Author
wags34
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/16 20:40:47 (permalink)

Black Lake info

Hello All,
My first post. Im from Pittsburgh and will be heading to Black Lake for a week in mid-September. I am looking to catch pike and bass. Am I going to the right lake? Any tips for this lake. I have fished this area, St. Lawrence, Grass River, Raquette River and such and I really like the area. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, any other water I should hit for pike while Im up there?
thanx
Bruce

13 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 11:29:20 (permalink)
    I don't know much about Black Lake, but I do know it is part of the Indian River system, so you should find some pike.  If you get bored or want a change of scenery, head south a bit on the Indian River and fish Indian Lake itself, or the smaller Lake Abanakee just downstream...

Both hold a lot of pike and bass, and there are plenty of rainbow and brown trout in the river between lakes...

Makes for a fun and diverse day.   Yellow "five of diamonds" spoons will take plenty of fish in both lakes.
    wags34
    New Angler
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 13:33:38 (permalink)
    Neversink,
    Thanx for the info.  As info, I catch and release absolutely everything so those fish will be in there for you to catch too!  Not too much better than buzzing a spinner bait just above the weeds and watching a pike slam and miss it 3 or 4 times.  Makes you feel like you are the worst fisherman in the world.
    One of my best smallmouth days ever was wading the Grass River and between my son and I we caught an incredable amount.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 14:44:02 (permalink)
    it appears Jimmy gave the info as best known and good indeed.  Wish I or more people could help and support your questions but really I don't know that much of that area. For sure I have been told that the grass river holds big musky and seen the pic's to support that. good luck on the trip & fishing and please report back .
                                                        Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 15:22:30 (permalink)
    It's funny how little exposure I have to the "Western ADKs"...

The Albany area people go much different places than the Syracuse people, it seems...

Plenty of room and water for everyone- you just gotta' poke around!
    wags34
    New Angler
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 16:08:41 (permalink)
    Hot Tuna,
    That entire area is amazing.  The way you guys dam a river and then 5 miles later dam it again.  It creates some great fishing water.  I love to wade and the Grass is as close to perfect as I have ever found.  I have a favorite stream in Western PA that I frequent (French Creek) and it reminds me of the Grass.  I only make it up there once a year and I try different spots.  I have yet to see major crowds but I guess that is why I really like the area.  I just wish it wasnt so far from Pittsburgh.  I appreciate the input and we will see what happens.  I will do a fishing report when I get back.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 16:12:28 (permalink)
    Neversink took me there in the early spring. Sweet place indeed but sadly I have not returned. It is in my memory banks for sure.

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 16:22:11 (permalink)
    sounds like your talking way western new york up by the st. lawrence right? If its up by the grass river jimmy may get you a little confused. There is an Indian river up their or by lake abankee. The one in the northwest corner of the state is a pike, bass, walleye and dump into indian lake which has the same fish.

The indian river in the dacks is much different and so is the lake.

If you are heading up near the St. lawrence its not the one in the dacks and I am very familiar with that area, we used to take an annual pike trip to the indian river downstream of theresa, all those lakes and rivers up there are loaded with pike. We picked up a local topo map from a bait shop, and it was well worth it. Pike in the day, walleyes at night and drinking the whole time, those were the days.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 16:33:59 (permalink)
    JK , that was my thought . But wags also seems to know the dam>dam ADK west system as well.  The grass I have been shown musky pic's of is out of the blue line.   

give the folks some advice

wags34
    New Angler
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 17:45:29 (permalink)
    JKBugger,
    Yes, Im talking about up by the St. Lawrence. That entire area is unbelievable. Within about 10 miles you have the Grass, Raquette and St. Regis, then the St. Lawrence. Anywhere else in the country would love to have any ONE of those and you guys have 4 that close. Then there are the smaller lakes all over the place. I just decided on Black Lake cause I could find lodging and it looks interesting. Im hoping the weeds will still be up and still have some warm weather for wading. I dont want to rush the summer by but I cant wait till my week in mid-September.
    thanx for the advice
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 18:01:21 (permalink)
    Sorry Wags, I looked at a map and learned a little something about Black Lake this evening...

Turns out it isn't anywhere near where I thought it was.  I heard a lot about it and wrongly assumed it was somewhere above Indian Lake, Cedar River Flow, etc...  But I was thinking of the wrong system altogether.

Funny thing is, they both have nice pike and are both dammed up in pretty good intervals...

Sorry about the confusion (but for the record, I would still send out a yellow "Five of Diamonds" anyway!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 19:46:11 (permalink)
    wag, you may google up black lake ny and find articles.. i remember last pre season ice i found a few interesting articles worth the read.Black Lake is a lake in the northern part of New York in the United States and is the largest lake in Saint Lawrence County. The lake is south of the Saint Lawrence River and parallels the river for many miles.

Black Lake is of glacial origin, having been formed by the melting of continental glaciation in the state around 12,000 years ago.

Water flows into the lake from several sources, the largest being the Indian River. The lake drains into the Oswegatchie River and then into the Saint Lawrence River. The northeast end of the lake is south of Ogdensburg, New York.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/17 20:56:07 (permalink)
    wags,
    Like i said we used to rent a cabin on the indian river above indain lake and below the ****. You need a boat there, not a wading river,very slow and weedy and loaded with pike. 20-30 fish days we pretty common, not a lot of monsters but loaded with fish. Huge largemouths and some nice walleyes. All the lakes up there are great and pretty much have the same fish.

It's a great place to explore, but we mainly stuck to the indian, easy in a canoe, little current and easy to fly fish 'cause that was our goal.

Black lake, only fished it in the winter, has great fish populations, but that's pretty much my best info. Check out the indian if you are after pike, like I said there is a bait shop up there where we got a great local topo map of all the lakes, tells fish species and parking, worth the money. good luck and lets us know how you did.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Ragincajun94
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Black Lake info 2009/07/23 09:18:36 (permalink)
    Wags,
    I am also a member of the blacklakeny.com website forum. It is a forum all about it. You should check it out before September. Indian river like said above is at the southern end and I fished it yesterday. Very fun and deep in spots with tons of pike and walleye on the bottom. I have seen pictures of big pike and heard that most big ones are caught during ice fishing on Black lake but in the summer have only caught small ones from 12 to 23 inches but small. However, large mouth bass...AWESOME. Biggest this year for me is 16.5" but I am new to the lake. Guys are catching 21" ones that they are reporting. The fish population overall is just astonishing. This year alone, the DEC put 100,000 walleye fingerlings in the lake. Only 2 tips...if you are pike fishing, buy a cabela's canadian spoon color orange hammer.....and second tip...BUY A HOT SPOT MAP at the local shops before going anywhere.

I always feel more alive when I am throwing my pole into a wet spot.
    Jump to: