Covering the strip of hide on the zonkers

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/16 08:37:25 (permalink)

Covering the strip of hide on the zonkers

I really doubt if it makes any difference in fish catching ability but whenever I tie zonkers, it always bothered me when that strip of hide that the fur is attached to was showing. Some of you probably already do this when they tie the zonker but here is an easy way to cover that white strip. (You can also just take a marker and color it but this adds a bit more flash)

1. Create your body as usual - here I used mylar tubing.

2. Tie in approx 12 strands of krystal flash material - color of choice.

3. Tie in the zonker material and using a long reach whip finish tool, tie off at this point. Trim thread. Remember to seperate the fur on the zonker strip when you tie it in so you don't trap the fur. Restart your thread at the hook eye and tie off the mylar tubing. Then pull the zonker strip over the top of the body and tie in.

4. Separate the krystal flash material in half and pull forward on each side and tie these in one at a time, covering the strip of hide.

5. Trim off the flash material and finish the head to suit. Here I used guinea and for the head I used hologram eyes coated with two part epoxy.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

1 Reply Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Covering the strip of hide on the zonkers 2009/09/16 08:46:40 (permalink)
    I tie MOAL leeches just for this reason.  All crosscut.  Great action.  Check em out.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Jump to: