Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/17 20:19:52 (permalink)

JJII Did We Ever ?

figure out the sat tourney ?
for those new to the event, Last year we had $10.00 tourney for heaviest single fish. Yea that means you"ll have to swing a whopping $10.00 to the event . It was freakin awesome , some real cool ppl just kicked in and fished for pannies all day, some folks hung out on the shore and watched it all go down, some tried like heck and got skunked and one lucky guy drove away with a fat $100.00. To me it was great !!!
So that was then , This is now...

I still think the $10.00 should be... My thoughts are still a Hunt for big fish should winner take all. It just makes the weigh and release so much easier. It may be a Walleye, Bass , Carp and who knows in this weather a Monster Perch or Crappie...

I think friday eve will be a panfish fest so why not go heavy on Sat ?

Thoughts ????
post edited by hot tuna - 2009/08/17 20:22:11

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

19 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/17 20:57:17 (permalink)
    I really enjoyed it too  ... a $10 bill is the right amount IMO. Heaviest single would be fine, an eye could easily take it ... and of course a carp could.
    I will say those 2 are more stingy than bass though. If somebody catches a 3lb crappie i would just give him my $10 anyway !!! LOL

I also like a total weight idea for a "multi species" category (maybe a bass,eye,crappie) combo. Without getting to complicated that is.

This group of anglers should be able to find the biggest of each species in the lake, we have a lot of experienced guys going to be there.

BB
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/17 21:58:43 (permalink)
    Hey I am up for anything and a ten spots cool with me. countin the days, Hey Tuna! how bout turnin the thermostat down a notch or to for that weekend? 

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/17 22:18:31 (permalink)
    Hey Tuna! how bout turnin the thermostat down a notch or to for that weekend?

Good point Jigs , if it's 90's during JJII i'll be hanging in the shade most of the day drinking .... i can't do a lot of extreme heat.
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/17 22:20:53 (permalink)
    Bassibrian's  post - does not count he won last year ....  

mid 90's this will keep ya confined to the beer tent .....
    post edited by REEL FORCE - 2009/08/17 22:22:15
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/18 22:28:14 (permalink)
    LOL RF, Hey if its to hot during the day, maybe a night tournament if it wouldnt upset the locals.  

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/18 23:42:35 (permalink)
    I'M WINNING THIS YEAR!!!! That 16" PERCH is waiting for ME!!!! I got she in a big fish trap by Jimmy's house!!!   A 10 spot is good with me!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/18 23:59:06 (permalink)
    I'm in for the 10 spot.     I got me a big ol griddle for making breakfast... is that breakfast gonna be saturday am or sunday am ya think?  I can only stay over one night, not sure which would be better.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/19 00:01:53 (permalink)
    Dude if you get a 16" perch this weekend I'll eat your bait trap
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/19 09:29:50 (permalink)
    It sounds like my buddy Matty is going to be kind enough to let us use his big ol' "Cupid Too" Starcraft cabin cruiser for a 'weigh station'...  So that solves the boat deal.

My thoughts were to judge by length this year.  I've got a measuring board at the house that makes thigs really easy and it should require no more thought or complications than lat year.

We will have our usual 'official meeting' around 7:30am in the yard to ensure everyone has my phone number and knows the rules (or lack thereof), and we can kick off the event at 8am sharp. 

Here is my thought- chime in and we can iron it out.  Remember, it has to be simple or it just won't work with sunshine and cold beer   I will make sure everyone gets a fish list and rules at the tourney. 

I have an office job.

We can go with cumulative length of the eight (8) core gamefish species.  The BIGGEST of each species you catch is what counts.  One walleye, one crappie, etc. 

1. Walleye
    2. Smallmouth Bass
    3. Largemouth Bass
    4. Yellow Perch
    5. Crappie (both black and white)
    6. Sunfish (Bluegill, Red Ears, etc.)
    7. Brown Bullhead
    8. Carp

Since we were weighing all 'good' fish on the water last year, this shouldn't require any more driving or calling, etc. The panfish and walleye species will most likely be KEPT for food, so they can be measured by the 'official' (me) when you bring them in for lunch or for the post-tourney ceremonies at 6pm or whatever.

The bigger releasable species (bass, carp) can still be measured on the water.  You guys just call me up (Matt and I will be fishing midlake most of the day in the weigh boat) and I scoot over and measure up your catch and add it to the tally sheet.  Like last year, I should be able to give you updares on current status, etc. if you need it.  If you measure one fish, but then catch a bigger one, the BIGGEST fish is what counts towards overall length.

You can measure in fish all day, but they've got to be bigger than the one before.  Seems easy?

With a system like this we don't add any complication.  Last year was an "Ode To Lunkerville" but this summer can be more of a "King Of Snyders" kind of thing.  It would be interesting to see someone pull up ALL species!

But to be honest, I don't see it happening.  But then again, magic does happen at Jimmy Jam!

Seems like a fair and even way for everyone to utlizie their own favorite type of fishing and then branch out and chase some not-so-normal species too.  Think about it, a crappie, perch and bluegill would measure longer than one nice bass!  But without a nice bass in your catch, you wouldn't have a chance!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/19 10:32:43 (permalink)
    Remember, it has to be simple

Ditto !!

Think about it, a crappie, perch and bluegill would measure longer than one nice bass!  But without a nice bass in your catch, you wouldn't have a chance  

Ok Dr. Suess - LOL !!

I like it ... that's a lot of species
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/19 18:29:31 (permalink)
    Just to put it in simple for me terms:
    Longest length of only 1 fish of each species listed gets added to the tally board. Total combined weight for the day (end of tourney) wins the pot of gold. Anything else gets added to the deep frier . That is pannies & eyes .

sounds GREAT to me ...

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/19 21:24:07 (permalink)
    Sounds like a winner to me. 

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/19 21:28:46 (permalink)
    How do us first timers know which area, meeting place or launch to show up at?

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/19 21:44:22 (permalink)
    I'll shoot you directions and an address later this week, Jigs...  As well as the rest of the new guys...

My place is easy to find, etc. and I have a launch right at my house...  Plan on arriving anytime after 5pm on Friday and we'll get everyone launched and set up for the weekend...  Lookin' forward to seeing ya'!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/20 07:16:13 (permalink)
    How do us first timers know which area, meeting place or launch to show up at?

It's awesome Jigs , it's Jimmy's front yard. You won't have to worry about driving anywhere at all once your there !!
    If people have "few to many" on the water ... just head towards the music and fire LOL.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/20 20:00:10 (permalink)
    Yes sir good time. What about Bill? weather man BB? A nice cool down to the 70's would be perfect !!! As you said, I look at weather.. 2 days before then 1 and plan accordingly... (well except for moonsoon gooseneck . It will be great !!

8 TO GO !!!

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/20 21:16:30 (permalink)
    Cool Jimmy, thx. Lol Brian, maybe tie a line to every ones boat so we can pull em back in if the get a little too loopsy.

got em
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/20 23:35:49 (permalink)
    easy TUNA easy..,
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: JJII Did We Ever ? 2009/08/20 23:37:16 (permalink)
        I'm READY To

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Jump to: