The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ?

Welcome to the Dark Side
I hear rumors,that once you start Pinnin,ya don't go back
to Spinnin or Flyin

27 Replies Related Threads

18andlife
    • Total Posts : 117
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/03/30 19:01:02 (permalink)
    That is no rumor sir..
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/02 10:28:43 (permalink)
    It can be difficult to shake the habit, but you can.  I am one of those who has a serious pinning habit, but the last few times I hit the streams I took my fly rod....  Pinning is fun, but I like to have the variety of different types of fishing.  Of course, I am a jack of all trades as you would say and a master of none...

pax vobiscum +
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/02 16:40:12 (permalink)
    I think mostly as far as Penna. fishing, it is more of a fad for gear pigs ( nothing wrong with that ). Alot of people will pick it up because it's the new IN thing to do. But most will never take the time to learn its applications, or techniques.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    CR500
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 12:00:58 (permalink)
    Float fishing is best done on moving water and at that it is without a doubt the most effective technique I've ever used for fishing moving water.  You can dissect a drift and know what is going on at all time much better then anything else that I can think of.  There are a few caveats to float fishing though. 

• The long rods used tend to have some pretty stiff butt sections.  This is mainly because most people chase big fish with their centerpin.  I just built out an 11'6" 2-6lb float rod for local trout, small mouth and other warm water river fish.  Very few people in the US fish for smaller fish with a centerpin so there are very few options that are commercially available.
    • In the UK however they fish for just about everything with a centerpin and there are all kinds of rod designs available for centerpins that don't overpower smaller fish.  My first centerpin was bought by a buddy when he was in London for a wedding.
    • Centerpinning is not inexpensive.  The average guy doesn't want to spend several hundred dollars for a rig to catch smallies that he can catch on a $50 setup he already has in his home.
    • Since centerpinning in the US is a small, small, small market share of the total US recreational fishing industry there are no readily available under $100 centerpin rigs.  The numbers just are not there for it to be worth the large manufactures attention.
    • Cottage industries are expensive by nature.  Many of the real nice centerpin reels are made by fisherman that also happen to be a machinist.  Some are built 20 at a time.  That is just plain expensive no matter what way you look at it.
    • Also being a cottage industry, information isn't readily available.  With the internet things are much easier then when I started float fishing.  However, for most people they need to run into a centerpinner to even find out that it actually exists.  Then they have to have the interest to go get the needed information.  Centerpinning doesn't just hit the average Joe in the forehead at Wally world.  With that said I think you will find that centerpinning like all things new will be first tried by those people that like to try new things and learn new techniques.  I think that those may be the buys being labeled Gear Pigs...

I can go on and on but that's enough hot air for now.  I've been float fishing since the mid 80's so does that qualify me as sticking with it.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 12:33:05 (permalink)
    Scott,

What happens I think, is folks see someone slammering the fish with a pin, and think wow that's the ticket. It is expensive, but the gear pigs ( guy who devote most if not all of their disposable income on fishing gear ), will rush out and buy one. I just think alot of them will do so, not recognizing that it is the technique, and overall fishing skills of the angler that brought him the success they witnessed. Not JUST the outfit. Some folks WILL put out the effort to develope those skills. But many more will get frustrated when they don't get the same results. Thus I think its popularity will fall ( not as far ), but just as quickly as it rises. And alot of center pins will be collecting dust, ( a true gear pig never sells anything, he just puts it away till later ). 

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    CR500
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 13:23:51 (permalink)
    Spoon,

I apologize in advance for sliding on and off topic here but it all fits into the same view to me.

I don't know about that?  Look on any NY trib today and centerpins can even be the dominant technique being used on any given day.  Now I have to admit that the water's where centerpinners outnumber fly or spin guys and sometimes fly and spin guys together are rivers where spinning rods and more so fly rods are at a disadvantage.  I can think of rivers that have a bottom makeup that make spinning rods and bottom bouncing almost no fun due to snags even when using minimal weight.  I can also think of rivers with a shear water volume or size that makes fly fishing almost impossible and spey fishing the preferred line casting the offering type of fishing more realistic.  A centerpin can fish all of that with ease and be more effective.

Erie steelhead tribs present a different problem.  They are skinny and crowded.  A centerpinner and a fly guy just can't fish the same drift and have both be happy.  They are vastly different techniques and both will interferer with the other if each of the anglers are fishing their rig properly.  Keep in mind, as you know, I've been a fly guy all of my life.  Spey guys can fish PA Erie tribs but I'll bet single hand fly guys would have a problem with them too if the Spey guy let out an effective 60' cast and worked a streamer in a downstream presentation.

Will Erie steelhead waters ever become the premier destination of centerpinners and spey guys?  Probably not.  The crowds are too big and the water is too small.  But I'll make an interesting argument to many of the pure fly guys in Erie...  You are float fishing, not fly fishing anyway...  Vertical fishing an indicator and egg pattern/nymph???  That's float fishing with a fly rod isn't it?  Whoo that question won't make me many friends eh?  Keep in mind that I'll fish a fly rod and bait and not feel bad about it.

I understand your gear pig argument but I tend to think of it in a different way.  In all pursuits in life there will be people that look at someone that is skilled and try to duplicate the results by buying their way to that skill level.  When I show up at a dirt bike race I look at all of the guys I know and don't know.  Then I look at the bikes of the guys I don't know.  If their bike looks like it has every aftermarket gadget known to man and the bike is prettier then new I don't worry about them.  If I see a guy that has a bike that looks like it was rode hard and has been beat on yet it still looks well maintained I keep an eye on that guy because I'm pretty sure he and I may be playing hard together late in the race while the pretty boy is somewhere behind us.

An interesting analogy would be...  A wealthy guy hires a famous horse trainer.  He has the famous horse trainer recommend a colt to purchase that he thinks can become the next Kentucky Derby winner.  The horse trainer and daily working jockey train the colt into a promising racing prospect.  The horse wins the Kentucky Derby and the world praises the horse owner that never even shed a bead of sweat to make the horse a winner.  I'd prefer to be the working jockey or horse trainer in that scenario.  He/she worked with that horse every day and knows the hard days from the easy.  That doesn't make that roll the most important, it just makes it the roll that makes me feel good about getting up in the morning.  
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 13:38:44 (permalink)
    Scott,

I too would rather bake the cake than light the candles. But I think today, most folks would prefer the latter.

Actually, I'd rather EAT the cake. I am a semi- gear pig, and an all out pig, pig. 

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 14:00:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Scott,

I too would rather bake the cake than light the candles. But I think today, most folks would prefer the latter.

Actually, I'd rather EAT the cake. I am a semi- gear pig, and an all out pig, pig. 

You can say that again  You should have seen the Wings Quiver Saturday every time Spoonie walked by the table 

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 14:13:09 (permalink)
    Hey,

I've only caused a buffet to close early once.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    CR500
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 14:18:28 (permalink)
    Oh Man, do I wish I could eat wings like I was 20 again...

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 14:28:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CR500

But I'll make an interesting argument to many of the pure fly guys in Erie...  You are float fishing, not fly fishing anyway...  Vertical fishing an indicator and egg pattern/nymph???  That's float fishing with a fly rod isn't it?  Whoo that question won't make me many friends eh? 

I am one, and yes you're right.

Indicator & egg/nymphing vertically is the same idea.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 14:43:24 (permalink)
    Yup, but hot diggity it can be fun.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    CR500
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 14:53:22 (permalink)
    Hey "D" Man,

I hope that didn't hurt much...  He11, I nymph with a floating line to make watching for a strike easier.  It also makes for an easier drift to certain depths.  I have a buddy that thinks anything tied with artificial materials isn't a fly.  He hates when I say that dry fly fishing isn't fly fishing only wet flies with the classics.  You should see him whine when I pull out a centerpin on the Delaware or toss a streamer tied with all artificial materials.  I just like winding him up.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 15:38:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CR500

Hey "D" Man,

I hope that didn't hurt much... 

Heck no, I hold no illusions.

He11, I nymph with a floating line to make watching for a strike easier.  It also makes for an easier drift to certain depths.  I have a buddy that thinks anything tied with artificial materials isn't a fly.  He hates when I say that dry fly fishing isn't fly fishing only wet flies with the classics. 

I'm all about maximizing effectiveness while on the water.  That said, alot of the time a fly rod isn't even close to being the most effective way to catch trout/steel.  But there are plenty of times when, for me at least, it is.  And I'm no purist, that's for sure.

I've often wondered about a pin on the big deep brawling type rivers like the Yough.  And I bet it would pound smallies on the Clarion.  I've never cast one.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 21:18:07 (permalink)
    I guess I am one of the gear pigs, but I like fishing different types of equipment.  In the course of a steelhead season I will fish spinning gear, fly gear, spey gear and centerpin gear.  I am not really all that great with any of these, but have fun with them.  Typically I use the centerpin gear on the lower sections of the creeks or in the sections where there are good long drifts.  This is also where I like to use the spey rod.  The spinning gear is for the crowded areas where the drifts are short.  Pretty much this is also where I use my standard fly rod.  For the small waters of the upper sections of Elk and Walnut, the fly rod is what I will be using.  The bottomline is I like variety and learning different types of fishing techniques and gear.  One day, I hope to master one or more of the them...

pax vobiscum +
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Future of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/03 21:30:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Bug you just gave me an excuse to build a new Rod  I'm doing the Clarion for a week in June 

Now if only my wife read these thing hhhhmmmmmmmm    Maybe if I leave this window open hhhhhmmmmmmmm

Sorry I guess I'm thinking out loud again

LOL

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/04 16:59:35 (permalink)
    skip you can build me a bamboo rod if I ever have enough money to buy one, lol
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/04 17:00:29 (permalink)
    No Boo Here pal   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/04 17:11:39 (permalink)
    You are welcome Skip.  Always ready to lead a helping hand to a fellow angler.  Of course, my philosophy is a man can never have too many fishing rods, reels, guns, bows or knives....    You need to take that statement from a man who is not married or has kids....  Remember the difference between the men and the boys is the price of their toys...

pax vobiscum +
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/07 07:31:51 (permalink)
    There great for big water.  Pretty tough to fish weightless presentations with them though, sure I guess you could load the float up with weight and then let the leader hang free, but I'm not that anal.    There is no need for a centerpin in Pennyslvania waters (I'm not counting conneaut) ,  there's enough fish, that if you need to drift more than 20 feet of water at a time, then you're doing something else wrong to begin with.
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/07 12:27:32 (permalink)
    "Will Erie steelhead waters ever become the premier destination of centerpinners and spey guys?  Probably not.  The crowds are too big and the water is too small.  But I'll make an interesting argument to many of the pure fly guys in Erie...  You are float fishing, not fly fishing anyway...  Vertical fishing an indicator and egg pattern/nymph???  That's float fishing with a fly rod isn't it?  Whoo that question won't make me many friends eh?  Keep in mind that I'll fish a fly rod and bait and not feel bad about it"

Cr, you the man !!!

If you have an indicator attached to your fly line, your not fly fishing.

call it what you want, but that's not how the art was created.
    racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/07 14:03:51 (permalink)
    Stillhead,know you are from down my way have you ever took your pin to the Beaver at the chute?Looks like the perfect place for a jig and minny below a float!Might get some strange stares but think I'm gonna ride over there in a week or when the water comes down and warms up.Ray

la Fish Hog
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/07 23:48:27 (permalink)
    I've never tried it there, I'm sure it would work great.  Might need to give it a good cleaning after polluting it down there though, lol. 
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/10 13:08:18 (permalink)
    Racin Ray,

I'd bet that a pin would kill fish in all those seams below the back channel dam on the Ohio too.
    tarponnutt
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/12 15:35:04 (permalink)
    Just a clarification for you. There are many ways to catch fish in the tribs., I'm not knocking any method but I caught nearly all of my 20 odd steelhead last week swinging wet flies.(Which is actually the original way to fly fish for trout, dry flies were developed later).
    If that isn't fly fishing nothing is. Using a small indicator that does not suspend the fly is defintiely fly-fishing. It's just a tool to help to detect subtle strikes.Good fishing.

racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/26 17:43:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: quietman

Sorry fella's, I just don't see a big difference between pinning and opening up the bail on your spinning rod. The set-up can be fished off of a spinning rod very effectively. I see it as different, but not revolutionary. To be fair, I have handled one but not really fished with one. However, I have talked to guys who use them, and while they won't agree, they won't disagree either. I get this, "well each has it's place" sort of answer.
    LOL,I thought the same thing..Things changed after I started to figure it out 3 years back fishing in the winter with Critter (who can put anyone to shame with a spinning outfit)finally admitted he may have to move over to the dark side.!!!I was new to it and to pound fish after fish on that trip and many after that convinced me,Absolutely more control with longer drifts,controlling the way the hook is presented to the fish..Pa waters some works great but bigger waters no competition.Something about fighting a fish one on one almost like hand to hand combat..Shhhhhh ......Don't let the secret out of the bag though!!!!.Ray

la Fish Hog
    Roy D. Mercer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: The Furture of Fishin / Pinnin ? 2007/04/27 13:07:59 (permalink)
    Fished this way with spin setup for a long time, and until I started fishing with 18andlife refused to see the advantage, but after witnessing the line control he was achieving and effectivness running seams/lengthy drifts, I changed my way of thinking. By no means am I slouch when it comes to floating with a spin rod, but as stated above, each method has it's place. I will go a step further and suggest that if given the choice of which to fish with, I'll take the pin every time granted there aren't 15 people standing besides me and a steady 35 knot wind.  
    Jump to: