Whip Finish tool Tutorial

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/15 17:36:06 (permalink)

Whip Finish tool Tutorial

It's probably just me but when I started out in tying flies, one of the tools I had a hard time understanding how to use was the whip finish. Even though some tiers showed me how to do it, I still had a hard time understanding how to use it. Then for some reason it just came to me. It's probably one of the hardest things for me to explain to someone unfamiliar with it.  So I thought I'd give it a try here. I don't know about others but I rarely use head cement after I whip finish and I've never had a fly come undone. I really hope this helps out.

1. The Whip Finish Tools: The larger one is for finishing off at the rear of the fly if your tying a pattern that calls for a tie in at the rear of the fly and then to re-tie in at the eye of the hook. You can use this though for all finishing except perhaps for smaller flies where the smaller tool is easier to manage. Personal preference.

2. Start by hooking the thread at the "hook" end of the tool and pull it over the notch in the tool as such:

3. With the bobbin pull the thread at a sharp angle against the notch:

4. Then rotate the tool to the right:

5. Continue rotating the tool till the thread intersects the thread tied in at the hook:

6. Again, continue rotating the tool back to the starting position and slide the tool and thread up to the hook eye or where you want to whip finish:

7. With the "loop" that is created with the tool and with tension on the thread held by the bobbin, rotate the tool and loop around the tie in point. I've found it is best to first work back a few wraps, then front a few wraps.

8. When you have enough of "turns" or wraps at the tie in point of the hook, slide the thread off the notch of the tool, pull on the bobbin while at the same time moving the "hook" of the tool close to the tie in point:

9. Slide the thread off the "hook" of the tool and pull on the bobbin to tighten the whip finish knot.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

11 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 17:44:20 (permalink)
    Very helpful!
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 17:47:15 (permalink)
    Although I know how to do most things ,basics and all, that was a great tutorial on that tool. This new tutorial thread will be awesome. I cant wait to see the flies that are going to be on here.

steely34 you got this stuff down.

It took me a few tries with that tool to start , but in time its really an easy tool to use.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 20:43:57 (permalink)
    It took me a few tries with that tool to start , but in time its really an easy tool to use.

Yeah, the first 50 or so of mine looked pretty ratty...and when I crowd the head they still do. But once you develop some muscle memory for the task, a good whip finish should take no more than 5 seconds, and frequently less than that.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 22:19:07 (permalink)
    I get so ****ed when I watch youtube videos and they throw a slick whip finish on it and I'm like... wait.. no.. go back, do that again lol
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 22:22:25 (permalink)
    Doing the whip finish by hand makes you look cooler.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 22:27:56 (permalink)
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 22:29:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flyfishermanPA

Doing the whip finish by hand makes you look cooler.

show off
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 22:42:09 (permalink)
    Not really.. Being a lefty I couldn't get any of the vids on YouTube
    (Are all fly tiers right handed?)

So I just do by hand.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 22:45:16 (permalink)
    i used to whip finish, then i misplaced my whip finisher on a trip.  since then i've done it by hand, but i really do think i need to purchase another whip finisher
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 22:46:32 (permalink)
    I'm a lefty, but from the beginning, I saw the way flies are tied and learned in that manner. Made life tons easier.

I write, cast, throw, etc. all left-handed, but things that use both hands, I normally learn in the prevailing manner (fly tying, playing the guitar, etc.) for ease of learning down the road.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whip Finish tool Tutorial 2009/09/15 22:52:17 (permalink)
    FFPA:

Check out this link:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm

The tutorials at this site are peculiar in that they're all tied "left-handed".

Might help you out on more complicated patterns. :)
    Jump to: