Tying crappie jigs

Author
Mr.Jigs
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 352
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/24 21:59:25 (permalink)

Tying crappie jigs

I went and picked up a bunch of jig/fly tying materials today and started tying some crappie jigs, I forgot how much fun that can be. anyone else tie there own jigs? Lol my first one looked like a cross between a hair ball and a booger. hope to get the old style back by tomorrow. I think it's cool to catch a fish on a jig you tied yourself. I bet some of you fly tiers have some cool fly's

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!

5 Replies Related Threads

KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Tying crappie jigs 2009/09/24 22:53:26 (permalink)
    Catching something on anything you create yourself is awesome.  I tie flies, but they are crappy (no pun intended).  I usually leave some sort of trademark on my flies, or can just distinguish between mine and professionally tied flies, and I can distinctly remember the first tiny trout I caught on one I tied myself.  I reveled in the fact that the chase had actually started months before I caught that fish; it added a whole new level to the game. 

Add level 3 & 4, which to me are using materials you have collected yourself (i.e. catching fish on deer hair caddis tied from my pop's deer hides from the early '70s) and creating your own pattern that actually works (I've never done this), and that is the pinnacle.

Regardless of species, that's the best!  Happy tying Jigs!

Showing up is 88% of life!
    KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Tying crappie jigs 2009/09/24 23:01:06 (permalink)
    As a side note, pops used to tie or make his own lures for saltwater.  Although they are completely different types of fishing, it continues to amaze me that so many of the basic techniques are transferable from salt to fresh water, and vice versa.

Nothing like a bead of red, or the flash of chrome.  Pretty much universal.

Showing up is 88% of life!
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Tying crappie jigs 2009/09/25 05:39:14 (permalink)
    i think there are a good handfull of guys on here who love tying one on... I mean tying flies and jigs.
    Jigs  i used to tie a lot panfish jigs, i kept it simple with just a fine chenille body and a marabou tail, but I am sure you got some real crappie killers.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Tying crappie jigs 2009/09/25 14:59:22 (permalink)
    Tying crappie jigs is easy...

Tying nice jigs is tougher...
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Tying crappie jigs 2009/09/25 20:57:20 (permalink)
    Great feed back all! you know its funny all day at work everything I looked at made me think would that work as a tail or hey that red wire cover bent and slid over the hook shank or when I was using tar to fill a cut in the asphalt... hmmm wrap thread around hot tar on hair...lmao sounds like real mess. 

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Jump to: