moon phase

Author
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/26 10:02:50 (permalink)

moon phase

I was just doing some preparation for days off.... I was trying to figure the OH, PA, and WV archery, and small game seasons in with the Lunar Calendar.  Looks like the full moon will be out Nov. 2nd and the new moon will be Nov. 16th.

So the questions are.... What phase do you like to hunt?  How do you like to hunt it? (i.e., morning during full moon, etc.) What have you done in the past, and did it work or seem to make any difference?

10 Replies Related Threads

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: moon phase 2009/08/26 21:30:14 (permalink)
    I like to hunt whenever I can. There are so many distractions from hunting- family commitments, work, maintenance of the home, etc. I dont need another reason to NOT go hunting. I'm not convinced that the phase of the moon even matters much.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: moon phase 2009/08/27 18:44:42 (permalink)
    I hunt when I can.

Of of the 3 places I really target in Archery, the easiest one to get to, is small, So the deer are there. I do believe in Moon phases effecting wildlife, (IE Werewolves and whatnot) But I don't think it has that big of an effect we're made to believe.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: moon phase 2009/08/27 19:18:50 (permalink)
    I think if you start a log of what you see, where and at what time, and the moon phase at the time you will change your mind. Storm fronts and cold or hot days will change things some but everything being even you will see more game per hour out if you follow the tables.
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: moon phase 2009/08/28 08:15:07 (permalink)
    full moon makes tough hunting, they move mostly after dark unless you have storm fronts like s=10 says, darker the moon, better the hunting, especially in mild weather..deer move before and after fronts, hunted wyoming for whitetails many years, and when our hunt landed on full moons, and no major fronts, hunting was tough, even though there were hundreds of deer on the ranch..best hunting there we ever had was when we had bad weather conditions..even in rut, full moon hunting  was not as good..
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: moon phase 2009/08/28 09:38:35 (permalink)
    I personally have always had better hunting on new moon then full, however, I also like to hunt the fronts.  I was just interested in seeing how much weight yinz guys put into the moon.  Doing my scheduling this soon in advance, I only have the moon to work with.  Personally, I like to hunt evenings before a cold front gets here, and mornings the day it blows in, on a waning moon or a new moon. 

Once the rut is in hard though, I don't think much can happen to shut it down.  Last year it was hot as hell and they were still fighting before daylight, and they were chasing after daylight.

I'm going to start keeping an outdoor log.  Fishing, hunting, bug hatches, moon phases, and weater patterns.  See if I can crack the code by the time I'm 75.

and thanks for the responses guys, I thought for a while that no one was interested!
    npsinboro
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: moon phase 2009/08/28 09:44:58 (permalink)

and thanks for the responses guys, I thought for a while that no one was interested!

Very interested tippe! I'm relatively young and have lots to learn about hunting and appreciate the insight on posts like these.

Last year F&S had an article on the 'best days to hunt' that focused on things like the moon... my dad and I were out on some of their 'must days' and didn't notice much difference than a usual day :-)
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: moon phase 2009/08/28 10:17:53 (permalink)
    I have a good buddy who puts a lot of focus on what the moon is doing. He fishes a lot for musky, and is very successful at it, and takes his share of good bucks with the bow. Of course, like most of us, he'll hunt or fish whenever he can, but he swears that the absolute best time to hunt or fish is when the moon is down or rising. Even better when the down or rising moon is waning from full to new and it coincides with a front moving in or after a front has moved through and high pressure is building back in.

Personally, I've never really given it a thought, nor have I ever kept any records. Just sharing what a pretty successful musky fisherman and deer hunter has shared with me.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: moon phase 2009/08/29 09:05:03 (permalink)
    Hey tippe just watch an episode on versus today about the moon phases.It was a good episode not sure if you can see it again on there website or not.They said hunt hard from nov.2 to nov. 14 in the north.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: moon phase 2009/08/30 13:33:17 (permalink)
    The best moon phase data I have is based around the daily lunar angle and moon phase. Basically as the theory goes there are 2 major & 2 minor periods of highest activity during every day. All four of these periods are seperated by 6 hours and occur when the moon is directly over head, directly underneath(the two majors), and one when it is on each horizon (these are the minors). As you approach Full & new moon periods major & minor periods become more likely to see increased activity. For hunting, when these times fall within an hour or so of sunrise or sunset, LOOK OUT, good night to be afield. Joe Bucher a professional musky fisherman has sworn by this method for years. I actually charted deer activity one year and found 70-80 % was within these time periods. It all sounds very complicated, but it isn't. Casio sells a watch (actually 2, one for fishing called the fishin time and one for hunting called hunting time{both deliver the same data}) that gives you the times for each day and any day in the future you would like to know. They are about 40.00 depending on where you get them.

I highly reccomend this watch to hunters & fishermen. I have bought them as christmas gifts for people who have made fun of me for even talking about it, only to have them come back a year or so later amazed at how accurate they actually are.

All this said, I hunt & fish anytime I can regardless of moon time, but I definitely see more deer during these periods than any other time and always be sure to try and be afield for the really good times.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: moon phase 2009/08/31 11:34:03 (permalink)
    if you have verizon - download - fishing My-Cast by garmin, gives weather data including barometric pressure which is more consistant than any moon data ever will be. it also has a game/fish chart for times.

Jump to: