Sucker Spawn

Author
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/15 13:32:35 (permalink)

Sucker Spawn

The Sucker Spawn is probably the most widely used egg pattern on the Great Lakes and especially in Pennsylvania. It works in any condition, any time of the year and for any trout anywhere. For this fly I use the same MUSTAD C67S but Curved Caddis hooks work just as well.

I use Rumph and Sons Waxed thread. The thread lays flatter than a moncord and prevents bulk. Flourescent red or Orange works the best.

Attach the thread behind the eye and wrap backward just past the midway point of the hook shank. Any further will leave you with excess space after making the loops and make for a strange looking fly.

Use a piece of McFly foam about 2 or 3 inches. You don't need to use a large amount of this stuff, only about 5 inches cut from the main strips will give you about 5-6 flies and you certainly do not need to use a whole strip.  I take out sections of the cut material lengthwise, and depending on the size I tie them pretty sparse for clear water, and fuller for darker water.

Attach the material with about 4 tight wraps of thread with the excess facing toward the eye. Cut the tail material as close to your thread wraps as you can.

Pinch the material between your thumb and forefinger making a first small loop then increasing the size as you go forward.  A bodkin can also be laid perpendicular to the shank and the material pulled flat over it, using the bodkin to raise a loop. Tie with 4 secure wraps and continue forward making 4 loops.

Leave a small piece of material to give the head of the fly some bulk.

Wrap a head on the fly, but do not give it too much bulk.  Try to taper it towards the back.

Using a whip finish tool, finish the fly and apply a small dab of head cement on the head of the fly, and also run a small bead under the loops in the "vein" to give the fly more durability. 

Your Done!

Times this by about 100 and your in good shape!

Also, please do not forget you can add 2 strands of yarn for multi colors, tie in flash tails, beads, whatever!  Be creative and have fun

post edited by Loomis - 2009/09/15 13:37:30

1 Reply Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Sucker Spawn 2009/09/15 13:42:38 (permalink)
    Nice Loomis! Great pics and a great way to start this section out! Thanks alot!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Jump to: