Just what we need......more rain.

Author
Duane
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 106
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/29 20:24:19 (permalink)

Just what we need......more rain.

What is with the weather these days? You get a day of a little sun followed by a ton of rain. Looks like fishing the streams or rivers may be out for the weekend. When will good old mother nature let up.

13 Replies Related Threads

ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/29 20:29:14 (permalink)
    This summer has been driving me nuts, when i'm working it is beautiful out.
    Then as soon as I grab my fishing pole the sky opens up
    I was planning on fishing the hudson tomorrow, but now it is not looking so good
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/29 20:33:14 (permalink)
    Life throws ya lemons ... make lemon-aide

Yes the rivers and streams may be shot but find a small lake and give it hell. The fish are already wet, they don't care. And i have yet to catch a fish from my couch or sitting at my desk at work.

Last year i had one of best days the following morning after we got hit with heavy rain just like this.
    SO my honey hole is calling ... i'll be on the water by 6am

'

Really though, i don't want to sound like a jerk, i always look for the good in everything.  But yes we are getting lots of rain ... the parking lots in Coxsackie were under water today, roads closed too. 

BB
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/07/29 20:35:59
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/29 20:45:03 (permalink)
    Yeah i hear ya. unfotunately the "bill fairy" tooketh away my hopes of a pelican this year, so i'm stuck on the bank for now

That picture is crazy!! I heard southern ny got pounded today!!
    Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/29 21:17:22 (permalink)
    Very good points BB. Guess I will have to hook the boat up and take a little ride this weekend.
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/29 22:18:27 (permalink)
    Like Bri said, when the weather sends lemons...

High water can be good, puts largemouth right up next to shore, all of the watersheds are fully recharged, and all of the trout streams will have no problem with summer low, hot water.   As for me, for some reason the walleyes have been biting after rain storms this year. I'm going tommorrow morning before work.
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/30 05:39:27 (permalink)
    I love fishing in the rain, thunderstorms tend to keep me away, that whole getting struck by lightning thing. The rain has kept our streams running nice and cold this year, the only thing I'll complain about is the mosquitos, got chewed up 2 nights ago.

Brian, you said you've never caught a fish at work, I thought your avatar picture was you sitting at your desk

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Ragincajun94
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/30 10:15:01 (permalink)
    Fished in the rain last night from 4:30 to 9pm. It was coming down steady and never let up. As long as their isn't thunder or lightning it ROCKS. Had a rain suit which was all I needed. We caught more Small Mouth bass then usual too. However, looking at that pic above, that is way too much water.

I always feel more alive when I am throwing my pole into a wet spot.
    got em
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/30 13:16:30 (permalink)
      launch the boat at grand union..float over to paulies and get a pizza..then hit the bev. center..then troll around stewarts,the bank,yeah coax. got hit hard yesterday...maybe topwater..nice pic.,bb ...
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/30 21:40:56 (permalink)
    Great point Brian, The best crappie fishin trip I ever had! I almost missed due to the severe rains and winds in Louisiana. Its the trip that put me to fishin for crappie Jack Jennings one of the best crappie fisherman in the south and well known had invited us to go with him but due to the bad weather the night and week before I told him no, beside I was an avid bass man didnt care about nothing else, BUT! the last minute I called him back and told him I would, short side is he put us onto the deep river bed crappie and we caught 450 crappie almost all of them where 1 1/2 lbs and had about 15 of them go to 3 lbs plus they where in deep water about 60ft down so it was awesome. glad I went.
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/30 21:41:41

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/30 21:43:09 (permalink)
    took these shots around 7pm tonight.
    Anyone up for fishing the Kinderhook tomorrow ? i think they might be hitting light Cahills

This is my Aunts house a 1/2 mile down hill from me on the Kinderhook Creek. So glad I live on the hill(she is staying at my house now). My other Aunt (her sister was on the news tonight. She used to live next dood and was quoted as saying this is why she moved.I have never seen this in the summer, spring yes but summer, NEVER!

This is from my house looking down in the Stockport Creek (Where the Kinderhook & Claverack form the Stockport)
    I fish here for Stripers & Smallies, Think they are biting ?

Here is a little further up in Kinderhook, This morning the police told me to drive through this. It wasnt quite this bad but sure had me wondering.

So what do you think BB & Santa, I see an open seat. Thinking topwater action !!!

This s

post edited by hot tuna - 2009/07/30 21:46:50

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    got em
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/31 00:50:48 (permalink)
    come on rj,wheres your sense of adventure??? get your kayak out and go for it...
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/31 09:15:57 (permalink)
    my gosh you is right! last time up with my bro, both days late TS..i bet it is flooding today knowing yesterdays rain flooded some areas. i'm going to pass this weekend, neices birthday party anyways! you all be careful in those streams and even in them lakes..always get off the water when you hear thunder rolling in..it isn't worth the risk.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Just what we need......more rain. 2009/07/31 09:20:31 (permalink)
    my gosh tuna! that reminds me of my 5th wheeler under water to the first deck! happened three times but her floor is clean and tight ..i put her up on cement blocks a few seasons ago hoping to avoid pain in the A wetvacing.. with all this rain it won't be long for the resi to start spilling..thats when i really start watching the weather!

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Jump to: