Need to rent or borrow a good trailer for my 280 Baha

Author
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/26 16:16:33 (permalink)

Need to rent or borrow a good trailer for my 280 Baha

If anyone has a trailer that I could hull my Baha from Port Clinton to Erie PA I would be glad to pay to rent it. I have a yard trailer and do not trust it to hull the boat back. My Baha has twins so I need a trailer for twins. If anyone can help let me know.

7 Replies Related Threads

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Need to rent or borrow a good trailer for my 280 Baha 2009/05/27 10:38:21 (permalink)
    Why dont u just drive it down the lake?  I got a quote on moving a boat from Conneaut to Port Clinton was over $600 for a hauler with the proper permits...Thats alot of Gas.....

You should know every hauler Ive talked too claims Ohio is a Son of a B on towing something that large and If your are coming east down Route 2 then down 90 to Erie you are going to pass a state cop or 10 almost guaranteed.  Over 8'6'' you'll need the towing permits as well.

Have Happy Days drop it in at Port Clinton....Fill er' up....Hang a right and head east for 120miles or so....

120+ Miles, 20+mph (time = distance / Rate of Speed)....about 6hrs and its all done...Boat should have a 200+mile range easy on a full tank of gas...even with twins...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Need to rent or borrow a good trailer for my 280 Baha 2009/05/27 12:49:25 (permalink)
    Man, I have to agree with Carpet Bagger.   Just take a day and drive it.   I was going to buy a 32 footer from down here in KY till I saw what the price was to get it from where it is, to Erie.  Almost as much as the boat cost. 

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Need to rent or borrow a good trailer for my 280 Baha 2009/05/27 16:41:22 (permalink)
    Not to mention not just any trailer is going to be equiped for twins with the same deadrise...Each boat trailer has to be built to specs of a particular boat it is going to carry.  Having that much weight ontop of a trailer in a certain way can damage the trailer bunks, damage the trailer, and can put stress on parts of the boat hull as well.

I dont know the weight of the boat either...id say probaly the boat weighs atleast 6000lbs+ without any fuel in it, Trailer another 1500lbs...Plus the boat is too wide...I think you'll need a CDL License to move this boat on land (not 100% there)...You'll atleast proper towing permits for an oversized load...I dont think Id risk it...Like I said Route 2 and 90 are polluted with state police...Just took the exact trip last weekend with my legal trailer....The raw size of a 280 Baha on a trailer is going to be a little hard for them to look past and not ask a question or two especially rolling down the highway at 60mph...

Id take the long boat ride....least you can see how the motors run...Weekend weather looks good for a long stroll along the Lake Erie shoreline...Take some pictures it will be a nice trip.

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Buckets Charter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Need to rent or borrow a good trailer for my 280 Baha 2009/05/27 21:10:36 (permalink)
    I will let you borrow  a trailer cement head but you will need a real truck to pull it  Make the trip like real charter boats do hammers down 4.5 hours from wild wings to geneva the another 2 to erie
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Need to rent or borrow a good trailer for my 280 Baha 2009/05/27 22:28:48 (permalink)
    I'm still waiting on the call from Happy Days! They say it will be in the water and they will do a sea trial tomorrow. I just want the boat in Erie. I have 4 brandy new Canon electric's, Big Jon Mast, a quinn set of Craig Rod Holders and a triple set of Craig Rod Holders, and a new Lowrance just waitin around for there new destination! I am going to chance it and run it back. I just was being a chicken with a boat I've never heard run. It will be fine. If the water is going to be good and the boat check out it will be at the dock in Erie PA saturday or sunday.

I was hoping someone had a 280 with twins I could use to haul the boat back. A night trip would be trouble free!
    dublvision
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Need to rent or borrow a good trailer for my 280 Baha 2009/05/27 22:32:16 (permalink)
    IMHO, might as well just try and find a used one or buy new.  The fees for dropping and lifting EVERY season. The trailer will pay for itself in a couple years!, + its a GREAT selling kicker, when you decide to go bigger in 2 years!!
    mothermoose
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Need to rent or borrow a good trailer for my 280 Baha 2009/05/28 12:11:35 (permalink)
    You should call up to olcott or get hold of free spirit. A 31 footer just sank up there he might sell you his. Its 95ft. down now.

MM
    Jump to: