Strike King Coffee Tubes VS Berley power tubes

Author
loaftech
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 269
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/27 20:05:54 (permalink)

Strike King Coffee Tubes VS Berley power tubes

hey guys, just figured I would share a little "research" I did tonight with the coffee tubes.  I was at cloe lake in central western PA and found some decent largemouth close to shore.   I was fishing a 4.5" coffee tube in green pumpkin weightless.   I swam it buy the first bass and he came over and ate it but instantly spit it back out.  I kept hoping and swimming the tube as there was another bass in line with me he sucked it in and instantly spit it back out.

next cast the first bass sucked it in again and I set the hook and landed him.  After that fish I switched to a 4.5" berkley power tube in green pumpkin, hopped it down by the same bass that ate the strike king tube and the bass sucked it in he held on to it for close to 15 seconds before spitting it out!!   the next cast he sucked it in again!!!! this time I set the hook and landed the bass.

I switched from the power tubes to the coffee tubes after my boater had great luck with them down on the chesapeak bay in the bassmasters 1st northern open event this year.  Since switching from the power tubes i thought I had been catching less fish than normal but with all things considered couldent really see blaming it on the tubes ( after all most of the time its the loose nut holding the rod!)  but after tonight I dont think bass like coffee as much as strike king thinks they do!

7 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Strike King Coffee Tubes VS Berley power tubes 2009/05/27 21:28:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharin your experience. Nice to get some "field tested" info.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Strike King Coffee Tubes VS Berley power tubes 2009/05/27 22:11:10 (permalink)
    I haven't had much luck on the coffee tubes either. Advertising seemed like it was worth a try but now I won't buy anymore.
    loaftech
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Strike King Coffee Tubes VS Berley power tubes 2009/05/27 22:16:22 (permalink)
    i actually have a good buddy who is a plastics engineer who I am working with right now on a tube a goby and a "senko" type bait when there done maybe some of you guys can help me "test" them out?

Estimated
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Strike King Coffee Tubes VS Berley power tubes 2009/05/27 23:46:12 (permalink)
    From what I have seen Berkley Power Tubes are better for Smallmouth  but I use the 3" 
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Strike King Coffee Tubes VS Berley power tubes 2009/05/28 08:25:41 (permalink)
    I have used both and definitely have had better success with the berkely power tubes.  Like you said they eat it and hold on where the coffee tubes they spit out quickly.  The 3 and 4" pumpkinseed tubes have given me the most success.

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Strike King Coffee Tubes VS Berley power tubes 2009/05/28 17:17:06 (permalink)
    watermelon seed gitzits or watermelon seed bass pro shops tender tubes, both 3.5 inches. only tube ever needed. biggest largemouth- 8.5 lbs and biggest smallmouth 5 1/4 lbs. WV and Susquehanna respectively. whatever they call the color its the old dark green with black spots.

i guess there is something to be said for using other colors of crawfish according to seasonal color variations and geographical color differences in crawfish but that color always works.

i have a small river in wv i am starting to fish for smallies and they are numerous. tied some hair jigs to use on the noodle rod in red, green, black, orange, and brown varieties. used diff shades of bucktail and added a little flash near the head. on the brown one i used a couple brown duck feathers. look like crawfish legs. on paper they should work. we'll see.
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: Strike King Coffee Tubes VS Berley power tubes 2009/05/29 14:50:59 (permalink)
    Very interesting research and analysis. A controlled experiment with interpretive results.

I'm sold on the findings.

Thank you for sharing, loaftech!
    Jump to: