Steely's Dot (Egg Pattern)

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/15 13:20:29 (permalink)

Steely's Dot (Egg Pattern)

As we all know there are a multitude of egg paterns out there with what I always thought was the best being the Blood Dot. I always thought that what made this pattern so successfull was that it sank quickly and showed translucency. This past spring I was not able to make it to Erie but I gave some egg patterns to a buddy of mine from here in southeastern Pa. to try out and he had some good success with them for steelies. They are tied a little different from the norm and I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to tie eggs this way. Perhaps you did. I just call it Steely's Dot for the heck of it. Instead of tying the material (Glow Bug Yarn) on top of the hook, try to spin the material in a spinner and wrap it around the shank. About halfway in, tie a slightly different color in on top of the hook shank and continue wrapping the spun yarn around the shank in front of the strand of different color yarn. Try to keep the whole fly in as much of a ball as you can although it will tend to elongate a bit. Of course the Blood Dot is not tied in a ball and it too is a bit of a oval shape like this one is. Anyway, when complete it has a natural milky veil coming out the sides and has some great translucency to it. It also sinks quite well. Here are some pics explaning the whole tie. I used a larger hook here than normally so my camera could get a better focus on it.I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel - just trying out a different "twist" to an old pattern. Also when I tie this, I don't use near as much material either. Good Luck with it.

Hook: #12 - 16 Daiichi X point - X510 or equiv.
Glow Bug Yarn seperated and spun

1. Start with the hook in the vise and the thread ready to tie.

2. Create a loop of thread by wrapping the bobbin around your finger and tying the loop in. Attach a spinner to the loop.

3. Take some Glow Bug Yarn, seperate it into fine strands and loosely lay it on one of the thread strands within your loop.

4. Spin the loop just enough that it creates a  strand of yarn with the fibers still sticking out.

5. Wrap this loop around the shank trying to keep it into as much of a ball shape as possible.

6. Tie in on top of the shank a strand of yarn a slightly different color.

7. Create another loop and spin a small amount of yarn like you did before. wrap a small ball in front of the strand of different color yarn and trim off the strand of different color yarn close to the "body" of the egg. This picture doesn't show the different color yarn -- too much flash I guess. Whip finish the fly.

***Here's what the "Steely's Dot" looks like in a glass of water.

post edited by steely34 - 2009/07/15 13:38:07

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

4 Replies Related Threads

fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Steely's Dot (Egg Pattern) 2009/07/15 15:50:37 (permalink)
    nice job i will have to try that thanks for sharing the info

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Steely's Dot (Egg Pattern) 2009/07/15 23:57:07 (permalink)
    I'd eat it.

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Steely's Dot (Egg Pattern) 2009/08/04 07:01:21 (permalink)
    Looks good, might have to try.
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Steely's Dot (Egg Pattern) 2009/08/04 09:47:26 (permalink)
    I think I will try a few of them.

DAS BOOT!
    Jump to: