canoe question

Author
jkbugger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/11 16:40:27 (permalink)

canoe question

sorry guys not a fishing question, just curious if anyone has come up with a solution for this.

Bought a 15ft fiberglass canoe this year to replace the monster aluminum one I had. I can secure it no problem to my vehicle, but when I hit about 55mph the bottom of the canoe vibrates and makes a horrible noise, it doesn't move the canoe or anything just more annoying.
Wondering if anyone has a quick fix, I use raquet straps and everything just curious for any suggestions.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
Charles Haas

4 Replies Related Threads

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: canoe question 2009/07/11 18:34:00 (permalink)
    It maybe the straps that are vibrating!!! I stopped mine by twisting the strap a few time!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: canoe question 2009/07/15 11:16:44 (permalink)
    I have found that the straps (versus ropes) also vibrate once you reach a certain speed.  I agree with Perch.  Its most likely the straps that are vibrating and not the canoe.  Thanks for the twisting tip Perch, I hadn't heard about that.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: canoe question 2009/07/15 12:44:30 (permalink)
    Twisting works good, no doubt...  My old system used to SCREAM down the highway once I hit about 40mph... 

If you have a roof rack, I have found the cheap ol' ratchet straps to be INVALUABLE and they don't vibrate.  The straps with hooks on the end, instead of one long strap and threaded fastener.  

The ratchet straps are like ten bucks a set and mine have lasted three seasons now with use several times a month.  I also found a longer version of the same design in one of those 'bargain tool bins' for like four bucks.  Ratchet and everything for a vehicle without a roof rack to hook to.  You are MORE than welcome to HAVE that strap anytime, since it has been sitting in my vehicle all summer and will never be used.  Heck, it is still in its packaging!

Come on by the office anytime and pick 'er up if you want!  And also, we can snatch a few little brownies from the "Little O" if you have the time.  Got three yesterday after work- all dinks.  The 3wt is perfect for this stream!

A fiberglass boat might not be conduscive to the heavy pressure a ratchet provides though, you might wanna' go easy on it the first time or two.  Fiberglass sucks to patch up, of course.

On the royalex Old Town I just crank 'er down as tight as she will go and off I go!

On the kevlar/carbon Bell Canoe, I have to go lighter on the pressure to prevent flexing the thinner material too much.  Sure, kevlar might be bulletproof, but it bends like crazy, much like fiberglass.

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: canoe question 2009/07/15 13:08:03 (permalink)
    The ratchet straps are like ten bucks a set and mine have lasted three seasons now with use several times a month.  I also found a longer version of the same design in one of those 'bargain tool bins' for like four bucks.  Ratchet and everything for a vehicle without a roof rack to hook to.

The ratchet style straps kick @$$ , very handy for everything and not that exspensive. I keep a few in the truck at all times.

Jump to: