LICENSE RENEWAL

Author
eagleed
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/24 07:42:39 (permalink)

LICENSE RENEWAL

Don't forget to renew your fishing license before 10/01.  Just a friendly reminder for my good fishing buddies.

Eagle Ed

20 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 13:30:16 (permalink)
    say Ed, I'm just curious as to where might these substantial incresaes be going to besides the normal deep pockets conducting such business.. My non-resident new york anual fishing license is going from 40 dollars to 70 dollars. Anybody care to debate a good reason why such an increase is needed for such recreation?

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 14:21:32 (permalink)
    Just seems odd that there is no where http://www.dec.ny.gov/130.html#W from A TO Z on this site disclosing why such a substantial increase is mandated. Perhaps someday in the future we will get a simple explaination as to why and how the money is being used by state govt agencies. I sure would like an explaination where my 30 dollars more a year is being distributed!

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 15:37:11 (permalink)
    New York rapes it's citizens once again.   $39 my**** @!$@#%# crooks.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 15:51:56 (permalink)
    yank, just trying to figure out why the DEC site doesn't even bother to explain such increases! lol.. i'm buying cause i enjoy fishing enough but, I know so far three close that will not purchase a non resident license this year. Paterson is blind in more ways than meets the eye.jmho

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 16:55:07 (permalink)
    you said it PATTERSON, the DEC is in rough shape, I am glad I got out when I did because I know a lot of people who lost jobs.
    No offens backin but the nys out of state license has been a great deal for a while, my wife is from NJ and the resident license was around 36 dollars with a trout stamp. 40 bucks for NY outta state ain't bad, and I think NY has a lot more to offer fishing wise then NJ. Most other out of state licenses are ridiculous. I know 70 bucks isn't chump change, but the 40 dollars for a while was a great deal.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 17:55:55 (permalink)
    jk, i just don't understand why so much a bump from one season to the next, especially not knowing exactly where this additional money is being directed! ..Is it to increase wildlife santuaries in fish and game or fund other agencies not directly associated with sportfishing management? I would hate to think it is feeding pigs and their associates if you know what I mean.. I have had such a slow season business wise,everybody is losing jobs and putting off home improvements according to recent surveys. I find it ironic for officials to take rather than give in this case.. as I mentioned previous post, some do not think it is much a good deal at all! That leaves just fewer to support new yorks F&G
    peace!
    ORIGINAL: jkbugger

you said it PATTERSON, the DEC is in rough shape, I am glad I got out when I did because I know a lot of people who lost jobs.
    No offens backin but the nys out of state license has been a great deal for a while, my wife is from NJ and the resident license was around 36 dollars with a trout stamp. 40 bucks for NY outta state ain't bad, and I think NY has a lot more to offer fishing wise then NJ. Most other out of state licenses are ridiculous. I know 70 bucks isn't chump change, but the 40 dollars for a while was a great deal.

kjo43
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 18:07:31 (permalink)
    Here is a page with the beginnings of an explaination... http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54955.html
    I don't like the rate changes either, but I think there's possibly some good reasoning - if my income was exactly the same as it was in 2002 I would be making some tough choices, ie. Keep the truck for another year; don't go on that vacation to someplace warm...  from JK's comments it sounds like they have been making some tough choices (layoffs etc.) in addition to raising fees.

I think everyone can agree there is some direct correlation to the quality of the fishery, through stocking and mangement and the amount of fees that are paid in by license holders... Did DEC hold the fee increase as a last resort? probabally not... but if there are no fish left there's going to be no revenue generated by license sales.

Do I sound like a lifetime license holder
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 18:32:30 (permalink)
    kj you a dep officer? ty for the page, I guess that 30 dollars more anually is going to help fund the proper authorities as it appears. Wondering though,if the state is saying they are way behind and needed such increases, is it because I'm seeing so many helicopters over the nyc reses since 9/11? Are they using this extra money flying expensive flights for security /training etc. or is this flight patrol/survey division being funded by other sources in state govt?

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 19:09:24 (permalink)
    NYC Reservoirs = NYC DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) 

New York State Waters = New York DEC (Department of Environmental Conservation)

The two agencies are dramtically different.  New York CITY (not the state) manages the reservoirs, and actually pays county taxes (Ulster/Sullivan/Orange) in the areas where they have pruchased property.  They continue to buy any and all riparian land available in the Catskills in an effort to better buffer the water supply and avoid being forced to build a multi-BILLION dollar water filtration plant.  It's way cheaper for them to buy land that it is to build the plant.  Truth is, most Catskill residents (at least my neighbors in Claryville) actually like the NYC DEP as 'neighbors' since they allow access for no cost, yet still pay high property tax in the area.  Some folks worry that when the day comes that NYC is forced to build a filtration plant, they will sell off their vast Catskill area land holdings, or deed 'em to the state as State Forest land.  Sounds good and all, but that's many million sof dollars in tax base lost for those already VERY poor counties down there.

The DEP exists solely to protect the water quality for the 12,000,000 people relying on the reservoirs to fulfill their needs at the tap.  DEP employees actually make NYC-area wages, but live cheaply in the 'Skills.  Pretty good gig, actually, and far more lucrative than their state officer counterparts.

Try a $75,000/yr salary (DEP) versus a sub-$50,000/yr salary (state)

The New York STATE agency is the DEC- which issues the fishing licenses (thus, an entirely different agency from the one who issues the free reservoir access permits)...  As Bugger said- the STATE is struggling.  All the New York State Forest/Park land is state-managed and no property tax revenue is generated.

But it sure does provide one heck of a playground for outdoor lovers.  NY State still has stiffer protection for their wildlands than even our National Parks managed by the Feds.  Odd, but true.  Once the state buys or inherits land, it stays state land in perpetuity.  This state is in rough shape financially- but ecologically there is really no equal in the Lower 48 states.  I can say that with a straight face in confidence based on experience.

I think NYC's agency is doing just fine- thus helicopter rides, etc.  It ain't costing anything to fish the Rondout, Ashokan, Neversink, etc...  So rest assured those zero dollars you paid for a reservoir permit aren't being wasted.

As for the STATE coffers, that's a whole 'nother story altogether.  Same with the Feds.  They are screwed.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 19:13:56 (permalink)
    Massive confusion starts when federal, state and city agencies are confused.  They are different entities with vastly different missions.

Same thing as when people would ask if I was a US Forest Ranger...  No, it's National Park Ranger.

US Forest Service is overseen by the Department of Agriculture (tree farmers)
    National Park Service is overseen by the Department of Interior (tree huggers)

Our state park and state forest are managed by different agencies too.  The clearer that becomes, the more accurately you can place the blame.  A well-read critic is well-recieved.  The opposite holds true as well.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 19:20:36 (permalink)
    Sorry for the rant, Gents...  It's just tough to sit back when fingers are pointed at the wrong people.

Read up on the land management agencies in our state, learn what they do, and you will see why they do it.

As for gripes about the government, I am right there with you.  It's our right to complain about those who govern us.  But I think deep down it is our obligation to also be well informed before throwing punches.

I'll be in Long Beach Island, NJ for my annual Columbus Day Weekend trip- and I would sure as heck buy a license if it was needed.  But for what I am doing and where I am doing it, there is no license needed.

Just like if someone wanted to go fire a few casts off Montauk Point on Long Island.  It's free. 

As for the &^#*&^$*-ing Hudson River license...  I am at a loss for that one myself.  How weird.

Tough times all around, no doubt.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 19:43:22 (permalink)
    Thank you Jimmy, great posts bro,both a good read. I hope conservation uses it wisely. Are you aware up at the Canonsville resi,the state (or correct me city?) has some kind of three year trial program going? The state is experimenting recreational public access parking with portajons and gravel ramps but so far by DEP permit access only. wondering why all of a sudden they trying something new for kayaking /hunting/hiking ? Do you believe that expensive filtration system is unavoidable and is already in program?
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/09/30 19:46:10

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 19:54:38 (permalink)
    never thought i was pointing finger at anyone, just wanted to understand the logic in spiking an anual fishing license 30 dollars more! And sorry you might of misunderstood me or you are taking any kind of insult to my question jimbo.
    ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

Sorry for the rant, Gents...  It's just tough to sit back when fingers are pointed at the wrong people.

Read up on the land management agencies in our state, learn what they do, and you will see why they do it.

As for gripes about the government, I am right there with you.  It's our right to complain about those who govern us.  But I think deep down it is our obligation to also be well informed before throwing punches.

I'll be in Long Beach Island, NJ for my annual Columbus Day Weekend trip- and I would sure as heck buy a license if it was needed.  But for what I am doing and where I am doing it, there is no license needed.

Just like if someone wanted to go fire a few casts off Montauk Point on Long Island.  It's free. 

As for the &^#*&^$*-ing Hudson River license...  I am at a loss for that one myself.  How weird.

Tough times all around, no doubt.

post edited by backin79 - 2009/09/30 20:00:51

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 21:46:57 (permalink)
    Backin- no aplogoies needed, my man...  Sorry if it came off as 'holier than thou' or harsh, I just want to make sure you've got the right facts in order to form an educated and credible opinion.  Also, as residents of this state it is our taxes that pay for the management of our (state) property.  We own it.  We like it.  So does everyone who visits.  Out-of-state licenses are meant to supplement that budget so folks already paying taxes in the state don't carry an even heavier burden.

Similar example: if you and I both wanted to go to Rutgers Univ (NJ), you'd pay like $8000/yr.  I'd pay $20,000. 

But if you wished to attend the fine, fine institution of SUNY Cortland- the roles are reversed.  Taxes, man.

Once you know which people/agencies do what, you'll understand why the priorities and management strategies differ so much.  I admit it's confusing as hell- but I made sure to listen and learn all I could when I lived in the middle of it all.  My 'neighbors' on one side were the STATE of NY...  My 'neighbors' on the other were the CITY of NY.  Most Upstaters sure seem to know the difference between how the state works and how the city does it.

I can only assume that most Upstaters make it clear to others we don't live downstate (and vice versa, ha!).

As for the Cannonsville reservoir- it's NYC's property and NYC's water...  The local residents surrounding the bigger NYC reservoirs have complained for years about the boating regs, so New York CITY () has relented a bit and decided to try a little experiment with paddlers and sailors.  It should be interesting to see how it pans out.

The city's DEP struggles between offering clean water (priority #1- which requires massive manpower and patrols to ensure no bozo drops a barrel of benzene in the Nevesink and kills a million people) and offering access to the people who live nearby (and who's land was taken to keep the city dwellers hydrated). Tough balance, I bet!

Now here is where it gets tricky.  Water from those Reservoirs is piped underground in massive viaducts.  For example:  Water from the Neversink AND West Branch both get piped into the Rondout Reservoir.  The whole system of reservoirs is linked so that water can be moved where needed, when it's needed.  The flexibility of the system is simply mind-boggling.  I used to drink beer and play cards with two old men who worked on building the Neversink Dam when they were teens.  I am convinced the Rondout Browns get so big simply because there are THREE lakes worth of sawbellies in there.  If you look carefully near the Rt 55 and Rt55A intersection you will notice there are TWO outlet stations.  One from the Dellie- one from the Neversink.  They even generate a little power from each outflow to run the lights and equipment at the flow stations (those brick buildings).  Pretty cool!

It's also worth noting that **** near the WHOLE system (from Margaretville to Manhattan) is basically gravity-fed.  That in itself is an engineering marvel!  I don't think there are any substantial 'lift stations' until you hit the Bronx or Brooklyn.  I still shake my head in amazement- how did they do that?

One more twist.  While the CITY of New York owns the Cannonsville Reservoir, Dam, and underground viaducts, th water that flows over the dam (and not through the pipeline) feeds the West Branch of the Deleware which is managed and regulated by the STATE of New York.  Confused yet?

It is the STATE that mandates release flows, yet the CITY that patrols and protects the reservoirs.

In a nutshell- any water that goes down the pipes to MannyHootie is owned by the CITY.

Any water that flows over the dam (or gets bottom-released) is owned by the STATE.

Crazy stuff, right?  I am really sorry if I am starting to sound like a pompus know-it-all, I swear that is not the point here.  I suppose what I am really saying is that those helicopters you see flying over the reservoirs have nothing to do with the DEC or the state.  In truth, they are funded by the CITY. 

Or more likely, Homeland Security or similar federal grants.  That water is crucial to literally 12,000,000 people.

Same is true of those badass Boston Whalers the DEP uses on the reservoirs with those ridiculous 250hp outboards.  I've been 'stopped' by them plenty while out in my Neversink and Rondout rowboats.  City employees.

Sorry again.  I gave a vevry long lecture in Vermont today, and I guess I am still on my soapbox.

Can't wait to see you at Loon Lake this winter, Backin.  We'll meet ya' at Crossroads at 6am!  Rock on!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 21:58:34 (permalink)
    P.S.:  Thanks for the reminder about the expiring fishing licenses, Ed!  (Almost forgot!)
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 22:24:55 (permalink)
    No doubt Jimmy, the entire history of that watershed is to be appreciated, I'm all for preservation and certainly respect both the DEP and DEC efforts for managing whats left. The history was and still is considered one of the worlds most complex engineering feats even by todays standards! The ashokan res http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashokan_Reservoir the oldest canonsville the youngest. I too am amazed how they tunneled all those sheds through mts. I must close my camper soon probably this weekend and than i'll be concentrating on the nev and roundout perhaps a few trips over peekamoose to esopus and ashokan fall trout. sure looking forward to some good adk ice busch peace bro

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/09/30 22:34:13 (permalink)

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/10/01 17:25:43 (permalink)
    wow thats cool 79

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/10/01 21:34:16 (permalink)
    Ed:  If you only need a license if you catch fish, you might not need one!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: LICENSE RENEWAL 2009/10/01 22:20:11 (permalink)
    Soon enough we'll all be back around the campfire with the guitars... 

Singing rounds of "Kumbaya" and swaying side to side...

You guys are great.  This FishUSA forum is easily the best on the web, in my mind.  Debates (especially about fishing) are great when they don't get personal or anything.  Factual debates are even better. 

And the periodic jabs among buddies only adds to my smile. I only hope I don't get to be TOO close with Ed and Craig...  I am not sure I can handle it!  But then again, maybe I could. 

I'm sure it would be worth it for the laughter alone.
    Jump to: