New Bowstring/Bow tune-up

Author
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/01 14:53:08 (permalink)

New Bowstring/Bow tune-up

Hey guys, I bought a used Browning SL Eclipse bow from a friend, it needs a new string, as well as a tune up or whatever you call it to fit me.

I went to dicks today and no one was there, no one that knew what they were talking about anyways.

I was wondering where I could get this done, and how much money I'm looking at here. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I live in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. So really anywhere relatively close to me.

7 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: New Bowstring/Bow tune-up 2009/09/01 16:19:01 (permalink)
    I always take everything to Misczaks Archery in Creighton.  Joe Misczak, the owner, is a great guy and will do anything to make sure you leave 100% satisfied.  His prices are also pretty good as well.

It is on Crawford Run Road, just off exit13 on rt28. 

carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: New Bowstring/Bow tune-up 2009/09/01 19:16:13 (permalink)
    gander mt has a bow&gun pro on hand most day's.....
    a new string is not a big deal....dont know if they do tune up's???
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: New Bowstring/Bow tune-up 2009/09/01 21:46:53 (permalink)
    what is a bow tune up? I had the same string on my bow since 98,,and last year our local bow guru said it was still fine. Besides fraying what do you look for?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: New Bowstring/Bow tune-up 2009/09/01 22:40:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CATMAN610

what is a bow tune up? I had the same string on my bow since 98,,and last year our local bow guru said it was still fine. Besides fraying what do you look for?

Strings stretch, nocks move, kisser's move, rests can move/wear, bushings wear out, cams wobble, limb bolts can vibrate, ect.  You will not see much of this with the naked eye, which is where tuning comes into play.

Tuning essentially ensures you are achieving "true" arrow flight by adjusting the above criteria.  It will eliminate and "walk" or wobble in your arrow flight.  If you shoot a dual cam bow it will make sure your timing is right with your cams.

I usually have my local shop ensure my bow is tuned at least every other year.  We use the paper test, you shoot arrows through a sheet of paper.  If the arrow leaves any amount of a tear and does not make a perfectly clean hole, your bow needs to be tuned.  Your shop will be able to make sure your bow does this relatively easily.

I would never reccomend going that long without a new string either, usually 3 years is the max I will go on a string.  The string shouldn't be more than $75 or so depending on what you shoot.
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2009/09/01 22:41:48
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: New Bowstring/Bow tune-up 2009/09/02 05:53:06 (permalink)
    Deadbolt it may a bit of a drive but Shooter Showcase in Slippery Rock Is one of the best places to take a bow for turning or whatever you want them to do. I took my bow there and had them do a tune-up. Basically had  new knocks put on adjusted the timing a was out just a bit from wear. Check for ever thing else. Cost A whole 11.00 bucks and the bow pretty much shoots like new. The best way to get for you would 79 north to 422 to 19 north to 19 and 108 intersection  go straight on 19 N about a 1/4 mile make first right on Sylvania Rd and a couple hundred yards on the left .                          DO NOT GO TO BIG BUCKS IN WEXFORD  they have no clue!!!!!!!!!!!!! But they will assure they will help you and mess your bow all up  BTW  Hours: Mon Tues Thurs Fri-Noon-9 Pm,Sat-Noon-5pm,Closed Sun & Wed     YOU WILL WANT TO BE THERE FIRST they get very busy at all open hours    GOOD LUCK DAVE
    post edited by BIGHEAD - 2009/09/02 06:02:18

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: New Bowstring/Bow tune-up 2009/09/02 07:23:25 (permalink)
    there are actually timing marks on your bow. if your string stretches it can change the timing and 1 cam or wheel can fire faster than the other 1, throwing your arrow off and changing the breaking point when you are pulling your bow back. doesnt happen to often ,but if it does it can throw your bow out of wack. i had 1 that made alot of noise when firing. it would shoot strait , but just to much noise. 1 of the little bushings where bad in my cam, and it caused alot of racket.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: New Bowstring/Bow tune-up 2009/09/02 13:02:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: akitadog

there are actually timing marks on your bow. if your string stretches it can change the timing and 1 cam or wheel can fire faster than the other 1, throwing your arrow off and changing the breaking point when you are pulling your bow back. doesnt happen to often ,but if it does it can throw your bow out of wack. i had 1 that made alot of noise when firing. it would shoot strait , but just to much noise. 1 of the little bushings where bad in my cam, and it caused alot of racket.

Eww, I'll be sure to tell them to make sure that isin't happening. Thanks Big, Esox and Carpin. I have tommorrow off, so I'm putting in stands, and then I'm going to head to Gander. Apparently they always have a bow pro in so. I'd like to help out a little guy, but at this point, I need to get this bow in shooting order by next week, need to start shooting some groups.

Jump to: