Matty's Pupa

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/21 16:49:14 (permalink)

Matty's Pupa

I know there's lots of different caddis pupa patterns out there with so many variations it's hard to decide which one works the best. Something I've always done (and it seems to work) is to try and mimick the translucency in the fly by trying different materials. I check this by dipping them in water to see which ones seem to look the best. Over the past few years I've been fishing this imitation I call Matty's Pupa (named after my son who caught his first steelhead on Elk Creek with it). It uses small glass or plastic beads which can be purchased at the local craft store, then palmering a dubbed loop through the beads instead of using an all bead body like some of the patterns. Kind of segments the body better I think. Here's a tutoral on it. Works for us both for trout and steelhead.

1. Using a typical pupa hook, slide three beads on the hook and seperate them by tying thread in front and in back of the beads.

2. Tie in at the hook bend one strand of crystal flash, and a short section of scud back material.

3. Spin a dubbing loop of hares ear dubbing the color of your choice.

4. Palmer this dubbing loop through the beads one time and tie off.

5. Pull forward the scud back material, wrap through the beads with the crystal flash and create a head with peacock herl (black). Whip finish.

Heres what it looks like in water. Kind of looks lie a combination of trapped air bubbles and the pupa's guts showing through.

post edited by steely34 - 2009/08/21 17:18:02

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

3 Replies Related Threads

jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Matty's Pupa 2009/08/21 17:24:41 (permalink)
    very nice.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Matty's Pupa 2009/08/23 11:00:15 (permalink)
    nice fly great ideas thanx for the lesson.ff46

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Matty's Pupa 2009/08/23 11:21:04 (permalink)
    No problem buddy - Glad to give out my ideas and thoughts.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Jump to: