Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/06 12:22:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pxatim

ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

ORIGINAL: pxatim

So if you get two limits of perch from two different states... what happens if you get checked in PA with a **** load of fish? You can't really prove that you caught them in two different states can you? Doesn't seem worth it.

If I get checked, it will be at the dock, which, yes, is in two different states. I am not saying that this happens every weekend. But, when the perching is hot and the lake is nice, I am out there on a meat run....

So you're sayin for example... you'll launch in PA get your limit... then dock. Drive to say OH launch again and get another limit? I could see how that would be fine. I guess I thought you were sayin you'd get a limit in PA and go to OH in your boat and get another limit and go back to PA to dock.

Nope, when the perching is hot, I go out in the am out of conny or Walnut..Either or...Get my limit, go home throw the fish in my standup cooler....Eat lunch...wash the cooler out and repack with Ice and go to the next state, whichever I didn't hit in the morning....

Now, If I go out of conneaut and go east to Pa line, you must have both licenses and must abide by either state's limitations and regs....

JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/08 11:23:49 (permalink)
I think it has more to do with ego than anything else. Guys that can limit out quickly think they are better fishermen than everybody else. Its like saying I caught this many fish and they were this big, just an extension of that mentality. And its part of some fisherman's evolution too. Take the guy who starts fishing, he just wants to catch some fish, next its a numbers game, then  catching them using only one technique(Fly, CP Etc..) then on home made lures/flies, then just big fish, not worrying about numbers. It could be like that ! Now they want to see how fast they can limit out since they know how to catch them ????

In todays busy world, sometimes getting out, catching a quick limit and getting back in is necesarry if your a "meat hunter". I know I have less time now that I have kids... You gotta take what you can get sometimes.

I personally like to spend as much time of the water as I can, cause my days on the water is limited. But to each, his own. If those guys wanna rush around like crazy, let them, just be safe when doing so.
As always just my $.02
harrypelles
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1007
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/08 12:55:32 (permalink)
That's some pretty insightful two cents, JEB. Never thought of it that way, but I can see some of all of it in my mentality... Maybe a different ratio, but its there.

But the biggest matching part is your last line, spending as much time as I can. I hear you.
pxatim
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4786
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/08 12:58:18 (permalink)
I fish for myself and my own reasons... I ignore what everyone else does.
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/08 14:03:40 (permalink)
ya really....Why do people care so much that people talk about how fast they get their limit??? Who cares...If you wanna go out perching or walleye fishing all day then go.that's your perogative....But, when the perch come in the boat two at a time, what are you gonna do? Take a 10 min break in between drops? Don't set the dipsy back in the water?

deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/08 22:09:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: JEB

I think it has more to do with ego than anything else. Guys that can limit out quickly think they are better fishermen than everybody else. Its like saying I caught this many fish and they were this big, just an extension of that mentality. And its part of some fisherman's evolution too. Take the guy who starts fishing, he just wants to catch some fish, next its a numbers game, then  catching them using only one technique(Fly, CP Etc..) then on home made lures/flies, then just big fish, not worrying about numbers. It could be like that ! Now they want to see how fast they can limit out since they know how to catch them ????

In todays busy world, sometimes getting out, catching a quick limit and getting back in is necesarry if your a "meat hunter". I know I have less time now that I have kids... You gotta take what you can get sometimes.

I personally like to spend as much time of the water as I can, cause my days on the water is limited. But to each, his own. If those guys wanna rush around like crazy, let them, just be safe when doing so.
As always just my $.02

well said , right on the money there Jeb, almost like I said it myself.

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/08 22:17:40 (permalink)
"So when all you competition fishermen start bragging to some guy at the boat ramp about how quickly and deadly your fishing trip was with a sense of arrogance and the guy stops talking to you'll know why....remember: it might be me."

OR. You could smile, thank them for the optomistic send off, and rejoice that they are back at the dock, and one less boat to "share the water" with.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/08 22:22:36 (permalink)
Nice post Jeb.

If any of yinz ever need an "ego check"....fish with Deetz a few hours.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/08 22:36:56 (permalink)
Very kind Slick thanks , but I enjoy just being out there fishing , numbers or not , you know what I mean.

I am certainly no pro by any means, I just have put the time in and know a few things. Always learning each time out.

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/09 08:33:06 (permalink)
I prefer NHRA fishing to NASCAR fishing
just keep a few
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/09 11:55:25 (permalink)
JEB,
Interesting observation.
just keep a few
New Angler
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/09 15:01:39 (permalink)
JEB,
Yeah i can see your point about the ego thing. I saw this very thing happen with some deer hunters over the years too.
When I would go hunting as a youth with my dad and brothers in the late 70's up into the early 80's you would see most hunters like us driving cars and parking along the roads and then walk up into the woods to sit and wait quietly and motionless for hours. We were taught patience and perseverence at an early age. After we shot our deer we would then tag and pull out our "draggin rope" and start the arduous journey out of the woods , sweating and taking off layers of clothing,walking ahead a few hundred feet- lay down our clothes and rifle then go back to drag the deer up to that spot , then repeat the process until we reached the car....load it in the trunk and go home at the end of the day..wow what memories were made spending a whole day with the brothers and dad.
Around the mid 80's I noticed a lot of hunters driving large pickups and driving in the fields to pick up the deer and avoiding the character building "drag". Then sometime along the late 80's or early 90's the guys started using 3 and 4 wheelers to drag the deer and also to get to the spot to hunt. And some never left the seat except to urinate then back on the 4 wheeler to hunt.
Around the time I gave up hunting was when I was sitting quietly on the hot seat leaning my back against the tree and I heard the rumble of the 4 wheeler coming...so close in fact he drove right up to me and asked me if I saw anything today...my reply was "a few doe" how about you? "Nothing" he replied and went on his way to hunt some more.  It's a pity technology has to change some things for the worse but thats human nature for some I guess to take things to the limits without considering others.
I don't want to sound negative about fishing and hunting..don't take me wrong..the ones that do these thing are the miinority and I know a lot of very ethical hunters and fisherman but it was my choice to discontinue hunting and preserve the memories the way they were..Fishing on the other hand I will never stop doing till I can physically no longer enjoy it.
So to sum it all up maybe there is too much disposable income or the ease to get credit that drives some people to have the biggest,latest model,fastest toys available and maybe the reason some of us were able to enjoy it more when we were younger is because our parents did'nt have the income to waste and we drove cars to hunt dragged deer with our feet. Maybe I reminisce too much but my dad never had a truck and never trailered a boat as he had a car topper 12' boat and motor he carried in the trunk , but boy did we fish..
I admit I can afford the newer technology and the safer boat and motor but I hope I can never afford to lose the simple memories that keep me in check with myself and down to earth.
Oh well these are just some thoughts to humble us all...

JEB
Pro Angler
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/13 11:20:23 (permalink)
Harry,Mr.Slick, Deetz & JKAfew. Thanks ! Thats just how I see it and even if they don't realize it thats probbably whats going on.
just keep a few
New Angler
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/13 11:59:52 (permalink)
JEB,
I read your blog site..If only more dads could be like you!  Your kids will be forever affected by your examples.
The memories you make with your kids will remain for their entire life and their childrens lives.
Thanks for the site...:-)
JEB
Pro Angler
RE: Speed Fishing AKA NASCAR fishing 2009/07/14 09:03:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: just keep a few

JEB,
I read your blog site..If only more dads could be like you!  Your kids will be forever affected by your examples.
The memories you make with your kids will remain for their entire life and their childrens lives.
Thanks for the site...:-)

Thanks, I love spending time w/my girls on the water, its great. The memories I most vividly remeber from my youth invole my dad and I fishing & hunting. I just wanted to try and pass that on to my kids. I try to take them whenever I can. I even got my 5 year old interested in golf now. We go to the driving range together and hit balls.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: