what is the technique for dubbing

Author
campbell8272
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/26 09:59:03 (permalink)

what is the technique for dubbing

im new to fly tying and was wonder the correct way to dub your fly materials. I have looked around on google with no good results and i have no one to show me the correct way. Im not sure if all materials are the same process but i was trying to figure out how to tie a scud

8 Replies Related Threads

chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: what is the technique for dubbing 2009/07/26 11:24:51 (permalink)
    look through a few of these episodes:
    FlyTying: The Angler's Art on OMN

» O'Reilly's Fly Tying - Online Trout Fly Tying Patterns Dry Flies, Nymphs & Streamers
     Should help you out.Or, you could go to a local fly shop,ask them to show you. They will be more than willing to show you.

Or, if you live in Erie Come the August PSA meeting the second Wed of the month.
    I can show you.
    http://pasteelhead.org/
    The PA Steelhead Association holds regular monthly meetings at 7 pm on the second Wednesday of the month at the American Legion Post 773 at 4109 West 12th Street in Erie. This is on the south side of West 12th Street (State Route 5), just east of the Erie Airport. There are no meetings during the months of May, June and July.

We meet in the banquet room (to the left when you walk in). We encourage and welcome members to attend to share their views and opinions and of course the local public is always welcome. Meetings focus on items pertaining to the mission of the club, fund raising events, and local public and political issues affecting our fisheries. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is frequently represented at our meetings for questions and recommendations and of course there is plenty of time to discuss fishing, local secrets, and the catch of the day.

GET DIRECTIONS!Chris 
    post edited by chrisrowboat - 2009/07/26 11:29:39

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: what is the technique for dubbing 2009/07/26 12:05:59 (permalink)
    dubbing? wax the thread an twist on dubbing

here is a goo-back scud i tie
    sz20
    muskrat
    goo-back

http://clearcuregoo.com
    good stuff (and has my fly)

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: what is the technique for dubbing 2009/07/26 12:15:09 (permalink)
    Get to the point on the hook where you're ready to dub, and get about 3-5" of thread between hook and bobbin. Wax the thread. Get a TINY pinch of dubbing, then pull it in half. Put half back in the bag, then take the other half and pull it apart, almost to the point that it seperates. Basically, you're just thinning it out. Pick it apart until the mass of loosened dubbing is of a fairly uniform consistency (not, like, with very few fibers on the ends, and a dense clump in the middle), and so that the mass is about the length of your free thread.

Push the elongated mass of picked out dubbing against the thread, the wax should help it adhere. For a tighter dubbed body, roll the dubbing down onto the thread between your thumb and forefinger, for a looser, fluffier/buggier dub, dont roll down quite so tight.

Wind this section of thread onto the area you want to dub.

Remember, its easy to add another tiny pinch to complete your dub if you dont have enough, but its a real pain in the butt to remove dubbing from a body thats too thick or clumpy. Scuds are good practice because theyre easy, such a big part of it is dubbing, and the shellback & ribbing will help disguise minor inconsistencies. In my experience, the finer synthetic dubbings are easier to use than coarser, natural dubbings, but the synthetics tend to be used for dries, which require a greater degree of precision than most nymphs.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: what is the technique for dubbing 2009/07/26 21:41:00 (permalink)
    Right, use about half the amount of dubbing you think you need. The easiest way to learn is to watch someone. You'll be surprised how easy it is. Seeing it done makes the light bulb go on faster than reading about it, I'd say. Some materials are easier to dub than others -- you might use rabbit to get the hang of it.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: what is the technique for dubbing 2009/07/26 22:43:57 (permalink)
    Agreed. Rabbit is nice for nymphs and comes in a variety of colors. It's pretty easy to work with, but again, as common wisdom goes: Take half of what you think youll need, divide that in half, then use half of that on your fly, and then you'll only have twice as much as you really need.

For dries, I've been using Superfine, and its about the easiest thing to dub that I've come across.

Coarser synthetic dubbings are among the most willful, and therefore the most difficult to dub effectively, as they dont tend to take well to remaining twisted around the thread.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: what is the technique for dubbing 2009/07/27 08:27:02 (permalink)
    always twist the dubbing on the thread in the same direction. if you'r building up a body do not try and get a bunch of dubbing on the thread all at once. just use the normal amount of dubbing and go back over the body with more. squirrel and antron dubbing is a little more difficult than other furs.
    i don't wax my thread but will use the dubbing wax on my fingers when dubbing if needed. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: what is the technique for dubbing 2009/07/27 12:24:39 (permalink)
    You can always use a dubbing loop instead of the pinch on method. Its good for bigger flies and makes the body more durable.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: what is the technique for dubbing 2009/07/27 22:20:23 (permalink)
    >>>always twist the dubbing on the thread in the same direction.<<<

Great point, doubletaper!! I often see dubbers applying the stuff as if they're rolling a pill in their fingertips. Nonono. The basic move (for RH) is just thumb and fingertip lightly together, and spin so the dubbing is being laid on in a counter clockwise direction. Think: snapping your fingers w/out the snap. Adding a little tackiness to your fingertips can also help, esp if yr skin is dry or rough.

I wish someone had given me those tips a decade or two ago. Personal experience is fine, but slow.
    Jump to: