SOME suggestions please

Author
apple
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/10 17:27:35 (permalink)

SOME suggestions please

hello everyone i am new to the forums but have a question..could anyone suggest a nice lake(s) for carp,bass,pike,trout etc located not too far from the city? i live in Brooklyn and always go fishing in upstate new york Monticello area...wall kill river...but i want to go to a new lake could someone suggest a lake,river???
thanks all

9 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: SOME suggestions please 2009/08/10 20:25:58 (permalink)
    apple, first welcome to the forum.
    whish I could offer help but to most of us here upstate NY is the Adirondacks. You asked for basically anything that swims which is an easy answer, buy a gazetter or look on the DEC website and get in the car and go. Really that simple. Hope this helps

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: SOME suggestions please 2009/08/10 20:45:46 (permalink)
    greetings apple, have you tried swingingbridge res ..or white ? both near monticello or along the delaware river? ..or try harriman state parks many ponds along seven lakes drive? Half the fun is the adventure finding a new place to fish. gl

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: SOME suggestions please 2009/08/10 21:40:44 (permalink)
    Also lots of downstate DEP watersheds (need a permit though) very easy online process.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: SOME suggestions please 2009/08/10 21:42:32 (permalink)
    Hey man...

I lived in Claryville for two years (25mi north of Liberty) and had a struggle trying to find good BOATING water within a reasonable drive. Sure, plenty of trout streams, and the reservoirs close by were cool for shore fishing or using  rowboats on the Neversink or Rondout. 

But midsummer I wanted to rip around and chase bass at 30 mph or at least have a breeze on my bald head in August. 

If you have a boat and can get out midweek, White Lake really isn't that bad.  It's really close to Monticello (as is Swinging Bridge, as mentioned, if you want bigger water) But steer FAR, FAR away from there on weekends, it is the craziest place I have ever seen.  I used to hear a lot of bashing of the White Lake fishery, but I actually tended to do pretty well there.  I found some nice browns and plenty of N-I-C-E smallies.

Mountain Bait and Tackle in Liberty is a cool little shop and the guy is wicked helpful.  I always liked to swing in and buy a Crocodile to two and hear the latest updates.  They've got bait too. 

Don't believe what you read about that lake- the fishing is worthwhile, you just need to work around days of heavy boat traffic on a very small lake.  And the rental boats?  Don't get me started...  They are nuts.

All of these fish below came out of White Lake in 2007, the last summer I lived down there.  The lake is really split in two, but the southern side is best, in my opinion.  Evening trolling with conehead streamers was my favorite.

Real slow and as deep as you can get 'em for browns and smallies:

post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2009/08/10 21:47:52

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: SOME suggestions please 2009/08/10 22:30:59 (permalink)
    nice pics jimmy, yes white lk. has decent fishing, i tried many years ago a few times from a motor boat..we trolled up decent fish too. During summertime (peak season motorboats infest both those lks. you are right about the crowds and bs tight parking at that white lk public ramp. It is true that region has few options for cooling baldheads, i know that all too well pretty much why i never bothered registering boat. I much prefer more solitude in a city res for a shot at trophy class fish. As for swingingbridge , probably betteroff during the off season as well,I heard the eyes are doing okay in SB but i don't visit either of those lks during summertime.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    apple
    New Angler
    RE: SOME suggestions please 2009/08/10 22:52:19 (permalink)
    wow i want to catch those i have been fishing for carp for a few years now actually just came back from that camping grounds park on 17k didn't catch anything but sunnies ehh....unfortunately i don't have a boat also i was driving on bear mt and drove by harriman park thought about fishing there but i dont know anything about there....hmm doesnt white lake rent boats?  also i hear swinging bridge has some crazy carp can anyone confirm that and also how do i get there?
    apple
    New Angler
    RE: SOME suggestions please 2009/08/10 23:07:52 (permalink)
    i just went to the DEC website HOLY S@#$ i found all i need lol they have so many lakes 
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: SOME suggestions please 2009/08/10 23:21:34 (permalink)
    Make sure to hit the intro post , you can tell us about yourself and read a lot about us other active members  

Good luck !

BB

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: SOME suggestions please 2009/08/11 09:52:40 (permalink)
    Apple:

Just a couple suggestions:  Try Kensico Reservoir under the bridge on Route 22 outside of Valhalla for lakers once you get your DEC permit.  Also, Congers Lake in Valley Cottage is great for bass if it has not become weed infested.  When I lived in Valley Cottage we use to catch some nice largemouths on Jitterbugs from 10-12 midnight on Congers Lake or use the same from 5-7am especially in this hot weather.

Eagle Ed
    Jump to: