the others have been cleaned and are ready to be tied in tip first

barbell eyes and a bit of puesudo seal for a head

others...

23 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 05:42:50 (permalink)
    KJ - fantastic job! Great pics. Funny thing you should post this - the last time I was at the fly shop, I noticed they had just started to carry the Wadington Shanks. I guess I gotta make another trip there thanks to you. LOL!!!! Thanks alot for putting this up.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2672
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 08:26:38 (permalink)
    do you not cement the fire line on there?
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 08:52:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loomis

do you not cement the fire line on there?

i would throw some super glue on there... if i could find it

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2672
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 08:53:35 (permalink)
    try Wally World, if u can find that.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 08:59:36 (permalink)

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 09:00:46 (permalink)

id rather not use the super glue

d
    you tie a fuller stinger fly... right?
    post edited by KJH807 - 2009/09/23 09:02:27

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 09:03:11 (permalink)

Is that the shorn locks of a Stiller fan from Underbrook? You told him it was going to Locks of Love, but instead you are tying flies with it? Personally, I'd braid it into a rat tail.
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/09/23 09:19:49

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 09:21:25 (permalink)
    KJH, the two spey hackles you used for the intruder. What are they? Just curious cause I have never seen the whiting spey hackle before. The white looks like split goose shoulder.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 09:54:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

d
    you tie a fuller stinger fly... right?

yea.  I have a few more, no pics yet.  I got to get tying in a big way.

4 saddle hackles, marabou and mallard.

RC has seen it in action, nearly enticing giant beaver trout to strike.

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 11:21:06 (permalink)
    the white is "spey hackle" from steelhead anglers...
    similar to schlappen but sparser.... kinda like burt goose shoulder but thicker
    i used a full feather instead of stripping a side

the black is the whiting, but only a bronze
    i had a shop order it for me to test...
    not bad, just very sparse and a good amount of twisted stems

norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 11:34:39 (permalink)
    Thanks KJH. There are so many things out there that make suitable spey hackle. Was just curious. I wish I could post some good pics. I've been experimenting with some synthetic materials in my swingin flies and the crappy pics just don't do them any justice at all!
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 11:41:03 (permalink)
    yeah... and its crazy when people re-package and label as "spey hackle" you can't figure out whats what

the white is some kind of goose

from whiting about their spey hackles...

"Spey and Dee flies demand a unique type of feather to create their swept back profiles and flowing movement in swift water. Initially “Spey****€ feathers from special roosters of the Spey River Valley in Scotland; from which both fly and chicken derived their name, provided ideal feathers to tie Spey and Dee flies. But the already obscure Spey****stock dwindled into oblivion in the early 20th century, or at least their numbers became insufficient to perpetuate this specific line of fowl. Furthermore, the use of feathers from various European and Asian Heron species came into vogue in Spey, Dee and other Salmon flies, de-emphasizing the use of Spey****feathers which probably also contributed to their demise. With the advent of legal protection of Heron species, especially in North America, the search for suitable substitutes for Heron feathers led to a number of other species and types of feathers being tried. Particular Heron substitutes have included rooster schlappen, Ring-Necked Pheasant and Blue Eared Pheasant “rump” (saddle) feathers, bleached goose shoulder and various

duck flank feathers. All these substitutes have been used with varying success and are in themselves a testament to the ingenuity and creativity of Spey fly tiers. But what worked best; Spey****and Heron, was what was actually sought, not the substitute. With Heron feathers illegal to use, and Spey****essentially extinct, and their various substitutes being just that - substitutes, Whiting Farms set out to create feathers for Spey, Dee and Salmon flies on a chicken that were not only as good as Heron or Spey**** but hopefully superior. So in the mid 1990’s Tom Whiting, founder and owner of Whiting Farms, embarked on creating a unique line of fowl good enough to completely replace, and hopefully even improve upon, Heron and Spey****feathers. Instigating a number of genetic avenues, development proceeded towards a “genetic” Spey Hackle, which then became available after about 5 years of initial selection work. Feather characteristics sought included long, substantial barbs, absence of any webbing between the barbs, non brittleness of the entire feather and excellent density for good value. In addition to a pure white, which is ideal for dying, an array of other color and pattern genes were incorporated into this “genetic” Spey hackle stock. Thus new and unusual feather colors and patterns would be available to encourage the inherent creativity of fly tiers"

norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 11:53:57 (permalink)
    Looks like I will have to acquire some of the whiting spey hackles and try them out. Just something to add to my spey materials.
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 20:27:48 (permalink)
    You like them Wads? I like them because the are heavier than your average hook for one. I use them for my winter and high flows work.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/23 22:26:51 (permalink)
    not sure...

vises don't like em
    I bought them, because i didn't want to cut any more salmon hooks and i thought the weight would be nice

but, mainly for the same reason i do most of this shlt...... "just because"

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/09/24 05:54:17 (permalink)
    My Peek does an OK job. Trust me, I dont love that vise by any means. We may have to evolve into tubes.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/10/06 10:21:33 (permalink)
    swinger, KJH, et al.

I've been working on a few streamers (for myself) between tying up bread & butter steelhead flies (for a few friends) and had a few questions.

I got some weighted eyes to tie on and on one of the streamers I just about ran out of room. To be honest, I forgot about adding the eyes till the very end. While the head might have been perfect with no eyes, it needed some weight, so I crammed them in at the head, lashed it down, and zap-a-gap'ed it. Honestly, it looks crowded...but will it make a difference in the action of the fly having the eyes too close to the eye?

Second: I haven't added stinger hooks to any of mine...is there any rule of thumb you use to determine what size to use and how long to make its tether?
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/10/06 10:44:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold
    I got some weighted eyes to tie on and on one of the streamers I just about ran out of room. To be honest, I forgot about adding the eyes till the very end. While the head might have been perfect with no eyes, it needed some weight, so I crammed them in at the head, lashed it down, and zap-a-gap'ed it. Honestly, it looks crowded...but will it make a difference in the action of the fly having the eyes too close to the eye?

the closer to the eye o fthe hook, the more of a "jigging" action the fly will have in the water.  The farther back from the eye, the more of a "sliding" action it will have.  Same principle as Clouser minnows.  You should attache the lead eyes first when tying those.

Second: I haven't added stinger hooks to any of mine...is there any rule of thumb you use to determine what size to use and how long to make its tether?

Stingers are the entire point of intruders, to stick tose steelhead that like to pluck at a swung fly from behind, toying with your fly and not committing to the eat.  My intruders have the main hook removed with wire cutters after tying them.

Stinger size, I use #4 and #2 octopus hooks.  I can't go smaller because I can't get the doubled over line through the hook eye.  I also use 50lb spider wire for the tether.  If you use heavy mono, you're limited even more to larger hooks.

As for length of the tether, I have a point on my vise that I'm measuring to, with the tether, and the tail material.  I do it to the same spot each time.  This way I know that the hook is right at the tip of the tail material, every time.
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/10/06 11:19:36 (permalink)
    Very good points D-nymph.

I tie my eyes on first. I do use circle hooks and octopus hooks down to a size 8, but I do not use 50lb spiderwire. I use 24lb spider wire or 20lb dacron backing. Have not had one come apart yet, knock on wood, so I'm not gonna change it up. The main hook is clipped, pretty much just using it for the body. In a way it's kinda wasting a hook so I have been tying more intruder styles on tubes and shanks. As for measuring the length of the stinger hook. When you first tie the tether in, with just a few wraps, you can still pull it free. After a couple wraps, I'll prepare my tail material and put it where I want it to be and adjust the tether as needed. Sometimes I hit just right and others I have to move it. As far as hook placement, I put it anywhere from tips of tail material being even with the bend of the hook(covering hook up) or even with the hook eye and having the hook behind the tail material.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2974
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/10/06 13:38:08 (permalink)
    Norm,
    How are those circle hooks working out. Do you put it point up or down?
     Seems like such a tiny gap.

norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/10/06 13:47:57 (permalink)
    I have been using the circle hooks on smaller size patterns. 2" flies for stream trout and smallmouth. So far no problems but I have not tried to dress any of the hooks like I do with some of the bigger patterns and octopus hooks. I put the point opposite the side of the shank I put my eyes on. When I am tying them the hook point is resting on my vise and I put the eyes on the top of the shank. So I guess it would be hook point up when going through the water, but with the flexibility of the tether they probably go all over the place lol.
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/10/06 20:47:10 (permalink)
    I go over bored tethering. I use 50 pound braid but I wrap mine with thread up bebind the barbell eye zapa gap it the hole lenth of shank, wrap it back down the shank like im dubbin back toward the hook shank then whip finish leave my bobbin hang then zapa gap it again. I dont want these thins comin apart I guess I rather over do it than have then to loose a fish.

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: intruder-ish 2009/10/06 20:49:38 (permalink)
    post edited by PACOFRANSICO - 2009/10/06 22:28:34

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    Jump to: