Adirondack Magic

Author
EagleCrg
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/23 10:49:11 (permalink)

Adirondack Magic

Monday a friend and I hit one of my favorite Adirondack Lakes for Lake Trout.  It was one of the most memorable fishing days ever. The weather started out pretty cool but warmed up into the 70s but without the humidity.  The day was so gorgeous it would have been a banner day even if we didn't catch any fish.  However, did the fish ever cooperate!!  We caught 9 lakers, probably lost another 5 or 6 and mixed in were a bunch of smallies that were hammering our offerings as deep as 30 feet.  All I could figure was that both the lakers and the smallmouth were feeding on the smelt.  We were finding fish along structure that dropped from shallower water to deeper water and figured the smallies were hitting the bait from above and the lakers from below.  The lakers all ranged between 20 and 26 inches and most of the bass were in the 14 - 17 inch range.  All fish released.

Anticipation:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/EagleCrg/?action=view&current=P1010038.jpg

Beautiful Morning:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/EagleCrg/?action=view&current=P1010037.jpg

The "Guide":
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/EagleCrg/?action=view&current=P1010040.jpg

The Student:
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/EagleCrg/?action=view&current=P1010043.jpg

Success:
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/EagleCrg/?action=view&current=P1010042.jpg

Lucky Fish:
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/EagleCrg/?action=view&current=P1010041.jpg

Chubby Fisherman:
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/EagleCrg/?action=view&current=P1010039.jpg

I didn't get any pictures of the bass, they just didn't seem as photogenic as the lakers, but those smallmouth sure do put up a fight.  Most of the lakers were caught on a 3 way rig with flutter spoons or a small hopkins on the fall.  Some of the bass were caught on the same things and a variety of other jigs/baits.  They weren't as selective as the lakers.  We used 6 - 8 pound test and all fish released.

Some other memorable things that happened:  When Bruce (my friend) had a fish on I had reeled up the 3 way rig I was using and laid the rod in the boat with the sinker dangling straight down the back and the flutter spoon was fluttering about 6 feet back, just under the surface.  Something, proabaly a smallmouth, came up and slammed the flutter spoon and snapped the line, running off with my spoon.  Argggghhh!  It stole the most productive flutter spoon.  Others were no where near as productive.  Not sure of the maker of the spoon, but got it at Dicks....am headed back there soon to stock up on some.  Another unusual thing that happened was a garter snake that we discovered in the middle of the lake that had its tail around my portable fish finder (has a vertical shaft) and was just cruising along, hanging onto the boat.  We have no idea where it came from and were in the middle of the lake when we notice it.  I pulled it away from the fish finder and it moved right behind the boat where it caught the current eddy behind the boat and rode along with us for a ways.  I finally shooed it away as it looked like it was interested in getting in the boat. It just drifted off in the middle of the lake.  We watched to see if a fish would come up and grab it, but there were no takers while we watched.  A grand day in a beautiful spot.  I purposely haven't mentioned the name of the lake and would appreciated it if no one else mentions it, should you recognize it.  I will say that it is public access.

post edited by EagleCrg - 2009/09/23 10:52:25

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

18 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/23 12:31:24 (permalink)
    Very nice guys !!! Great report and pics !

LT & Smallies both very fun to catch
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/23 13:03:10 (permalink)
    Beautiful looking lake and fish Ed. Sorry we couldn't hook up this past week. 

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/23 13:46:06 (permalink)
    Sweet Lakers, Ed!

It's hard to beat September when the weather cooperates...  I was up in the ADKs last week and it was simply spectacular...  Very few people around, some slight colors of Fall on the trees, and all the peace and quiet anyone could ever ask for.

I've never tried trolling flutter spoons on a 3-way rig, but I have a whole box of Stingers, Erie Dearies, and others that might have to get some use this Fall!  Thanks for the report!
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/23 14:01:06 (permalink)
    Don't confuse EagleEd with EagleCrg!   We're good friends, but I'm no Eagles/Phillies fan!!  Yankees rock!!
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/23 14:45:01 (permalink)
    Please remember that Eagle Ed is the one that catches the big fish and doesn't show photos of the same small laker with people holding it in seven different ways.  All those photos are of the same fish and by the way - Where are the photos of the smallies???

Eagle Ed
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/23 15:53:50 (permalink)
    Awesome report Crg!  I am SO itching to get up there and try my luck with an ADK pond.  Looks like the time is right. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/23 20:19:05 (permalink)
    Crg, awesome fish & fishin' . You gave some great tips with the 3 way something I'll have to try. Thanks for sharing and we'll keep the names out (Pucker bush pond) to protect the guilty..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/23 20:42:55 (permalink)
    glad you gentlemen had a wonderful outting.. me thinks that magic fog works in the morning on the lakers.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/23 20:44:44 (permalink)
    LOL tuna, Nice catch Ed, nice pics.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/24 07:40:28 (permalink)
    Hot Tuna:

Actually, that looks like Crane Pond; but I don't know how they got back in there with that big boat/motor.  I thought you couldn't fish that pond with a boat and gas operated motor.  That really small one looks like a splake.
    Of course with Eagle Crg anything is possible.  More good news-we no longer have to worry about bears getting us in the woods as the season opened 9/19!

Eagle Ed
    post edited by eagleed - 2009/09/24 07:41:17
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/24 18:30:15 (permalink)
    Nice Ed, really I thought it was a bit north of crane pond some where near a place called T. Even though I know Crane is over run with dink lakers I wish it would get more publicity on the internet so more people can clean them out and the state stops lowering the size limit. Heck might as well just take all the brookies in the area as well why they are at it .

Maybe we can get the whole gang together (lurkers included) and make a clean sweep on the hardwater, lets say Loon & Putnam Pond ???
    But what am I afraid of there are 5.9 million other acres up there.

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/25 07:50:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

Nice Ed, really I thought it was a bit north of crane pond some where near a place called T. Even though I know Crane is over run with dink lakers I wish it would get more publicity on the internet so more people can clean them out and the state stops lowering the size limit. Heck might as well just take all the brookies in the area as well why they are at it .

Maybe we can get the whole gang together (lurkers included) and make a clean sweep on the hardwater, lets say Loon & Putnam Pond ???
    But what am I afraid of there are 5.9 million other acres up there.

R J

Glad to hear you agree with me that there is too much secrecy on good fishing locations.  With that much of an area to cover it still leaves plenty of space for honey holes being kept to one's self.  Never thought of myself as a "lurker", but do enjoy sharing some of the good spots in a PM with my fishing friends.

Eagle Ed
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/09/25 08:25:48 (permalink)
    with 1142 posts I'd hardly call you a "lurker". For sure there is just too much open space and not enough ppl for all those fish to go around so it's always a good thing to let others know where the fishing is good by recognition of a photo.
    So with that I'll try to keep things simple so even anyone can recognize them in the future (even the lurkers) LOL
    Nuff said, I'll be out of here for the next week so someone will have to keep folks up on the hot spots until I return.

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/10/06 15:05:12 (permalink)
    RJ:

1142 is my zip code!  Stop smoking that stuff for breakfast!  LMAO!

Eagle Ed

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

with 1142 posts I'd hardly call you a "lurker". For sure there is just too much open space and not enough ppl for all those fish to go around so it's always a good thing to let others know where the fishing is good by recognition of a photo.
    So with that I'll try to keep things simple so even anyone can recognize them in the future (even the lurkers) LOL
    Nuff said, I'll be out of here for the next week so someone will have to keep folks up on the hot spots until I return.

got em
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/10/06 20:20:07 (permalink)
    WAKE AND BAKE 
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/10/06 20:32:55 (permalink)
    Wait a second!!!  Before we start flingin' stuff, lemme' ask you all one question:

Who the hell puts their friggin' ZIP CODE on their profile?

Email doesn't need a zip code, my friend!  Does Fed Ex deliver to your profile, or what?

Now put down the bong and we'll show you how this interweb works!

What time's breakfast around here anyway?

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/10/06 20:48:47 (permalink)
    Crg, Nice Report and some nice looking Lakers!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Adirondack Magic 2009/10/07 10:25:26 (permalink)
    Jimmy:

Two eggs scrambled and don't break the yokes!

Eagle Ed

ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

Wait a second!!!  Before we start flingin' stuff, lemme' ask you all one question:

Who the hell puts their friggin' ZIP CODE on their profile?

Email doesn't need a zip code, my friend!  Does Fed Ex deliver to your profile, or what?

Now put down the bong and we'll show you how this interweb works!

What time's breakfast around here anyway?

Jump to: