new rod/reel

Author
carpcatcher
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/10 14:29:50 (permalink)

new rod/reel

I'm thinking of trying out the pinnin stuff this season and was wondering if the Okuma combo's are a decent starter set up? I've never tried it before and don't want to invest mega bucks right off the bat. I love float fishing with my spinning equipment and just thinking of giving it a try. Thanks in advance for the insight

9 Replies Related Threads

Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: new rod/reel 2009/08/10 16:46:59 (permalink)
    I haven't taken the pin plunge yet, either...but I am fascinated by the concept and the art of it...I am one of those noodle rod float fishing guys that uses a spining reel with my floats and no shot line for erie trib steelhead. Kind of a bastardized way of doing the same thing but less effectively I'm sure. I do however own an Okuma noodle rod and some Okuma reels, and they are all of great quality for the buck. Most of the pinners I've talked to speak highly of their Okumas and they have some great affordable combos to get you started without investing a small fortune. JM2C
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: new rod/reel 2009/08/10 20:34:30 (permalink)
    I would say thumbs down on the aventa and thumbs up on sheffield, but have read some bad reviews on the combo (the rod aspect)...  I have a sheffield and have no problems whatsoever with it, except running over my first one with the vehicle.  Always keep your protective case on it when you sit it down, they get dirty, and can be a pain to deal with while on the water or streamside

flyandfloatfishing.net > skip casting off the side of the reel and go straight to the wallis style.  I did this and am glad I did. You'll avoid line twist which is inevitable when starting out.

also google center pin fishing and visit some other forums, they talk about pinning religiously

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    Ron Gleason
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: new rod/reel 2009/08/11 08:03:29 (permalink)
    The Okuma centerpin reel is ok at best, their rods always lack something. Good blanks just never set up right. The best set up for your money is Raven. The Raven SST3, their top of the line reel sells for $280.00 and you will have it for years. It is also the lightest centerpin reel on the market. The Okumas will not last as long as the Ravens. Match the SST3 reel with a Raven IM6 rod and you have a set up that will last with great performance.

What ever you do, do not buy a centerpin reel with a drag!
    carpcatcher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: new rod/reel 2009/08/11 11:53:44 (permalink)
    If I don't get a reel with a drag do I just palm the reel for tension? I'm gonna claim that the only dumb question is one that's not asked
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: new rod/reel 2009/08/11 12:55:07 (permalink)
    Yes you palm the rim of the reel. I'm not sure what reel your looking at but i have a one year old okuma sheffield in the gold color that i was going to put on ebay. If you live anywhere near somerset county you can see it if you wish. Any interest send me a p.m. or make an offer.
    jimh
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: new rod/reel 2009/08/11 15:48:56 (permalink)
    Hi Carpcatcher,

Don't know what your budget is but I just happen to have a JW Young & Sons Purist II reel and a G Loomis 13' 2 piece rod that's just sitting around collecting dust. Both items only used a couple of times so they're in great shape.

Not willing to give them away but not really motivated to keep them either.

Kind Regards, Jim
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: new rod/reel 2009/08/11 18:41:28 (permalink)
    jimh,

are you the real jim halupka?????
    if so, can you buy me a 6er of pounders from the stumble inn??
    Ron Gleason
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: new rod/reel 2009/08/11 19:47:49 (permalink)
    By holding the rod just above the reel you will be able to feather the spool with your little finger during your drift. Then when you get a hit, using the same finger you just clamp down on the spool and use your finger as the drag. The only thing is you have to keep pressure on that spool at all times or you will get a hair ball real fast. You get used to it fast, Trust me don't buy a centerpin with a drag.

If you want to see it in action check out my trip this past April in Idaho. There are a few good pin shots, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1FPAb_nVT4&feature=channel_page 
    post edited by Ron Gleason - 2009/08/11 19:54:56
    jimh
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: new rod/reel 2009/08/12 08:51:07 (permalink)
    Good Morning dru2112,

You must be thinking of someone else although that 6 pak sure does sound good.

Tight Lines, Jim
    Jump to: