Heritage Lakers

Author
Neversink Jimmy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/02 20:46:33 (permalink)

Heritage Lakers

I've promised myself that I will get a few new tip-ups before the hardwater season kicks off in December.  My old 'hand me downs' have surely caught some fish- but I think it is time to step up from the 1940s duct-tape-repaired traps I have now and get some big boys.

Heritage Lakers really seem like the way to go.  A big ol' flag 45" above the ice is a heckuva' lot easier to see than the shorties I am using now.

I plan on getting three (3) tall tip ups to go with the laydown 'planer board' style rigs I have fallen in love with (I love watching that little indicator spin around when a pike runs with a bait).

Trouble is, it looks like no one has 'em!  Even online! 

FishUSA and Kittery Trading Post sell them, but both are out of stock for the foreseeable future.

My second choice is the 'Big Green' traps that HookLikeSinker uses.  They hit around 36" when triggered, but I can find them either!  I think they are made by 40-Up, but I am not positive.

Anyone have any advice on where to score myself some Heritage Lakers?

13 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/02 21:09:23 (permalink)
    Looks like LLbean has them Jimmy.
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/03 07:48:22 (permalink)
    Jimmy:

Daves Bait & Tackle in Mayfield, NY always has Heritage Lakers.  They are at:
    247 Bunker Hill Road, Mayfield NY (518) 863-8318.  Really nice people, so give them a call.

Eagle Ed
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/03 09:10:48 (permalink)
    Jimmy............pick up a gas auger as well..........my shoulder / arm is still shot from last January

I won't be able to drill holes with a manual auger......i can tell already.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/03 10:07:30 (permalink)
    Ed- you're awesome, thanks for the 'tip' on the 'tip ups'...  I'd rather get the gear from a hoemtown tackle dude if I can't get them from the supplier firsthand.  I will get in touch with Dave and maybe I can shoot up to Sacandaga one weekend for some new ice gear and a shot at some pike or bass (in Peck's Lake- I am not so fond of the GSL fishery I guess).

Brian-  Thanks for the LL Bean info.  Looks like they want 30 bucks a crack at 'em though, and most prices I saw were closer to 20.  But in a pinch, I will kick a few bucks up to Maine...  Lord knows I've kept those folks in business for quite sometime.  The whole 'return for any reason' policy has been my bread and butter.

Ship-  I've got a business trip to Florida later in the Fall.  Maybe I can pick you up some M80's or some "Blockbusters" and they should take care of the hole-clearing for you.  It sure would be sweet to have a gas auger, but last season I ice-fished with this crew so often that I didn't need one!

But in case we get out again without the rest of the crew, my going rate is $7 per hole cut.  Five for $30.

Pretty good deal...  But once the ice hits 12"+, the prices scale up considerably!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/03 10:23:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

Ship-  I've got a business trip to Florida later in the Fall.  Maybe I can pick you up some M80's or some "Blockbusters" and they should take care of the hole-clearing for you.  It sure would be sweet to have a gas auger, but last season I ice-fished with this crew so often that I didn't need one!

But in case we get out again without the rest of the crew, my going rate is $7 per hole cut.  Five for $30.

One hole one tube!!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/03 11:38:47 (permalink)
    You drive a hard bargain, but I will get some new auger blades just to make it easier on myself.

I'd fish with you ANYDAY! 

We didn't exactly slay 'em every time we got out last winter, but it was always a lot of fun.  That final day on Lake George was great.  We only scored one pike (as I was picking up my gear) but hopping across the floating ice chunks at Vet's Park was an exciting way to wrap it up on The King.  Our last time out in March on the 'local waters' was probably the best action of the year.  I am going to be all over that place this winter!

September and October are my favorite fishing months (trout and pike up north turn back on), but I am already excited for the innaugural ice fishing trip to the ADKs...  Hopefully in December.

Last year Loon Lake got ice early, and maybe we'll hit that again.  Tuna and I also have a few 'aces up our sleeves' with a couple of additional pike/musky waters in the general vacinity too.  We were checking some out last week and found a few killer spots where shoreline fires are possible.  N-I-C-E!!!

90min drive, lots of peace and quiet.  We'll get the whole crew up there for a day, I hope!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/03 19:42:07 (permalink)
    Jimmy, you want Heritage Laker tip-ups and if Daves don't have them the I got up to 5 brand new never been used I'll sell you for what I paid: $ 14.00 each. I have been buying quite a few in the last 2 years and have 5 that I never use(d). Sometimes like on the dead sea I like to break out the 50 year old school tip-ups just to keep em' working... But the Lakers are good (there are better) for the big waters and you are welcome to have as many as you need.

Ice talk already.. Gas Auger ?? I think thanks to icefishinsteve we got that covered just remember the gators & ear plugs (LOL)
    Gonna be another great hardwater, I just feel it with the expanded Jimmy Gang...

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/04 07:13:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

Jimmy, you want Heritage Laker tip-ups and if Daves don't have them the I got up to 5 brand new never been used I'll sell you for what I paid: $ 14.00 each. I have been buying quite a few in the last 2 years and have 5 that I never use(d). Sometimes like on the dead sea I like to break out the 50 year old school tip-ups just to keep em' working... But the Lakers are good (there are better) for the big waters and you are welcome to have as many as you need.

Ice talk already.. Gas Auger ?? I think thanks to icefishinsteve we got that covered just remember the gators & ear plugs (LOL)
    Gonna be another great hardwater, I just feel it with the expanded Jimmy Gang...

Tuna.....if Jimmy doesn't want em i will take them...or i'll take whatever he doesn't take.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/04 14:01:14 (permalink)
    You're a good man, Tuna...  A good man indeed... 

Maybe we can work something out when we chase salmon in a few weeks!

Ship Of Fools:  "Vulture" is the word that comes to mind, but you kick arse anyway!

It just crossed my mind how different the "ice fishing approach" can be to open water fishing.  It seems to me that when we're on the ice, "The More The Merrier" since we can cover so much more water, and also get so many more baits down there to 'stir up some action'. 

Big groups on open water can be tough- but big groups on the ice is just plain FUN!!!!

CARPET BOMB 'EM, MEN!!!!  On some of our trips last year the lake looked like a minefield.  I loved it.
    got em
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/06 17:33:28 (permalink)
    a couple years ago I bought five from Conroy's...all spooled and ready to go..a little pricey but I NEEDED them..lol...hook up with Tuna he's a reputable guy,he won't stear ya wrong...good plug huh r.j.,too early to think about the hardwater ? nooo way,I check the shanty everyday...hope to make it out this year with some of you guys on here..tight lines...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/14 19:22:45 (permalink)
    The Lakers are spoken for and I'm sure will be in good hands. All we need is to color code them because I don't think he will be fishing in 3' of water any more (well maybe).
    Last year was very good but with some even more pin-points on the map I think this year will be AWESOME !!! Now if we could only get them salmon,browns,chrome,brookies and tender loins out of the way .. Bring on the ICE baby !!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/14 20:04:20 (permalink)
    No way man, I am never giving up on the "3ft of water roulette"...  Its the bomb!

I'm saving two wooden 'pinwheelers' just for that task, so I can tell whether I should be walking to shore to check the flag, or running my arse off.  I swear, I love those things.  I wish I could rig a 5ft flag on them.

Maybe I can?  Hmmmmm....  

The only time the 'ridiculously shallow' placement paid any dividends during last season was that the big 26" walleye came on the tip set in 2ft at night.  So I guess that is something, right? 

I think the real secret to the shallow water approach is when the waters hold Browns.

This one came from Otisco out in the Finger Lakes two years ago- literally two feet from a gravel shoreline.

I watched it hit the bait in the hole twice as I was staring down it.  I was pretty much hooked for life on ice fishing after that whole demonstration.  It wasn't a pig, but it sure was pretty as hell.  Trout through the ice-

Who wouldv'e thunk it?

post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2009/09/14 20:05:08

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    FishUSA_ProShop
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Heritage Lakers 2009/09/21 12:15:00 (permalink)
    Jump to: