TEST -------

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
SPIKER
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 165
  • Reward points: 0
RE: TEST ------- 2009/09/17 16:33:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DanesDad

I believe that hunting is 10% skill 90% location.

You forgot to add in dedication,gotta be on stand when that deer comes in!
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: TEST ------- 2009/09/19 16:32:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: duncsdad

Yeah, it was trail and error that lead to a 86% success rate on bucks (94% before AR/HR) and all but one year on does (so the rate if 95% + -- I don't know when one and done ended, so I can't do the exact math) in span of over 35 years during which time due first to school -- Junior High, High School, Undergrade, Grad -- and then work, I could hunt no more than 3-4 days per season. 

With that kind of luck, maybe I should play the lottery.

Or maybe, just maybe, I know a thing or two about deer.

Just not trees.

I'm not dumping on you or your methods. I used to have a "bus stop" too. I knew something about deer as well. But, when conditions changed and the bus stop went away, I found I didn't know as much about deer as I thought I did.

Do you hunt the same general area every year, or do you hunt all over the state or country? I'm assuming you are not super rich and dont go on those canned hunts. Because success rates can mean a lot of different things. If you killed 100 deer, but got 97 of them at your "bus stop", then I would think what you were really good at was keeping appointments. But, if you killed 100 deer and you did it in 50 or 60 different public access places, all over the nation, then I'd be more impressed with a high success rate. The sheer numbers dont tell the whole story.

It sounds like you approach hunting very pragmatically. You have a goal and, using knowledge of successful methods and experience, you go out and achieve that goal as quickly and efficiently as possible. That's cool as long as nobody gets hurt and you operate within the law (which I suspect you do). For some the pleasure is in the destination, for others, it is in the journey. Nothing wrong with that.
SPIKER
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: TEST ------- 2009/09/19 18:24:20 (permalink)
The thing about the usual buck kill locations ya get smaller bucks is all!!!!Ya gotta think outta the box to get the trophys in your area.They dont get that big traveling the choke points as 1-2 year olds,unless ya missed him the year before.....
Martin Shooter
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: TEST ------- 2009/09/21 21:13:18 (permalink)
Did you take a horticulture class ever?
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: TEST ------- 2009/09/22 14:22:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Martin Shooter

Did you take a horticulture class ever?

No.  Why would I?

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: