when i get there. Report will follow... peace and fish.
    Jump to: