Pupa/Larva Bodies

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/31 08:17:09 (permalink)

Pupa/Larva Bodies

Don't know if you've ever tried this method of tying Caddis bodies or not but here's a perhaps different "twist" on it. You will need a dubbing twister to do it though. It does tend to use more antron yarn than normal. You can also use this on other material as well to create more flash. Perhaps you've tried this before but I know there's some guys on here that are just starting out tying flies so I thought I'd pass this little tip along. Hope it helps.

1. Using antron yarn cut a loop and tie in the ends. You will need to separate the yarn into thinner strands.

2. Attach dubbing twister, and insert your hares ear dubbing.

3. Spin the twister to make a tight even strand of antron.

4. Wrap this forward evenly.

5. Create the head and finish off. Here's the fly when wet.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

4 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Pupa/Larva Bodies 2009/08/31 09:09:48 (permalink)
    Very nice, steely! I'll have to try that. Have you experimented with any other types of loop material and dubbing? I bet a dark olive antron base with the cream rabbit dubbing (with a little bit of sparkle) would be killer.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Pupa/Larva Bodies 2009/08/31 09:24:19 (permalink)
    Thanks Cold - this is just a different approach to creating bodies. Yes this works on alot of different materials. Your right about your choices - that does create a real nice body. The nice thing about twisting is that the body is alot more durable and translucent. 

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Pupa/Larva Bodies 2009/08/31 09:36:22 (permalink)
    Yeah, its a very durable way to add some flash and transluscency (is that a word?) to a Serendipity.
    BASS MUNCH
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Pupa/Larva Bodies 2009/08/31 19:06:59 (permalink)
    Hey Steely,
    Very nice tip! I am a fairly new fly tyer and happy to hear about all the little tricks you vetrans have to offer. It really does help us new guys whether you think so or not. I've picked up on alot of cool stuff! So thank you to you, Cold, and everyone else!
    Keep that Dubbing roll'n,

Bass
    Jump to: