Pike??

Author
Duane
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 106
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/20 09:57:11 (permalink)

Pike??

Since the weather is getting alot cooler I understand that the pike fishing gets alot better in the fall. Does anyone here have any advice on possible bodies of water to have a good shot at getting into some pike. I know the obvious Saratoga Lake has its share. I have never targeted them before and never caught one. Heck if anyone has a free weekend and would like to show me a little bit about pike fishing I always have an open seat. Thanks alot guys!

6 Replies Related Threads

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Pike?? 2009/09/20 10:33:51 (permalink)
    Duane:

There is great pike fishing on Lake Lonely, but access is only from Crescent Avenue at the Lake Lonely Boat Livery (Launching Fee $5 - if it has not gone up).  Problem is you have to return by 6:30pm to get your boat out of the water before he locks up the access gate.
    To find Lake Lonely Boat Livery get off Northway at Exit 15 toward Saratoga Springs.  Take Route 9 to sign indicating right turn for Saratoga Harness (that is Crescent Avenue).  Continue on Crescent Avenue to first stop sign.  Drive straight across and continue on Crescent Avenue to Lake Lonely Boat Livery.  You can purchase large shiners there for bait, but ask Billy Perry (the owner) about where to fish for the pike.  Tell him Eagle Ed sent you and he will give you the best advice on recent catches.
    Usually best fishing is just off the weed beds at the Northern end of the lake and off the point where the lake turns back toward the Saratoga National Golf Course.

Eagle Ed
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Pike?? 2009/09/20 19:51:08 (permalink)
    Large white spinner baits over submerged weedbeds, the Hudson has some good spots. Deadfishred might be able to give you some spots to try  

Where do you normally lauch on the river ?

BB
    Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Pike?? 2009/09/20 20:07:53 (permalink)
    Well the Hudson launch is the closest to me, but I usually launch my boat in Columbiaville Creek on the Stockport Flats.
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Pike?? 2009/09/21 00:18:58 (permalink)
    Ed is right about Pike in Lake Lonely. This is a Prop bait after about 6 hours on Lake Lonely, was new out of the box. Pic is a little blurry but the brown toward the tail is where the paint was ripped off by the toothy buggers. Took several pike plus a couple nice bass that day. You ever want to get out on Lake Lonely and need to fill a seat I'm about a mile or so down the road from it and have a pretty flexible schedule.

Tight Lines...Cheers
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/09/21 00:19:25

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Pike?? 2009/09/21 11:46:50 (permalink)
    Wisdom, I ran the Lake Lonely shop for the summer in '04, you must have ran into me. I've seen a few VERY large pike taken from there...but that lake is also capable of humbling experiences.
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Pike?? 2009/09/21 15:09:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deadfishred

Wisdom, I ran the Lake Lonely shop for the summer in '04, you must have ran into me. I've seen a few VERY large pike taken from there...but that lake is also capable of humbling experiences.
    My mother ran it back in around '95, '96. She ran it for a couple years. At the time I was out of work with a back injury so I fished the crap out of that lake. Pretty much from sun up to sundown 7 days a week. There was a long time where I didn't fish there but I just happened to fish there July 4th 2004 as the pic proves, so I'm sure we did bump into each other. Best pike I have caught out of there was 37" 11lbs ice fishing in the '08 season but we caught dozens in the 6 to 9 lbs range that winter but I have seen bigger come out of there.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Jump to: