Use of Medallion Sheeting

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/16 08:15:59 (permalink)

Use of Medallion Sheeting

Medallion sheeting is a material that can be used for wing and also wingcases on nymphs. For wingcases it really looks good with a coat of two part epoxy which also makes it more durable. But for winging on dry flies it can be kind of tricky to tie in. Here is a tutorial on how I do it. Others may have a different method. The thing is though that this material is not too durable for dry fly wings as it does tend to fray and weaken. I've found though that for that one fish that is pretty finicky this material can sometimes make the difference.

1. The Material:

2. Cut a small strip of the sheeting, fold it in half and with your scissors trim it into the shape of a mayfly wing.

3. Dress your dry fly in the normal manner. To create a split tail, you can make a loop of thread at the rear of the hook, tie in your tailing material (here I used two microfibbets), then take that loop of thread and pull it up between the tailing material to "split" the tails. This keeps the split in place.

4. Dress the fly with dubbing but before you wrap the hackle, make another loop of thread by wrapping the thread around your finger and tying the loop in. Continue with the hackle wrap.

5. Take the wing you created, slightly unfold it, put it in place on the fly and pull the loop of thread down between the fold in the wing. Tie the loop in place in front of the hook eye. Trim off the loop, whip finish.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: